Hunting partner compatibility

2rocky

WKR
the solo vs group thread got me thinking what makes a good hunting partner. Lets start a list.

1. Has to be in similar physical condition or the more fit partner has to let the other set the pace and distance
  2. Each partner has to want the other to be successful MORE than themselves.
  3. Blaming the other partner is NOT an option.
  4. Each person has to be willing to end their hunt in order to help their partner, no questions asked.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Agreed on all of the above points.

5. Has to be willing to share the load on the way in and out.
6. Has to be able to keep his mouth shut on where the hunts take place.
7. Spots that are found together aren't hunted by other partners.
8. Both are will participants in the cost of gas, etc.

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
Agreed on all of the above. I believe that another major requirement is that both partners have similar ethics when it comes to being a sportsman in terms of only taking quality shots, etc.

JG358

WKR
9. (although it's really number 1 or 2 in my book) Has to be reliable! Be where you say you'll be when you say you'll be there.

miller1

Lil-Rokslider
Amen on all these, i went with the wrong group 2 years ago and it wasnt fun, they wanted a vacation and i wanted a hunting trip.

BuckSnort

WKR
If we agree we are going for 7 days then stick to the plan and stay for 7 days or until we get an animal(s) and have to get the meat out ...

This right here is my biggest pet peeve, and has made me scratch of a few people from my list of guys who I backpack with...by the way the list is pretty small only 2 people left..lol

Also similiar hunting styles. Of my hunting friends I'm the only one that sits and really glasses picking apart areas. Its funny becasue I have the worst eyes out of any of them which is what started me on relying on my glass so much but I see many more animals than them. They "think" they can see so they move,move,move but in reality they are missing so many animals. A couple are coming around now that I show them how many animals they miss. I can't imagine how frustrating it would be to get in the high country with one guy wanting to run and another wanting to sit on a ridge for hours.

T43

Lil-Rokslider
Reliability is my number 1 as well. I can put up with a lot but not doing what you say you will do when you say you will do it is an almost instant scratch off the list. My list keeps getting smaller as well.

broncoformudv

Lil-Rokslider
There are some great points here guys keep them coming!

1. Communication is a key one for me
2. A sense of humor, no point in getting pissed about things out of your control or letting little things ruin a perfectly good hunt/trip
3. Similar hunting styles, pyroducksx3 you hit this one on the head. Couple of my good friends want to run or ride all over the place which drives me crazy at times when I hunt with them
4. Partners that pitch in with setting camp up and taking it down, recovering stuck or broke down vehicles, cleaning and butchering game, etc, etc (why do some people think it is ok to stand there and watch you do all the work?)
5. Not having to be the shooter. Some people always have itchy trigger fingers or bow releases and just can't comprehend not being the first to shoot or even going home empty handed. For me my hunts are an experience just being in the great outdoors, if I get something that is icing on the cake but I am at that point now that I get as much if not more satisfaction watching other people take game animals

bkondeff

FNG
Many things here are true, but I think the most overlooked things are:

1. Compatible hunting style
2. Leadership role. This is tricky, but over time you find out who in a group makes decisions when certain situations come up, such that feelings don't get hurt. If you find you bicker because you both want to head diff directions often, then it won't last. This usually just evolves. It's fun when your son evolves into a leader after years of following.

OP
2rocky

2rocky

WKR
2. Leadership role. This is tricky, but over time you find out who in a group makes decisions when certain situations come up, such that feelings don't get hurt. If you find you bicker because you both want to head diff directions often, then it won't last. This usually just evolves. It's fun when your son evolves into a leader after years of following.

I hope it is fun for my Dad. Usually I have to figure out how to make it HIS idea!

I gotta work on keeping a good attitude. One hunt I drank dad's decaf in the morning and man I was cranky by 10 am.... I had packed some energy gels with caffeine, and couldn't find them. Oh, the headache! (low blood sugar and caffeine deprived). I'm lucky he didn't ditch me in a creek somewhere!

