Hunting Partner

Tpeterson18

Banned
Being from Houston, It's not as easy to find ppl who enjoy going out west on DIY or backpack style hunts. Most folks I'm around in Houston love heading to the blind around 630am and watching deer walk into the corn. I work in oil and gas so I get a lot of opportunities to hunt high fence giant ranches. I do get enjoyment out of this too as it's generally what feeds my wife and I year around, but I definitely feel pulled to a different style of hunting, personally. I don't mean that to condemn stand hunting, as I understand most of our terrain is flat and we are able to corn, so by all means, use it. None of my hunting friends here think back country hunting is possible for them for various reasons whether legit or bad excuses: Money, time, effort, gear, or just desire. Even with all of them partaking in the podcast movement with Meateater, Gritty, Kifaru etc, etc.

As of now, my wife is the leading candidate for my hunting partner, heading to Idaho in October. She just enjoys hiking and is obviously supportive and just awesome.

With all of that said, what are some tactics maybe you guys have used to get your friends pumped about the "western style hunting" or was it just that the hunters you knew revered similar things about it? Maybe, I just go solo (in the future) and share how awesome of an experience it was to my best ability? Separately, how many ppl hunt with their spouse? She grew up in a hunting family but does not partake herself (other than the consumption) but with a passion for hiking, think she'd enjoy it, even with a ton of sitting and glassing?

If anyone is heading to Idaho in October solo and looking for someone willing to hunt their ass off, let me know and maybe we can bounce ideas off of each other or link camps.

if you have to get someone "pumped" to hunt out west, you are better off without them. finding good hunting partners is incredibly difficult, which is why I mainly hunt solo.

I have started hunting with my wife, but when we hunt together, it's all about her, i'm not actively trying to fill a tag, unless she doesn't have a tag for that season.

seriously, if you have to talk someone into going, how do you think they'll be when you guys have been hiking all over the mountains getting smoked and not seeing anything? you need to stay motivated and keep a good attitude, and sometimes it seems like everything is working against you.... you need the fortitude to push through that and change the momentum, and someone you need to convince to go is likely going to head the other direction when things aren't going well.

have you considered truck camping solo and day tripping in to hunt? stay mobile, don't bite off more than you can chew, and have nobody there to bring you down.

OP
Tpeterson18

Tpeterson18

Banned
Yeah I agree that is not the atmosphere I'm trying to achieve when getting rundown by terrain and getting blanked by deer. I kind of figured that was the answer I would receive but sometimes just hearing from another perspective makes it more clear.

I have thought about truck camping and that will most likely be what I end up doing this year. Maybe just staying out further a night or two to get used to the full experience. I have talked to a few ppl from Idaho on here that have been a tremendous help thus far.

I appreciate your feedback!!

you would probably love it. hunting season is my decompression time, and a lot of that is just getting away from people, and living and hunting at my pace.

you may get to the point pretty quick where you feel more effective solo, I know I do, and that adds to the satisfaction of the fall. if you like hunting with others, just don't try to force anyone or talk them into it, because I promise you'll be better off hunting by yourself.

absolutely you can go spend some nights in the hills, just don't make that your only plan, keep it realistic, being comfortable will make your trip a lot more fun than if you are a little overwhelmed and concerned.

if you go hike in a few miles, and are camping out, make sure you can get something out of the woods solo too if you kill something.... just stay within your realistic means.

people walk by a lot of game trying to "get deeper" more now than ever. it may be more crowded 4 miles from the road than one, it's just a mentality fad right now, don't fall into that, and check the good habitat whether it's 1/2 mile or 5 miles. a couple days will give you a good feel for where the pressure is.

keep it fun and don't overwhelm yourself, set yourself up to want to come back and do it again.... with a couple seasons of experience, you will be prepared to do anything you want to feel effective.

OP
Tpeterson18

Tpeterson18

Banned
Very strange. I have not posted anything in order to be banned although I did post in the infamous poser thread haha

OP
Tpeterson18

Tpeterson18

Banned
you would probably love it. hunting season is my decompression time, and a lot of that is just getting away from people, and living and hunting at my pace.

you may get to the point pretty quick where you feel more effective solo, I know I do, and that adds to the satisfaction of the fall. if you like hunting with others, just don't try to force anyone or talk them into it, because I promise you'll be better off hunting by yourself.

absolutely you can go spend some nights in the hills, just don't make that your only plan, keep it realistic, being comfortable will make your trip a lot more fun than if you are a little overwhelmed and concerned.

if you go hike in a few miles, and are camping out, make sure you can get something out of the woods solo too if you kill something.... just stay within your realistic means.

people walk by a lot of game trying to "get deeper" more now than ever. it may be more crowded 4 miles from the road than one, it's just a mentality fad right now, don't fall into that, and check the good habitat whether it's 1/2 mile or 5 miles. a couple days will give you a good feel for where the pressure is.

keep it fun and don't overwhelm yourself, set yourself up to want to come back and do it again.... with a couple seasons of experience, you will be prepared to do anything you want to feel effective.

