Hunting Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep

cbeard64

WKR
Some good advice here already so I can’t add much at this point.

You guys who so easily suggest moving to AK or BC amaze me.

I am a sheep hunting fanatic (I have 3 of the 4 sheep plus a mountain goat) and am not a wealthy man.

But I am not such a fanatic that I am going to order my entire life around sheep hunting.

That seems a little over the top for 99% of people who are interested in sheep hunting.

Reactions: OMB

as.ks.ak

WKR
Some good advice here already so I can’t add much at this point.

You guys who so easily suggest moving to AK or BC amaze me.

I am a sheep hunting fanatic (I have 3 of the 4 sheep plus a mountain goat) and am not a wealthy man.

But I am not such a fanatic that I am going to order my entire life around sheep hunting.

That seems a little over the top for 99% of people who are interested in sheep hunting.

Maybe it is a little over the top....but I did it. Kansas to Alaska. Best thing I EVER did. Intimidating to take the jump? Absolutely. Worth it? 10 fold.

Not necessarily just to hunt sheep. But to get away from flatlander life and my friends who fell to the hometown bug and reliving HS every day for the rest of their lives..We all know a few of those.

I was fortunate enough to meet my wife, learn to hunt the mountains and have never been happier. Ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbeard64

WKR
Well, since you moved there because you wanted and not just to hunt sheep - my post doesn’t apply to your situation.

Moving somewhere because you want to live there is one thing. Uprooting your life just to hunt sheep is another.

Mt Al

WKR

Feel like I'm highjacking this thread, but can you do a quick rundown on how you got 3 of the 4? Save? Draw? Lottery? That's very cool, congratulations and I hope you get your 4th.

For me I have drawn 2 desert tags and a rocky. I could do a year in Alaska for my Dall, I can't see 3 in BC for my stone
Plus I really don't want to give up my citizenship. I will have to research a dual citizenship.

cbeard64

WKR
MT Al -

I went to the Yukon on what I thought would be my only sheep hunt in 2006 for a Fannin (Stone’s) sheep. Got a beautiful 9 year old ram.

Then lightning struck and I drew a NR Arizona desert sheep tag and killed a beautiful heavy old warrior in 2014.

That got me to thinking about the slam so I went back to the Yukon in 2017 and took an absolutely beautiful 12 year old full curl Dall.

I am booked this year for a California bighorn hunt in BC in hopes of completing the slam.

The mountain goat was another total bonus as I drew a WY nonresident tag and took a 9 1/2” billy.

Bottom line - I went on the Fannin hunt before they became $50,000 hunts (mine was around 15K) and got extremely lucky in the draws. (I even drew a WY moose tag back in 2005.)

I have been blessed.

Mt Al

WKR
MT Al -

I went to the Yukon on what I thought would be my only sheep hunt in 2006 for a Fannin (Stone’s) sheep. Got a beautiful 9 year old ram.

Then lightning struck and I drew a NR Arizona desert sheep tag and killed a beautiful heavy old warrior in 2014.

That got me to thinking about the slam so I went back to the Yukon in 2017 and took an absolutely beautiful 12 year old full curl Dall.

I am booked this year for a California bighorn hunt in BC in hopes of completing the slam.

The mountain goat was another total bonus as I drew a WY nonresident tag and took a 9 1/2” billy.

Bottom line - I went on the Fannin hunt before they became $50,000 hunts (mine was around 15K) and got extremely lucky in the draws. (I even drew a WY moose tag back in 2005.)

I have been blessed.

Thanks for sharing and you have indeed been blessed with the draws! I can't complain because I don't put in out of state. I drew a Montana bighorn a few years ago, had a blast, got a nice one for the area I drew. Have max points and hope to draw goat and moose in the next few years. Hope to have one Dall in the next several years. Given what trucks and campers cost, it's just a matter of priority. Got the used truck and trailer already and putting $ away.

