Hunting Scenario Questions for experienced moose killers

mooster

WKR
An old scapula works well for calling moose but IMO nothing beats the Bull Magnet, I run a piece of 550 cord through mine and carry it over my shoulder, if it hits the brush and trees while walking through the woods it won't scare off any moose that are in the area and might actually attract them.
4 fly in hunts, the scapula adds weight vs. an empty jug for raking. I too like the bull magnet just don’t get carried away thrashing brush with it (don’t ask how I know)

Voyageur

WKR
4 fly in hunts, the scapula adds weight vs. an empty jug for raking. I too like the bull magnet just don’t get carried away thrashing brush with it (don’t ask how I know)
Care to elaborate on raking brush with your bull magnet? Sounds like there might be a story to be told.

mooster

WKR
Care to elaborate on raking brush with your bull magnet? Sounds like there might be a story to be told.
the fiberglass can be fragile. i didn't realize it as i was raking had whittled off a good bit of mine. once it started to fail it did so at an accelarated rate. this year i'm still carrying it, but will have a plastic jug for raking, at least until I hopefully find the scapula off last year's bull.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I like the bull magnet but I’ve also cut the bottom off a detergent bottle, I’ve had success scraping with the plastic paddle from my packraft too.

OP
ndbuck09

ndbuck09

WKR
Thanks so much for all the help guys! My buddy and I were both able to take moose on our trip and actually got it done by September 5th! Only took us 6 days to get it done! It's always hard to have a minds eye vision of an area being described to you without a map so in the end, we were able to get a elevated vantage point above the meadows/ponds I mentioned originally in the summer. This allowed us to basically just glass and wait for moose to come out. I was able to get a nice 350 yd shot on my dude! Again thanks for the help and guidance on not getting too aggressive!
Moose Shot.jpg

Matt79

Lil-Rokslider
Congratulations on an awesome bull! I will be hunting with renfros for 11 days this week next yr. I hope we have the same success as you!

I have made awesome brush racking sounds with a plastic Sailor Jerry Rum bottle with the bottom cut off. If space isn't an issue, the top of a mini action-packer lid is the best brush scraping sound device I have heard yet.

Multiple times I have seen moose bulls grouped up as early as August 25th, they are all starting to shed velvet and thrashing brush at that point to do it, so that's what I do the early part of the season. I haven't found cow calling to be real effective until after the 10th.

Congrats on the moose!!