Hunting Partner/Companion SF Bay Area/Northern CA

jw710

FNG
Hi

I'm an aspiring beginning/intermediate hunter living in SF, looking for a hunting partner/companion to share some hunting adventures with. An experience shared is an experience doubled. To be honest, those who participate in the sport are an anomaly in San Francisco so this is the main reason I'm putting this ad out.
My reasons are varied on why I'd like to explore this hobby, but primarily I have a pull to get back into nature, to take a break from a bustling city while also getting organic meat the old fashioned way by hunting it myself.
Since I was a kid, I always wanted to explore the hobby as my childhood friend's family went on duck hunting trips every year. And when they came back, they told me of their fun weekend. As a kid growing up outside, exploring the hills, creeks, and streams with friends their stories were gold to me.
I can say I'm primarily a meat hunter and believe that most industrialized food today is really not optimum for one's health which is another reason for my interest in hunting.
Living in SF, I feel duck and goose hunting is the most readily available and economical. So if anyone out there is in search of a hunting companion who is easy to get along with, respectful, believes in safety while operating a firearm, believes in ethical kills, and is looking to explore the hobby, drop me a line and let's see if our personalities mesh.
My very first successful goose/duck hunt was last year in the Northeast zone on opening weekend. It was truly a memorable experience that I would like to repeat again, from waking up pre-dawn, to freezing my ass off in the blind, to experiencing a golden orange sunrise in the field amongst the green rolling hills, and to finally getting a combination of Canada geese, ducks, and speckle belly geese.
I'm also open to other game.
Please reach out if interested.

Regards,

Jeff

Marble

WKR
Jeff,

In November you can message me and I'll see what I can do to get you a little expereince. I'm pretty busy with work and hunting until then.

I may have some options or suggestions to help you out.

In the mean time...

Get a hunting license, deer tag and a rifle and go take some weekends this fall to at least get some experience. If this hobby is for you, you will be miserable, hungry, lost, confused, discouraged and frustrated. Not to mention unsuccessful.

You will then leave your spot and the first thing you will think of is your next trip...

The internet is cool to get info, but boots on the ground will make it all come together.

If you have questions about game care or gutting animals. YouTube and this forum has plenty of info.

Cheers!!

OP
J

jw710

FNG
Hi Marble,

Thanks for the help. I will drop you a line in November.

I purchased a Tikka rifle a while ago, have the hunting license, and have tagged along on a deer/elk hunt with my buddy in Montana a couple of times. I wasn't hunting with him, just along for the ride to experience the outdoors, freeze my ass off in the Bozeman mountains, and see how he does it.

However, deer and elk are DEFINITELY something I want to explore.

I've seen many videos on youtube, ie Randy Newberg, Hushin to name a couple. I've gutted and skinned a wild boar on an intro to Hunting course in central CA. Shot the wild boar on a private ranch, but it was NOT hunting, more like Shopping with a gun.

I realize the more I delve into this hobby, the more skill sets I have to hone and understand, but it is something I am very eager to do. Boots on the ground is something I'm clearly lacking since my days in hunting season are just a handful.

I've already booked my opening day with duck/goose this season so at least I have something on the books.

Again, thanks for reaching out,

Will be in touch,

Jeff

Marble

WKR
Copy all that. We can chat in Nov. If you have a B tag you can go hit any trailhead in the Trinity Alps and learn enough in a few trips to know what you dont know.

Boots on the ground. Making mistakes and having success, then repeating will get you to where you want to be.

Best of luck!