Good luck on the California Big Horn!

cbeard64

WKR
Thank you - it’s going to be a tough hunt with about 50/50 odds of getting on a legal ram.
But I’m going to enjoy the ride no matter the outcome. :)

A MT bighorn is the ultimate prize. Congrats!

Mudslinger

Lil-Rokslider
With the draw odds being terrible, if you can afford to go on a paid hunt possibly start with the Dall since it is the cheapest guided hunt (non-drawing). But I've seen the Dall sheep hunts going up 2K per year with some outfitters so if you want to get on one, need to start planning and get on some cancellation lists also and that could save you some dough.. My only wish is that I would have started planning a hunt sooner before the prices have sky rocketed. I'm hoping to book my first sheep hunt this year! Good luck with your planning!

tdot

WKR
Dont bother moving to BC. Hunting Regs are getting messed with by a weak government, propped up by environmentalists. I have a bad feeling dark days are ahead for hunters in this province.

I decided a month ago to accelerate my sheep hunting plans because I'm worried about losing the right in the not too near future.

Got married instead of filling my Grizzly LEH, my bad. (Not the married part)

tdot

WKR
No idea. It could be next year. It may not happen for 20. There is just alot of unpredictability in how the animals are being managed throughout the province. But I've heard rumblings about sheep hunting. Last time we heard grumblings like this, the Grizzly hunt was cancelled with less then a years notice. There were alot of outiftters/guides/hunters with prepaid hunts that were affected.

ljalberta

WKR
I don't think a stone sheep ban is coming anytime soon for BC, residents or otherwise. The grizzly hunt was different. There's definitely a fair bit of anti-hunting pressure in BC, but nothing close to the ridiculous closing of the grizzly hunt as a political play.

Mt Al

WKR
He’s not wrong...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just watched
EPIC 39 DAY STONE SHEEP HUNT! "On the trail of Chadwick"
on YouTube. One of the best things I've ever seen on YouTube, can't imagine having a father like that! Early on in the video they show a quick view of his wall of sheep....crazy.

If that doesn't stir the soul of a young man to consider a move to BC, well..., not the end of the world. I wouldn't have unless I had a damn good reason and could make a living. Pretty awesome though. Would love to know what others think of the video if you get a chance to watch it.

ljalberta

WKR
Great video. The hunting in BC is incredible. That being said, it's no easier to just move to Canada than it is for a citizen of any other country to just move to the US. There are significant barriers to overcome. If you're under 35 with a university degree though and two years of professional experience, it might make it a bit simpler.

tdot

WKR
I don't think a stone sheep ban is coming anytime soon for BC, residents or otherwise. The grizzly hunt was different. There's definitely a fair bit of anti-hunting pressure in BC, but nothing close to the ridiculous closing of the grizzly hunt as a political play.

I truly hope you are right. The animal rights folks will only be placated for so long.

It's a little worrisome what we hear being thrown about as good ideas right now.

Halfslam

Lil-Rokslider
You are on the right path just by asking for advice at your young age, stick with it and don't get discouraged. Start saving up now and in the meantime apply in states that don't have a PP system, like Idaho and Oregon for example. Buy raffle tickets when you can. Many of us started at an older age but the hunts were less expensive back then.
I first applied for an Oregon sheep hunt when I was discharged from the Marine Corps in 1970. I finally drew in 2018 after 48 years of faithfully applying every year. I'm now 70 and have been fortunate to have taken 3 of the 4. I'm still working on my Desert Sheep but the sheep gods haven't blessed me with that one yet. There is nothing compared to being on the mountain with a sheep tag in your pocket.

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll be the wildcard. If you plan on having kids ever, start saving now for your kids to hunt every sheep species. None of my own accomplishments or experiences have brought me as much joy as hunting with my kids.

I've talked about this with buddies, in 30 years it'll still be this same crowd dreaming about sheep hunts. Given that the majority of our youth is technology obsessed and believes they're entitled to everything, hunting is done within 20-30 years. If we don't pass the tradition along it dies with us.

Sorry, off my soapbox now.