Hunting Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep

Jc213

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys,

I'm 25 years old and over the past few years i've been taking the necessary steps to get myself sheep hunting. I'm a NV resident and I am buying points in NV and AZ for desert sheep, have started a savings account for dall and stone, but I have been wondering for over a few years now my best bet for hunting a rocky is. I have scoured a lot of articles and draw odds websites (gohunt) and i'm wondering if my best bet is to max out points in a state like Montana or Wyoming, buy raffles, or just start hoarding cash and buy the hunt. Obviously doing all three would be the absolute best, but if you could only afford one what would it be? I honestly feel like just putting some money away every month in a mutual fund is the most practical way to actually go, but would love to hear everyone else's game plan.

Jimss

WKR
In Wyo, almost every nonres sheep tag goes to those with highest pref pts. I don't think you'll have a chance of drawing in your lifetime and it's expensive to apply for a pref pt each year. You could pray that they change their pref pt system but I doubt that will happen? Montana is close to the same deal. Colo you don't have a chance to draw a bighorn tag until you have 3 pts. It's fairly expensive to apply (you have to buy a license plus pref pt each year). Utah has a bonus pt system. You'll have to buy a nonres license and it's also expensive to apply. Your odds for draw are less than 1% in just about every state. Your best chance to draw a tag is in the state where you reside.

Your best bet may be to apply in states like Idaho or NMex where there aren't any pref pts. I'm pretty sure you can hunt bighorns every year in Alberta but you'll have to go guided. You can also hunt sheep every year in Montana's unlimited units.

OP
Jc213

Jc213

Lil-Rokslider
In Wyo, almost every nonres sheep tag goes to those with highest pref pts. I don't think you'll have a chance of drawing in your lifetime and it's expensive to apply for a pref pt each year. You could pray that they change their pref pt system but I doubt that will happen? Montana is close to the same deal. Colo you don't have a chance to draw a bighorn tag until you have 3 pts. It's fairly expensive to apply (you have to buy a license plus pref pt each year). Utah has a bonus pt system. You'll have to buy a nonres license and it's also expensive to apply. Your odds for draw are less than 1% in just about every state. Your best chance to draw a tag is in the state where you reside.

Your best bet may be to apply in states like Idaho or NMex where there aren't any pref pts. I'm pretty sure you can hunt bighorns every year in Alberta but you'll have to go guided. You can also hunt sheep every year in Montana's unlimited units.
Thanks for the advice.

bowhuntrben

Lil-Rokslider
If you think you will be able to save enough to just buy the hunt, that is the route I would go if you want to guarantee a chance at one. The other options are just providing a chance at drawing a tag without a strong likelihood of actually doing it. It can get expensive applying in multiple states as well for no guarantee you will ever draw the tag. With that said, if you are a hard-core DIY guy, maybe that is what you want.

ljalberta

WKR
It seems the best route to go if you want to go sheep hunting is to go hunt the unlimiteds in Montana. You can hunt sheep hunt every year. In my personal opinion, actually sheep hunting seems to beat out building points or putting in a draw to one day go sheep hunting. I'm not familiar with the point systems in the US though, so I could be wrong.

kscowboy01

Lil-Rokslider
A lot of people say that as a resident, NV is a great place to draw a tag. If you stay there, you will eventually hunt a NV sheep. Get your butt down to Sheep Show this week and talk to people. In the interim, start looking at AK for a Dall. That's the most inexpensive hunt, sans a drawn tag in the Lower 48.

WCB

WKR
For a 100% chance obviously the unlimiteds in MT or just buy a hunt. If I were to buy a hunt talk to outfitters now and lock in a price/put money down. The price isn't going to get any cheaper and if you start saving with a $20,000 price tag in mind and think in 5 or tens years that will be enough you are going to be disappointed.

I personally would put all my eggs in one basket and figure out/save up to kill one sheep of any species then work on another one. Trying to save and keep up with the rising cost of hunts doesn't make sense to me if you could put all that savings towards one sheep and make it happen in the very near future.

Mt Al

WKR
You're in the minority by starting a savings account for sheep hunts at your age. This will serve you well compared to the majority wishing they'd done so when they were your age. Obviously costs go up, but depending on income and how much you throw down you can get head of the curve.

I'd keep saving like crazy, putting in in NV, put in for a few raffles (someone has to win!) and definitely plan a backpacking trip to Montana with your rifle for the unlimited hunts. Plan on learning vs. killing - but hopefully killing - your first few years. It's nasty/beautiful country. Just being in there is awesome and worth the effort. Take a look at ingress and egress and imagine taking out a whole ram.

Related to $$$: if you're all about rams, perfect. However, mountain goats, chamois, tahr, ibex, etc, are also amazing mountain dwelling critters and can cost less than big horn sheep if you shop around and aren't looking for "gold" trophies.