That's great information and I appreciate the help!

zacattack

WKR
i Went solo last fall and now have 4 or 5 p
Being from Houston, It's not as easy to find ppl who enjoy going out west on DIY or backpack style hunts. Most folks I'm around in Houston love heading to the blind around 630am and watching deer walk into the corn. I work in oil and gas so I get a lot of opportunities to hunt high fence giant ranches. I do get enjoyment out of this too as it's generally what feeds my wife and I year around, but I definitely feel pulled to a different style of hunting, personally. I don't mean that to condemn stand hunting, as I understand most of our terrain is flat and we are able to corn, so by all means, use it. None of my hunting friends here think back country hunting is possible for them for various reasons whether legit or bad excuses: Money, time, effort, gear, or just desire. Even with all of them partaking in the podcast movement with Meateater, Gritty, Kifaru etc, etc.

As of now, my wife is the leading candidate for my hunting partner, heading to Idaho in October. She just enjoys hiking and is obviously supportive and just awesome.

With all of that said, what are some tactics maybe you guys have used to get your friends pumped about the "western style hunting" or was it just that the hunters you knew revered similar things about it? Maybe, I just go solo (in the future) and share how awesome of an experience it was to my best ability? Separately, how many ppl hunt with their spouse? She grew up in a hunting family but does not partake herself (other than the consumption) but with a passion for hiking, think she'd enjoy it, even with a ton of sitting and glassing?

If anyone is heading to Idaho in October solo and looking for someone willing to hunt their ass off, let me know and maybe we can bounce ideas off of each other or link camps.

I went solo last fall to Wyoming and had a blast. Now I’ve got 4 or 5 friends that want to go. I imagine one might actually commit. I’ll be honest I loved going alone, I did my own thing and could just relax. I also didn’t have to coordinate with anyone either.

I am planning on going to Idaho this year, I got a deer tag, probably be in October.

Have a kid and in 10 years or so you have a well trained partner:) Thats what I had to do. I have never found someone who likes to hunt or do the type of hunting I like. Heck I could bring them to a great spot and they get into game, have a great time but the next year want nothing to do with it. Not sure why. I think most people I know are more into a good camping trip than a good hunting trip.

With my own kids I always have some to go with and they are always wanting to go which makes it easier on the wife. Only three down falls to this is 1) Not having adult conversations 2) Kids cant carry much weight so its all on my back 3) I make it about them so my shot opportunities are not very often.

But I have been great full to see them becoming great fisherman and hunters. Hopefully when they get older they wont forget about the old guy!!!

Diesel

WKR

Excellent advice.

Choose your hunting pards very very carefully. When conditions get tough, fatigue sets in and game just isn't cooperative, irritability can cause tensions to rise and goals to diverge. When you hunt alone you don't have those issues.

However, having good hunting buddies that share your level of effort is down right fun and sharing the tales later never gets old. Sharing the pack outs and logistics is also a plus. The amount of ground covered daily ups finding the game when each goes a different direction.

I would find it very difficult to join in with someone I did not know at this point. Just thinking out loud, but maybe go to some of the outdoor shows with some buddies and bump around. Talk to everybody that seems acceptable and let them know you are open to getting involved. There are just so many good people in the hunt community that I would think you would find an invite. your buddies may get the bug as it is quite infectious.

Good luck either way. One last thing. Go do it now while you can, you will be glad you did.

Wiscohunter

Lil-Rokslider
I had a bunch of buddies that said they would go next year when I came back alive from my first Colorado elk hunt last fall. I didn't get one, but saw 19 elk in a week, to go with two bull moose, a cinnamon phase black bear and a bunch of mule deer. Everyone thought it sounded great for a diy hunt.

Funny thing has started happening, guys are starting to come up with excuses when I inform them it's time apply in a few weeks. I guess if everyone drops out I'll be going solo. I don't want to miss a year while I'm able, so maybe going solo is inevitable for those of us eastern hunters who can't find a good western hunting partner. Maybe they'll come around eventually, but I won't wait until they do.

Diesel

WKR
It is typical that there are drop outs. We solved that last minute drop out problem by putting in "X" amount of money into the pot that is non refundable if you don't go. That way the group doesn't suffer on expenses if the group shrinks. It works.

Marble

WKR
i Went solo last fall and now have 4 or 5 p

I went solo last fall to Wyoming and had a blast. Now I’ve got 4 or 5 friends that want to go. I imagine one might actually commit. I’ll be honest I loved going alone, I did my own thing and could just relax. I also didn’t have to coordinate with anyone either.

I am planning on going to Idaho this year, I got a deer tag, probably be in October.
This is the same boat I'm in. I have been elk hunting for 20 years and in the last few switched to archery and have been successful. Now everyone wants to go.

For me, I look for someone as passionate about it as me. That means they are going to do whatever it takes to makes it happen before and during the hunt. No flakiness, no whining.