Hunting Release

nphunter

WKR
Carter Simple 1 for me for both, I also shoot a hinge for working on my shot and follow through. My groups down range are much better with a thumb than a wrist strap.

I know this probably isnt the most popular choice you will find out there but I use/have used a Silverback. I've had far more success, with great shots, using the silverback than any other release. Forces me to go through the process.

Rob5589

WKR
I like Scott calipers. I tried a thumb button handheld last year but just didn't dig it. Hunting only, no 3d or competition stuff.

Catahoula

WKR
For hunting I use an old Scott Silverhorn and have an extra (same) for backup. Just been a favorite for a long time. It works for me reliably.

Last edited:

Zac

WKR
Went through a bunch; TruFire sear(total garbage), Truball HT, Carter Evolution, Carter 2 Smooth, Scott Ascent(favorite hinge so far), Stan Tension Activated release. Also used Carter Like Mike, and Spot Hogg Wiseguy which I managed to discharge arrows 6 feet over deers heads. Gives me panic just thinking about that one.

Just switched to thumbs and really liking it. Using a Carter wise choice and a sensation. Groups are way tighter than my spot Hogg wiseguy.

OctoberGold

Lil-Rokslider
Recently switched from a Scott caliper to a Carter RX1 with the heaviest spring. I really like having to pull through rather than just touch the trigger. I’ve thought about a thumb release, but having a chunk of metal hanging off my string in sub-zero temps doesn’t really sound appealing and I don’t want to be fumbling to clip my release on when a deer decides to walk by.

Acpinn

WKR
Spot hogg wiseguy, really hot trigger but you can shorten the neck length so trigger is right around 2nd knuckle.

VTJ

FNG
I have used a Tru Ball Boss X (Thumb/caliper head)for quite a few years now as my main release .. it has a very crisp-clean release .. even in cold, I leave it on the loop until needed, wet weather it stays in the pocket or muff till needed... my back-up is a Tru Ball Chappy with Talon head, also a thumb with a crisp clean release ..... Ive been looking at getting a Stan Perfex Long Neck Resistance, as it can be used to practice with its set screw so it wont fire, great for holding and visualizing the shot till it goes off, but dont 'fire' .. great training release ... Stan also does a thumb that does the same so you can practice but not fire ... you can hook it on the loop as it has a 'keeper' under the hook to keep it on the loop ... since I already have two excellent 'thumb' releases, I'm leaning towards the resistance style ... I did use the wrist strap a few times last season, first time in many years, I killed a 'yote and a 120lb Doe using it, the 205lb 8pt was killed using the Boss X, I still prefer the thumb styles over the wrist .....

Lawnboi

WKR
Ventured out a lot, other index releases, hinge and handheld. Keep coming back to a spot Hogg wise guy set as heavy as they can be, which is still very light. Get the version that’s fixed to the strap via the metal bar, folds out of the way nicely.

Switched to a Carter Wise Choice thumb release last year after many years of shooting a Carter Quickie trigger. So far, so good. My groups are tighter, and I feel less prone to punching the trigger. It's also nice not having a release dangling from my wrist while hiking all day.

WyoWrangler

Lil-Rokslider
I drank the green kool-aid and use the nock2it/silverback. Hunted all last year and shot 3D with the nock2it. This years offseason has been nothing but silverback, I’ve put the other away until hunting so I won’t get into the punch it habit. I’m no expert in archery or hunting, but I found something that worked for me and was comfortable. I’ve shot other releases but still prefer my two.

TheTone

WKR
Carter 2 shot with a really heavy spring/trigger. I would like to try a carter like mike for the open jaw as well as a nock2it for a handheld

gretch6364

Lil-Rokslider
I used a truball beast for years and then switched to a Wiseguy last season. I ended up with some tendon soreness, and am trying out a Stan SX3 this season. So far, I have really liked it and I don't think I will be going back to a trigger.

I feel like I can anchor more consistently with a thumb release. With a trigger, I would tend to get a little lower with my anchor on really long shots during practice (80 to 100 yards) and would shoot high.

Pluses and minuses to all the releases. Not having something strapped on while hiking is a plus for sure, but risk of losing a thumb release is a negative. Also, it not always being ready.

Personally, I can't see myself using a hinge or tension release. I need to be able to command shoot if needed during hunting situations.

The next question...do I buy another SX3, or use my Wiseguy as my backup in the BC?