Hunting partner compatibility

philw

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with almost all that's been said but for me it comes down to compatibility on the important stuff and flexibility on everything else. You need compatibility on love for the hunt, hunting style, can-do attitude, willingness to put in the effort it takes and pitch in on all of the parts of the hunt that are more work than play, similar ethic, and so on.

And then flexibility comes into play, and that covers the "leadership" and decision-making aspects too. My favorite hunting partner and I both like to hunt out of a backpack so we have hunting styles that are somewhat similar, but different in many respects too. He hunts with a bow, and I ususally use a muzzleloader. He likes to set up and call (elk) and I prefer to either spot or hear the elk and make a silent stalk. We don't generally like the same foods, and he's just about half my age and could run me into the ground if he wanted to. But we're both flexible enough to get past those minor differences because we're compatible on the important stuff.

As far as either one of us taking the leadership role, that generally doesn't happen, and I don't believe that's critical with two people. On anything important we can always just briefly talk it over and reach a decision, because we trust each other's judgment and can set aside our egos and go with the best decision. And if we disagree, it's on the minor stuff and that's where flexibility comes in. We just agree to disagree and it doesn't matter. We may decide to hunt together (elk hunting) and call for each other, or we may split up and hunt separately for a day or two. It doesn't matter, and no one gets their feelings hurt. We may share a dinner if it's food we both like, or cook our own dinners separately.

We are fortunate enough to hunt a few areas that always contain elk, so we can pack in and set up a base camp. If one of us wants to take it easy and hunt within a mile or two of camp one day (usually me) and the other wants to go a few miles farther in, up above timberline and stay with a bull(s) for a few days, it's not a problem because we're comfortable hunting alone. If one of us is hunting alone and gets his elk, he'll dress it and start packing meat; if he can hook up with the other we'll both pack it out, if not, it's not a problem.

Last edited:

BMB

Lil-Rokslider
the guys i go with live in different areas of the country than me so we usually all swap places to hunt. for me they have to be willing to put in the work, not just reap the benefits. i try not to delve into ethics because that's a bit personal, as long as they obey the law i'm ok with it. and they dang sure better be able to keep up.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
The most crucial skill to me is capable and calm when things go awry. Physical fitness is nice, but I want someone who can stop my bleeding, make quick decisions, and get er done without screaming and running around... The rest all falls into place.. A good hunting partner is about the most important piece of gear a guy can have. Your life depends on that dude... Treatment of weapons, wilderness skills, fitness, determination, tenacity, and compatibility, all are worthless is a partner can't handle themselves well in a crisis.

Bighorse

WKR
Partners

Last fall after cutting up two bull Caribou on a high ridge my Right knee was hurt. I did the cutting and was kneeling for a long time or whatever. My knee wasn't right. Luke Moffat saw this and knowing we has about a 1500 foot drop to negotiate in the dark he took my load. I changed roles and began navigating.

Two days later I was rocking up a sheep mountain. The hunt was saved and everyone stayed intact.

A good partner has a back stronger than yours and an ego smaller than yours. You don't want any passive aggressive BS.

I've always liked the saying you have to be a friend to have a friend. That's how hunting works, it's resource gathering at the core. If you balance give and take with an individual a strong hunting relationship can develop.

Now I'm gonna head out and get a billy goat solo. Grin!

a3dhunter

WKR
He must have ear plugs, or be willing to put up with the snoring without whining!

A good sense of humor helps, on day 5 or day 8 when tired and sore, be willing to laugh.
Laughter will make any trip better.

One of my best memories in recent years involves laughter to the point of tears, then right up to the point of almost throwing up....don't know that I've ever laughed that hard.

JG358

WKR
He must have ear plugs, or be willing to put up with the snoring without whining!

A good sense of humor helps, on day 5 or day 8 when tired and sore, be willing to laugh.
Laughter will make any trip better.

One of my best memories in recent years involves laughter to the point of tears, then right up to the point of almost throwing up....don't know that I've ever laughed that hard.

Goat Wadi!!!!

I think I cried a bit after your Gatorade hot dog incident.