Hunting safety

Me - 52 year old / married

Son - 10 years old

Here's my problem:
I want to get my son into the Hunter's Safety class ASAP. His mother (from a previous relationship) wants nothing to do with him and guns. She's not so much hateful of guns but more of me and anything I want to include my son on. Much time and money has been/continues to be spent on extending the meager every-other-weekend (4 days a month) that I get to spend with him.

Here in the Stevens Point area the WDNR Hunter's Safety Courses are offered as follows:
- Sat & Sun Courses for 16+ years old
- Weekly/Monthly courses all fall during the weekday

So as it sits right now a father like me is unable to get my son into a H.S. course for another SIX years.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm annoyed but I know my son is going to be deeply disappointed.

*zap*

WKR
My ex got a court order to keep me from bringing dead animals on her property after I stopped by to show my son a buck I killed.
Then we went to the first part of the safety course and the second was on her weekend, she said he could go 'if he wanted'.....then invited a bunch of his friends over for a sleepover party the night before the course so he would be tired and 'want' to stay home with his friends. It was all about interfering in the relationship my son and I had. Similar things were done on a routine basis for many years......it was a very trying period of time.

Most of the instructors are cops around here go talk to one of them tell them your situation I bet they would work with you. They want kids to learn to hunt and be safe.

kiddogy

WKR
Me - 52 year old / married

Son - 10 years old

Here's my problem:
I want to get my son into the Hunter's Safety class ASAP. His mother (from a previous relationship) wants nothing to do with him and guns. She's not so much hateful of guns but more of me and anything I want to include my son on. Much time and money has been/continues to be spent on extending the meager every-other-weekend (4 days a month) that I get to spend with him.

Here in the Stevens Point area the WDNR Hunter's Safety Courses are offered as follows:
- Sat & Sun Courses for 16+ years old
- Weekly/Monthly courses all fall during the weekday

So as it sits right now a father like me is unable to get my son into a H.S. course for another SIX years.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm annoyed but I know my son is going to be deeply disappointed.
make sure he knows momma is the bad guy.and look forward to the day he turns 18 and can choose you over her.

boom

WKR
i wouldnt ever play the game of trying to be the good guy.

i know toxic ex-wives and the ex-husbands always take the highroad. they tell me it is all about the kids for them..they refuse the paint the mom a villan. i believe it all will wash out in the end anyways.

the OP's position sucks.

ODB

WKR
Read a book called the Boy Crisis. And send it to the damn judge that only gave you four days a month. Eye-opening. And I’m not divorced, nor do I have a boy. But I have a daughter that will marry a boy one day and the picking are slim. This book explains why.

Sorry for the digression, but our culture is flat-out anti-dad when it comes to this stuff. To our peril.

Dualsight

FNG
A while back an article published in an outdoor magazine listed the benefits of hunter safety training. Along with the statistics showing the decrease in accidents and deaths during the hunting season since implementing hunter safety, there was another interesting statistic: as a “group”, the least likely person to commit a crime with a firearm is a person who has gone through a hunter safety course. Inform your son’s mother the benefit for him to go through the hunter safety course has further reaching implications than just hunting, but a respect for the firearm and human life. This might get her attention back on her son and off of you.

16Bore

WKR
Only a dickhead would put his son in the middle of ANYTHING.

Make arrangements for co-parenting classes for you and your ex. Then learn to get along.

When hunting and “time and money spent” are the priorities, you’re already on the wrong path.

Alvie

FNG
make sure he knows momma is the bad guy.and look forward to the day he turns 18 and can choose you over her.
Bad advice here!!
Rather then making any bad decisions deal with this with up most integrity hopefully as your son grows he will see who’s the real deal.

tanker

Lil-Rokslider
The online courses I know of are for 12+ and are more difficult than the classroom ones (my daughter did it). I would call WDNR and shop around for other courses. Might have to make a road trip out of it but that might make it even more fun for him.

kiddogy

WKR
Bad advice here!!
Rather then making any bad decisions deal with this with up most integrity hopefully as your son grows he will see who’s the real deal.
might not be great advice but it beats bending over and teaching your son what big wussies men have become.