Hunting partners…Finding new ones, losing old ones.

Wags

WKR
I lost my Dad and Grandfather unexpectedly 2 years ago. Those were my Big Game hunting partners. Even though I was usually off doing my own thing we always ended up around the table together at the end of the day. I only hunt with 2 other guys, 1 is family the other might as well be. I met him on a different forum and we hit it off. We've been through it all together both personally and in the field (Ducks/Geese). There are a few others that I'll share a blind with here and there but nothing consistent.

A family member asked me to help one of her friends who hunts and is teaching his son If I would help him out. One trip to the range and some conversation was enough for me to know that was not going to happen again.

The relationship with a hunting partner takes longer to form than a marriage IMO.

Miboy86

Lil-Rokslider
Back home i share hunting camp with a group of guys but we all hunt seperatley in the whitetail woods. Some of them have said they would like to try a outwest trip but just trying to plan a outta state trip for a state close by us hasnt worked out so ill continue to go outwest by myself solo which i prefer.

My main big game hunting partner was 15 years older than me.
He taught me the value of sweat-equity, mental toughness, and a positive attitude.
I stopped sheep hunting after his last hunt at age 70 ( photo below).
mainly because it would be impossible to replace such a wonderful hunting partner
as we had similar values.
Down.jpg

GSPHUNTER

WKR
My main big game hunting partner was 15 years older than me.
He taught me the value of sweat-equity, mental toughness, and a positive attitude.
I stopped sheep hunting after his last hunt at age 70 ( photo below).
mainly because it would be impossible to replace such a wonderful hunting partner
as we had similar values.
View attachment 443914
Friends like that are hard to come by and impossible to replace. Mine passed away in 2016.

I hunted with a couple friends of mine for decades. At different times they decided not to continue on for various reasons and they pursue other interests. We still spend a lot time together and communicate with those guys about every day. They just dont hunt Anymore. I found new hunting buddies that I enjoy hunting and spending time with. New friends and new stories. Sometimes when I am hunting I miss the old guys and find myself thinking back and all the funny things and great times we had.

dtrkyman

WKR
I moved away from my hunting buddies, have yet to replace them! Trying to get them out west to hunt with me!

S.Clancy

WKR
So Ive been thinking about this for a while now. As an Easterner (PA), I was blessed to have been introduced to backcountry hunting by a great mentor about 15yrs ago. He is still one of my very best friends and we have spent many hunts together in the backcountry. But as age and health catches up to all of us, he may never be able to do it again. Over the years I have had several other good hunting partners that have joined me in the West, but none on a consistent basis. I hunt out west every single year and many years multiple states. I have been playing the point/strategy/options game long enough to always have somewhere to go. And while I truly enjoy hunting solo, as I will be again this year, I miss the camaraderie of having a partner sometimes. (And my wife isnt super keen to me doing solo backcountry hunts.) Which brings me to my point of this thread…How have you guys found new hunting partners in the past? Im very picky about who I will spend a week with in the wilderness. I mean lets be honest, they have to be somebody you can literally trust your life with, and not want to kill them after spending every minute with for 7-10 days! They also need to be able to push you rather than hold you back. Being from the east makes it even harder when there is such few guys with experience. Im currently 44yrs old and hope to have another 10-15 yrs of backcountry hunting left in my future. Im starting to think I need to find a younger guy eager to learn and maybe take him under my wing (as my mentor did with me) and gain a friendship for life. Just curious to all of your thoughts on this.
Honestly, I think taking a younger guy under your wing is the best prospect. That way you know what they have experienced, their capabilities, and you will grow to trust them over time. They will also push you to keep in great shape. A great hunting partner is harder to find than a wife, best to train them.

Also, or me, I get a lot out of hunting solo. When I hunt with people I get frustrated about their decisions, etc. Best case for me is split up during the day, camping together at night.

slick

WKR
I think this is a common phenomena amongst all of us.

There are only a handful of people I know that I would share a camp with on any hunt at anytime.
There are others who I would only enjoy some hunts with ie: bird hunting from home but not a labor/logistic intensive backcountry hunt

As has been said you either go it alone because your trusted/preferred hunting partner(s) can't make it, you take a gamble and go with someone new (odds are not in your favor it works), or you don't go.

I think Clancy hit it on the head. Sharing camp is a good way to go about it. You have a "support" network immediately in the area, someone to bounce ideas off how the animals are behaving/weather, help in a pinch (I'd hope), but you aren't bogged down by indecision or conflicting approaches and your success isn't dependent on them.

Hoyt Ag

FNG
Id love to have new hunting partners. Problem I have is that I seem to do all the work in prepping for the trip since I live where I hunt and the others just show up.

Elkbelch

FNG
My father was my hunting partner for 25 years of elk hunting. He just got old and gave it up. In 2008 he had a pulmonary embolism on the mountain and I pretty much packed him and my bull out that afternoon. He hunted with me until 2012 and just hunts whitetail. I never had any boys but my two girls were interested. Now I have a son-in-law. My youngest is going with me this year, first time I’ve been since 2012. Really glad to be going again. Unfortunately, I will be footing the bill. Well worth it to me. She is an accomplished deer hunter and pretty tough. She’s really into backpacking so this should be awesome. She hiked the Colorado trail last year solo at 19 in 29 days so she’s definitely up to it but am I? The bull is the one from 2008
Shawn4A389052-FD5C-41D6-B6D4-05E14CF64744.jpeg7BCAA18C-FDC1-4205-ABBA-1C0489882509.jpeg

OP
Deucebump

Deucebump

WKR
Man, I love all the replies! Thanks for all who answered. This thread makes me realize Im not alone and that great hunting partners truly are a gift and often times once in a life time.

tracker7

FNG
I think I’m like most others here. I have a core group of my brother and one of our mutual buddies. My daughter is starting to go with us now, so I’m excited about that.

i have invited new people and they come and go.

Sevens

WKR
I feel like you all have way more PTO than me, or much more accepting spouses.

Have yet to find someone who shares the same passion for hunting and the types of hunt I like to do. I do have an energetic 2 year old though who we spent the evening enthusiastically hunting the “itsy bitsy spider,” so maybe if I can turn that into “Dada, shoot Bambi” I can hunt with her. (And for those curious, we bagged three itsy bitsy spiders tonight, but nothing big enough to get mounted.)

OP
Deucebump

Deucebump

WKR

Have yet to find someone who shares the same passion for hunting and the types of hunt I like to do. I do have an energetic 2 year old though who we spent the evening enthusiastically hunting the “itsy bitsy spider,” so maybe if I can turn that into “Dada, shoot Bambi” I can hunt with her. (And for those curious, we bagged three itsy bitsy spiders tonight, but nothing big enough to get mounted.)
Sevens, I am very blessed to have 5 weeks PTO each year and an awesome wife of almost 20 years that fully understands and accepts my love of the hunting the western mountains! Something I never take for granted.

mftemer

FNG
I’ve found quite a few hunting buddies. It seems that the commitment levels vary greatly. Starting to become a solo hunter this season.

I've got two girls and I'm growing their love for the hunting aspect of the outdoors. They naturally have their own love for the outdoors.

Foraging, including beech foraging has been a great start. Razor clams, etc.
As has having our own ducks.
Fishing. Squirrel hunting, rabbit and bird etc... Scouting for deer so far but not hunting. Ages 7 and 2. I can see the 2 year old being more into it as her personality is more aggressive/ game, but both enjoy it and both have cleaned fish and small game.