Funny though , elk bugles cure that....14 miles later...

muleman

WKR
2rocky's comments made me think about my current situation. I have always made an effort to take my kids, from 2yr+, on a "hunt"; usually at the expense of cutting my real hunt short. These "hunts" are usually during muzzleloader deer season and consist of a road hunt to locate deer and then a hike/stalk to try and tag one.

Currently I hunt with a brother and a mutual friend. All three of us have similar ambition, desire, ethics, and goals. Starting last year we have kids that are now joining us on our backpack hunts. Over the next couple of years we will all have one or more kids hunting with us.

My kids remind me weekly of something that we have done together that I might not remember. My point is that kids are sponges just waiting to soak up whatever is presented to them. Now as we start to have kids witnessing our every hunting move; I feel pressure to do everything 100% right. I'm not saying that we deliberately break laws or do things unethically. What I'm saying is that sometimes as we become comfortable we might create shortcuts or push the limits of an occasional rule or process.

I want my kids and those that hunt with me to have high ethical standards, be physically fit, be good examples of sportsmen and women. Personalities aside, I think that if my kids have the aforementioned characteristics then they will be the type of partner any of use would like to have on a trip.

bkondeff

FNG
Of course there is a difference between picking a non-family partner and family, especially kids.

You are lucky muleman. My 3 son's are all three very diff in motivation. Irregardless I have always tried to do as you and make one hunt a year that is all their's, so we can hunt at their speed and focus on them. My oldest is 21 now and doesn't require this. I hear you on how it really highlight's our decision making and wanting to set good examples. I was raised by a great dad, but his idea of fun was riding around in his jeep all day drinking beer and listening to patsy cline hoping a buck would stand on the side of the hill long enough to jump out. Funny how I really appreciate my dad, we had fun and I loved going, but no jeep's or beer for my kid's, though Patsy is still pretty good....

7mag.

WKR
I agree with muleman. My son is 6, and very interested in hunting. I feel very strongly about making sure he experiences hunting the way I see ethical and worthwhile hunting should be. I don't want to expose him to road hunting and or the kind of crap you see on T.V. I am planning on him being my dedicated hunting partner, starting in a few years, and I want to take him backpack hunting with me, but I am unsure if he is ready for that kind of commitment yet. When did you guys start taking your kids backpack hunting? Maybe I'll start a seperate thread about this.

Hawker

Lil-Rokslider
Preseason homework helps. It's nice knowing that your parter is doing all he can before the hunt.

tstowater

WKR
Most of the hunts I do are 1 on 1 guided (sheep or elk). I have done group hunts for elk, deer, etc. and have found some to be more of a vacation than anything else. I had a friend how wanted to hunt elk with me in Montana. He is older, out of shape, etc., etc. We went anyway. I did not have any expectation of success,which was the result. We had fun and enjoyed each others company, but I will not do that again. I have hunted with my older brother several times. He is in extremely good condition, but does not tend to be too reliable (other interests and family) so we don't go very often. We do try to plan ahead and I will hunt with him more. He has a different hunting style that I don't always agree with and we "discuss" that sometimes. Most of the time, based on what I want to hunt and my expectations, I am better off staying away from others and do it on my own or with a guide.

Conclusions: 1. What are your expectations of the hunt? 2. Have you hunted with the other person before? 3. Are you willing to let someone else "ruin" your hunt and not be pissed off about it or hurt your friendship? 4. What is the other party's expectation of the hunt?

My wife says that I generally don't play well with others and have unreasonable expectations. Most of the time I hunt to get away from the office and people and enjoy the outdoors. The last thing I want is a bad hunting trip due to incompatibility with the others in camp. If there are others in camp, I just hope that I don't know them before and that they are there to get the same results as me. I generally find these people very enjoyable to be around. This doesn't me I don't want to choose hunting partners, but I haven't found anyone locally that has the same passion as me. They might be here and I haven't found them yet. I might appear to be selfish and probably am, but at least I acknowledge what I want. I do also enjoy taking my kids, but the types of hunts are carefully chosen for our mutually benefit.