Hunting question regarding Colorado, Montana and Wyoming.

IZZY

FNG
I have a personal project that am trying to do about 20 yrs from now and it will require me having some knowledge about hunting rules and regs...I know I can just pull the hunting regulations for each state and read it, but am not sure if am missing something or if I just don't get it, and I know rules and regs change from time to time.... I have looked at all three state regulations for a bit. So here goes, if you buy a license in Colorado, Wyoming or Montana, do you get tags or do you have to apply for the draw for those tags. Example, I live in AZ, you buy a license good, but now you have to put in for a draw to get virtually all huntable big game. I went to Texas and you buy your license and you automatically get tags for x amount of deer, turkey, javelin etc....I am curious about CO, MO, and WY. Specifically regarding deer, elk, and antelope.

Thanks in advance..

Izzy

So.. Montana and Wyoming are all draw. However, Montana usually has leftover tags you can buy for general hunting, but its not a given.
Colorado you can or cant draw, your call. If you put in for the draw you can build points or potentially draw tags that are not OTC. If you decide you dont want to play the draw game you can just buy a tag OTC for elk that is. All Mule Deer tags are draw in CO. Someone could write their college dissertation on the draw systems of all the states out west, and in the end the reader would still be confused..

Short answer:

In AZ, UT, NV, and ID you buy a license and then a tag.

In CO, MT, WY, and NM the tag is the license.

ericF

WKR
This is anecdotal, but NM used to be that you drew the tag and then bought the license. The problem that they were running into was that people would draw the cheap tag, and then never buy the expensive license. This is purely hearsay, but it was said that anti hunters would put in for the tag and draw it just to prevent someone from hunting. Whether true or not, NM knew they were losing out on money and switched to paying up front for the license.

bhylton

WKR
In MT as a non resident you apply for a non resident license of choice. deer/elk combo for example. If you draw that you can hunt every unit following the rules outlined per unit in the regulations. most units in MT are open for any white-tail and many are open for brow-tined bull elk.

outside of the general "license" there are special permits you can apply for. ie: units offer buck mule deer and elk harvest by special permit only.
As a resident, purchasing a deer or elk licence is a pre-requisite for applying for any deer or elk special permit. Im not sure, however, how that works for non-residents.

OP
I

IZZY

FNG
Thanks guys...I appreciate the feed back...I am leaning more towards Montana due to logistics.