Hunting partners…Finding new ones, losing old ones.

Marble

WKR
I have found them hunting, in life and through friends.

I have had a lot of people want to go with me over the years. Some were automatic yes's, some automatic no's. Some pestered me until I was blunt. My best hunting partner had been my dad and a few dogs. Second was another buddy who passed away. I met my latest hunting partner through the business.

I'm never looking for another partner to hunt with, but would never really turn an opportunity down if it seems like something that would work.

Like finding a girlfriend, the harder you look the more difficult it will become. Just let it happen naturally.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

bgipson

FNG
I'm fortunate in the fact that I've got family and my wife that fit the bill for my hunts. We live out West so there's no misunderstanding what the expectation is for the hunt since we spend time in the mountains for various activities besides hunting. The few friends I've made that go along have progressed from more laid back hunts (pigeons, waterfowl, etc.) to more serious (antelope in the low country) to mountain trips (scouting, camping, fishing backcountry lakes) to waiting for them to have points now. In the coming years they'll finally have enough to start coming along with their own tag.

Another option nobody has talked about is potentially finding a local to the area you're going to hunt. I know that's a tall order but there are guys local to your destination in the same boat as you. Good luck!

Yarak

WKR
Finding someone you can trust in the backwoods is a tall order to fill
I mostly hunt by myself here in the Deep South but when I go west I have a friend in WA that I meet up with and we knock around in the brush for a couple weeks
I think the one thing I've ever experience that angered me was relenting on taking a guy I wasnt sure about and the following year finding him with several idiots just like himself in the place I took him
Fortunately for me I know that country like the back of my hand and was able to get in a good days hunt
Best advice I can give is to be picky, be cautious and be prepared for anything when you decide on a potential hunting partner
You never know until youre in the woods and until that point talk is cheap

Does your wife have any interest in it? Mine is my best friend and favorite hunting partner. I have only one other hunting partner I'll head in to the back country with. I'll truck/wall tent camp with a bunch of buddies. But when it comes to getting far from the road that list gets real short.
Very similar here… my wife is my main hunting partner the past few years

I have a couple other friends that I also hunt with occasionally, they are both solid, I just prefer hunting alone or with my wife if I’m actually trying to fill a tag.

Finding a solid hunting buddy is difficult, working on the ocean pretty much my whole life, I have been around a lot of solid dudes (and plenty of worthless ones, but they don’t last long) the biggest issue is lining that up with someone who also has the desire to hunt that I do.

Lone wolf is just the easiest way for me if not hunting with my wife… once my tags are filled, then I love hunting with others

Same as all the above, I hunt with a few guys locally for whitetail and pheasants. A couple went to Wyoming with me to hunt antelope and doe deer tags. None commit to buying points, none have interest in elk, but we get along well enough and everyone was prepared and contributed so it wasn’t all bad.
I just plan to do hunts by myself for now. I am going to Wyoming for a cow tag this year by myself. Going to Alaska next year for caribou solo as well. I plan on using my Co elk points or Wy deer points as well next year. More then likely by my self.

Someone needs to create a hunting friend finder app

I have always had a hard time finding new hunting partners. Sometimes they just aren’t as committed to as hard of hunting as I want to do and other times they are willing to put in the effort but just don’t have the outdoor knowledge or physical capabilities to do it. I still am willing to look for those new friendships. Good luck!

southLA

WKR
Most guys i know want to sit in a heated box blind and shoot whitetails and drink beer. Hard to convince someone to train for months just to be able to GO on the hunt. Much less shoot something and haul it out. Thus, headed out alone on a cow elk trip this season.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Link up with somebody local on here for beers or fishing? See how it goes.

I suck at meeting hunters, most of my back country time has been solo. Trips that somebody comes with me on there is always something that ends up bothering me. I think it’s mostly fitness level, and making too much noise.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I, like several on this forum are getting long in the tooth. Several of my long time friends have moved, had health issues, or, just don't have the drive anymore. One guy I hunt with treats hunts more as a social event than a hunt, and when we are out, he is a likely to remain in camp rather than go out hunting. I figure it's all part of getting old.

Man, I love the responses to this! When I posted it originally, I had no idea what to expect. Ill try to catch up a few answers to some questions….I do have one son, he actually went with me last season for his first muley hunt. He loved it, but he lives about 12hrs from me and has decided to make a career out of being a US Marine, he is now entering year 10. And with a young fam of his own, he will just never be that partner I need. My wife of 18yrs is amazing and loves hiking and fishing, but has zero interest in hunting and will NOT spend a night in a tent. (Lol, she has been pampered too much)

Many of you are spot on about finding somebody with the finances, PTO, physical drive, ect…

Im not on FB, and rarely do any social media at all, so thats out. Honestly, I'm not looking to force find a new partner, and a firm believer in all things happen for a reason. If I find one great, if not it will all work out the way its meant to. Keep em coming boys, I love the replies.
I'd be up for it...but I'm not yet in the country!

The wife is from VT and I've had a job offer in NH but four years in and we are still no closer to moving / getting an interview with the embassy in London.
New lawyers out of NY tell us soon, but we've been told that before.

We'd be staying in New England to be close to her family but I'd want to go our West to hunt.
The wife's old man, (still) hunts turkey and white tails which will be fun, but I'd want to see as much of the country as possible, and he's to old for backpacking.