I met a family in MT years ago and their priority was to get a Grand Slam for mom, dad and two "kids" who were in their twenties at the time. They were on their way to their goal (not "well on their way"), having paid for two Dall hunts, one stone and two of the four had drawn for big horn in Montana. They put in for everything they could in other states and saved what they could for desert and future "other" hunts. All a balance. In the years when none of them drew a tag - which was most years - they sometimes did extra jobs for savings for the next guided hunt and went after rams with their cameras. There are worse ways of spending one's life.

OP
Jc213

Jc213

Lil-Rokslider
You're in the minority by starting a savings account for sheep hunts at your age. This will serve you well compared to the majority wishing they'd done so when they were your age. Obviously costs go up, but depending on income and how much you throw down you can get head of the curve.

I'd keep saving like crazy, putting in in NV, put in for a few raffles (someone has to win!) and definitely plan a backpacking trip to Montana with your rifle for the unlimited hunts. Plan on learning vs. killing - but hopefully killing - your first few years. It's nasty/beautiful country. Just being in there is awesome and worth the effort. Take a look at ingress and egress and imagine taking out a whole ram.

Related to $$$: if you're all about rams, perfect. However, mountain goats, chamois, tahr, ibex, etc, are also amazing mountain dwelling critters and can cost less than big horn sheep if you shop around and aren't looking for "gold" trophies.

I met a family in MT years ago and their priority was to get a Grand Slam for mom, dad and two "kids" who were in their twenties at the time. They were on their way to their goal (not "well on their way"), having paid for two Dall hunts, one stone and two of the four had drawn for big horn in Montana. They put in for everything they could in other states and saved what they could for desert and future "other" hunts. All a balance. In the years when none of them drew a tag - which was most years - they sometimes did extra jobs for savings for the next guided hunt and went after rams with their cameras. There are worse ways of spending one's life.
Thanks for all the great advice. I personally feel like NV and saving is my best bet as of right now as well, but I am going to start researching Montana Unlimited. I agree and think that time hunting is gonna make you a better hunter whether you fill the tag or not. And those cheaper mountain critters do seem like really fun hunts, but there is just something about completing the sheep slam in a lifetime that is so appealing haha.

With being so young you might be better off investing that money. Be it a business, real estate or the market.

Hypothetically you put that 20k into a rental property. You will build equity in the property and are able to use that to buy a hunt in the future. In the meantime hunt the unlimited unit for cheap.

You may have to wait a little longer to go on guided hunts. If you become independently wealthy, your 40s could be filled with guided hunts and a nice retirement.

Yep 28 here and have the bug too. In my opinion it you're already buying the non res license to apply for elk deer antelope whatever why not throw an extra 9 10 or 15 bucks to have your name in the hat. Odds are very high that I'll NEVER draw a tag in any state but you never know. I stopped applying in WY and gave up my points when they jacked up their pp fees. Just not worth that kind of money to never draw. One day when I don't wanna just go after something I can draw I'll go to the unlimiteds. I can't personally fathom speeding $20k or more on a single hunt. I could afford it but I don't make enough for it not to seem ludacris. If I were like you and living in a state that had sheep tags, you best believe my name would be in there every year. That's your best bet beyond giving your left nut or hunting the unlimiteds

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

become a damn good neuro surgeon--or hook up with a rich gal--my father told me you can marry more in 5 min than you can make in a lifetime
....then just buy a tag ..most go between 60k and 150k...

not trying to be funny...but save your a$$ off...I bought one and drew one...I have a Stone/Fannin and Rocky to go for my slam. I probably will never draw my Rocky--but will try my best too...I live in Texas so everything is out of state. I will say---I drew a desert so it can be done. I paid for a Dall--so that can be done too...I had a chance at auction to do a Fannin hunt for 18K---a deal but you got to have the cash on hand....I am in the position to do that hunt--as I have saved a little over 17K for my stone---trouble is stone sheep pricing has out paced my saving. Now if I draw a Rock (LOL) most of that will be spend with a outfitter to help insure a successful hunt....and I will have to find a way to do a Stone.

Nice part is---you are young. I am 44 and did not get serious about this stuff until I was 30. Start doing everything you can....but if you have to pick one....save.....it is a sure thing....save.....save....save....I hate it cost what it does...but it does.

I will also say there are a lot of other adventures that can get you the experience without the price tag. I did a mid Asian ibex last year...great adventure...a eastern tur...great mountain adventure....both of these hunts with airfaire and tip all in are less than a Dall hunt....remember......save, save, save....

good luck in your quest.

Last edited:
As someone who had your dream at an even much younger age than you, but lacked the direction to make it happen, my advice will echo others. MOVE TO BC. Get your dream going in high gear. Enjoy what’s just out there waiting for you. If leaving the US isn’t something you want then move to AK, hunt Dall’s and build your sheep hunting experience. In time, maybe the move to AK will make the move to BC even easier for you to do mentally. I envy you and wish you well.

Well the whole move to Canada idea is a HUGE commitment.....you must be a Permanent resident for 1095 days out of 5 years.