Hunting Partners

gaarchery

FNG
Hey all,

I am planning to start hunting out west in 2021. (Only reason I am not starting this year is that I have a big whitetail trip to Iowa planned with my Dad this year). However, being from Georgia, I don’t currently know anyone else who has the desire to go out west on a DIY backpack elk hunt. So that leaves me in the situation of wanting to get started but having no experience and no one to learn with. Being that I have no experience, I would definitely prefer not to go it alone to begin with. My question is, is there anyone on this forum who has some experience that would be willing to show a newbie the ropes? Or does anyone know of a better way to find western hunting partners? Any help here would be greatly appreciated! I am 26, in decent shape, and very eager to learn.
Thanks everyone!

Rich M

WKR
I did an online meet and hunt w guy. Didn't work out so well.

I would go Solo before doing another blind date kind of hunt.

If you are a good GA deer hunter you will do better than you think. Plus yer young and can run all over the place.

I think most guys who say they know nothing never really hunted. Your eastern hunt the woods skills will help a bunch.

Beendare

WKR
I've heard a few horror stories...and some that have worked out.

how good of an interviewer are you? grin

One of my best buddies is Co resident I met blind over 30 years ago....I talked to him on the phone a few times...and just drove out to hunt with him- the first time we met in person. Now we talk once a week at least and have been hunting together off and on ever since.

WORTH CONSIDERING; This type of thing is as dependent on YOU as it is the other guy. If you are a picky ass person, eccentric, easily irritated...my guess is it ain't going to work out-

________

Poser

WKR
Get out and do some turkey hunting, hog hunting etc with any potential partners and insist on doing them as camping trips.

ELKhunter60

Lil-Rokslider
I've heard a few horror stories...and some that have worked out.

how good of an interviewer are you? grin

One of my best buddies is Co resident I met blind over 30 years ago....I talked to him on the phone a few times...and just drove out to hunt with him- the first time we met in person. Now we talk once a week at least and have been hunting together off and on ever since.

WORTH CONSIDERING; This type of thing is as dependent on YOU as it is the other guy. If you are a picky ass person, eccentric, easily irritated...my guess is it ain't going to work out-

________

Beendare brings up some really important points. I'm turning 53 next week and have a couple of 20 something engineers that I work with that wanted to go out west backcountry archery elk hunting with me. Both are great guys with some eagle scout mountain hikes under their belt. Before I considered taking them, I told them the following:

1) If you can't roll with the punches, don't go.
2) If you can't be comfortable being uncomfortable, don't go.
3) If you can't pay for your portion of the trip, you can't go.
4) If you can't be happy for someone else scoring on an animal, don't go.
5) If you talk too much, you can't go.
6) If you're not willing to get in shape for trip, you can't go.
7) If you can't afford decent gear for the back country, you can't go.
8) If you have a dominant personality and think you need to call of the shots, you can't go.
9) If you tend to be a complainer, you can't go.

All of these things are important to me and learned over time. They both answered the questions or comments correctly and are both great hunting companions.

11boo

WKR
I took a leap of faith and invited a guy I only knew online into my camp after he was shut out of his area by a big fire. His first trip out west. It worked out well, and we still hunt together.

I wouldn't be afraid to tackle it alone. You know your capabilities and you know what makes you happy. That being said, for elk, understand that they are difficult to muscle solo even in the best of circumstances. Be realistic with yourself regarding meat care knowledge and packing abilities. Jumping in feet first with a stranger that may have different capabilities for the bettor or worse could be risky. There is so much info available out there these days from what gear to pack, meat care, hunting strategies for the area you choose etc. that you will surprise yourself going someplace new. The "new" part makes these kinds of trips special. If hunting success follows, then you just got a win win! Often, you will meet people in the field or in nearby camps that may also be of some help.

2rocky

WKR
There are southeastern guys who go West hunting elk every year. it is just a matter of finding them. Where I have found hunting partners?

3D leagues.
Parents' older friends. They have the time to go and have amassed some pretty good gear
Other people in my industry. Guys in sales LOVE taking clients and vendors hunting.
Other Fraternal type organizations. Guys telling hunting stories at the rotary meeting.
Other outdoor pursuits. Guy fishing on a river out west might like hunting elk and deer nearby and be a local
Scouting trips. met an outfitter who cut me a deal on a semiguided trip.
Other hunters in an outfitted camp. Keep in touch and hunt a different state or unit together DIY.
Trading hunts in different regions. I took an Alaskan Turkey hunting, he took me Fishing.

Don't over look experienced older hunters who want someone to help/do more of the physical stuff. They might stay close to camp and not go out as early or late as you but they can give you guidance on where to look.

If you can spare the time, spend a long weekend in your prospective unit to ground truth it. See just how steep those mountains are, talk to the locals, fish, hike, camp.

True story. I was at a James McMurtry concert and found out his opening act was from a town near my hunt unit. He didn't hunt but he knew all the rivers because he was an avid flyfisherman. He knew where the elk were and gave me some places to check out.

My interviewing though is to shoot a round of 3D with them, do a trail run with them, and go out and see what they are like "liquored up" That tends to shake out any personality disorders.