From Northern England, work in construction, 39 former mountain marathon runner

I'll send you a message and if a miracle happens I'll let you know. If you're still looking for someone when I do, we can meet up.
So Ive been thinking about this for a while now. As an Easterner (PA), I was blessed to have been introduced to backcountry hunting by a great mentor about 15yrs ago. He is still one of my very best friends and we have spent many hunts together in the backcountry. But as age and health catches up to all of us, he may never be able to do it again. Over the years I have had several other good hunting partners that have joined me in the West, but none on a consistent basis. I hunt out west every single year and many years multiple states. I have been playing the point/strategy/options game long enough to always have somewhere to go. And while I truly enjoy hunting solo, as I will be again this year, I miss the camaraderie of having a partner sometimes. (And my wife isnt super keen to me doing solo backcountry hunts.) Which brings me to my point of this thread…How have you guys found new hunting partners in the past? Im very picky about who I will spend a week with in the wilderness. I mean lets be honest, they have to be somebody you can literally trust your life with, and not want to kill them after spending every minute with for 7-10 days! They also need to be able to push you rather than hold you back. Being from the east makes it even harder when there is such few guys with experience. Im currently 44yrs old and hope to have another 10-15 yrs of backcountry hunting left in my future. Im starting to think I need to find a younger guy eager to learn and maybe take him under my wing (as my mentor did with me) and gain a friendship for life. Just curious to all of your thoughts on this.
I'd be up for it...but I'm not yet in the country!

The wife is from VT and I've had a job offer in NH but four years in and we are still no closer to moving / getting an interview with the embassy in London.

New lawyers out of NY tell us soon, but we've been told that before.

We'd be staying in New England to be close to her family but I'd want to go our West to hunt.

The wife's old man, (still) hunts turkey and white tails which will be fun, but I'd want to see as much of the country as possible, and he's to old for backpacking.

From Northern England, work in construction, 39 former mountain marathon runner

I'll send you a message and if a miracle happens I'll let you know. If you're still looking for someone when I do, we can meet up.

OP
Deucebump

Deucebump

WKR
Another recurring thing I keep seeing is, many like myself, just opt to go solo. Which I agree has its benefits, but is also the reason I have basically quit hunting elk. Just dont have it in me to pack one out by myself. Im too damn old and too small to want to do it. But it has made me obsessed with mule deer!

Wingnutty

FNG
I admit it…I’m hard to hunt with. I’m driven, stubborn, like to do it my way, usually work too hard to get to places, value peace and quiet, train hard, hunt hard, have high expectations, am tight lipped… I’ve almost given up on finding hunting partners who can’t hang, but I’m not sure I’d want to hang with myself if the shoe was on the other foot either😂.
I do prefer to hunt alone, but it would be nice to find a solid partner who was a good fit. Hopefully my 9 year old son will continue to progress and get the bug. A dad can dream.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I admit it…I’m hard to hunt with. I’m driven, stubborn, like to do it my way, usually work too hard to get to places, value peace and quiet, train hard, hunt hard, have high expectations, am tight lipped… I’ve almost given up on finding hunting partners who can’t hang, but I’m not sure I’d want to hang with myself if the shoe was on the other foot either😂.
I do prefer to hunt alone, but it would be nice to find a solid partner who was a good fit. Hopefully my 9 year old son will continue to progress and get the bug. A dad can dream.
You sound like a guy I hunt with, less the 9 year old. Biggest Ahole ever to walk this earth..Actually, the only reason I hunt with him is because I Feel sorry for his poor wife.

IDShane

WKR
I am very new to posting and being a member of this website although I visited many times prior. I basically joined because I wanted to find people to hunt with since I moved away from NW Wisconsin 4 years ago. It is amazing to me how many people post on this website looking for people to hunt with but yet it still seems hard for people to get connected. I posted on the rally point over a month ago looking for people to hunt/hangout with in the Boise area. Since posting 182 people have viewed the post but not one response. I will admit that in my post I stated that I prefer to go on outfitted hunts and that may be a limiting factor for some but surely there are some that could fit into what I am looking for. I know there have been some posts about people joking a bit about some of these looking for a hunting partner posts I understand it does sound funny guys looking for other guys to hunt with. I had some great hunting partners in the past and it does make the hunt that much more enjoyable for me anyways.

manthb3

FNG
It's tough to add to a hunting party, as others have touched on the reasons why. Try finding a hunting partner while enjoying another hobby/pastime. Softball, bowling, fishing, etc. You may find the person wanting to learn how to hunt when not looking for only a hunter.

Wingnutty

FNG
You sound like a guy I hunt with, less the 9 year old. Biggest Ahole ever to walk this earth..Actually, the only reason I hunt with him is because I Feel sorry for his poor wife.
There’s a lotta sarcasm there big boy. We’ve all got faults but only some of us are able to admit it🤣

Sapcut

WKR
I always bowhunt whiteails in Alabama alone. Never with anyone else. I tried it but just didn’t work. I don’t know anyone who would have the same objectives regarding ethics, respect for land and wildlife, no feeding or baiting and discipline passing young bucks.

Although I’m strictly a recurve shooter never owning a compound bow, I am not concerned with the weapon someone chooses but rather just hunt the animal you intend to take.

And now with bowhunting elk, I had partners but no longer. I didn’t draw my expected unit this year so I am deciding on a plan to hunt a new OTC area I’m not too familiar with just yet. But I gotta go if all possible.

Nykki

Lil-Rokslider
After my hunting partner of forty years passed away I've been hunting solo. I enjoy the time alone but at 66yo it's a chore to get a moose dressed and hung by myself. Got invited for a fly in hunt this year, don't know anyone but the guy that invited me and I met him two months ago. Hopefully it will be a good time. Finding good partners that I can spend time in the field with isn't an easy proposition, I'm retired and go when I want and for however long it takes.