Hunting Season is starting again!!

Billinsd

WKR
I didn't hunt Turkeys as usual with my son. However, I'm taking him Pig hunting between Paso Robles and King City with a guide!!! I was able to find and some non lead cartridges and went through a lot of hoops to make that happen, shortages and all. Amazing how that all happened.

Next hunt is general deer in Utah and then I'm confident that I'll draw a great controlled deer hunt in Idaho, because I'm so lucky.

I'll fit in upland birds in Idaho, Ridgecrest, CA, Eastern Montana, and or Southern AZ with my best buddy, my dog, depending on the forecast, weather, and being able to leave the family.

Later in December, I'll replace my arthritic hip, that I've been putting off for a year..

What's everyone else doing??

Last edited:
Sounds fun! I Got a Turkey in New Mexico already, and am still trying for one in Colorado. After that I'm fishing when I can before I hopefully draw a Mule Deer and Elk tag. I'll sprinkle in some Grouse hunting days this fall as well.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Good pig hunting around King City. I got three up there. I don't know if you have hunted up
there before but, there is a butcher in one of the King City markets who will have you ready to go the next day, at least that has been my experience. I have bagged all my turkey in that area.

OP
B

Billinsd

WKR
Make sure you get your CA background check for that dangerous ammo crossing state lines
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Ammo still flows into California. I purchase a gun every couple of years that means I'm legal to purchase ammo.

Last edited:
OP
B

Billinsd

WKR
I think we locked the gate at the border of Idaho, lol.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I think you have check stations for Californians along the I-15 and major highways, however I generally sneak in on the 93 by Jackpot.

Rob5589

WKR
I didn't hunt Turkeys as usual with my son. However, I'm taking him Pig hunting between Paso Robles and King City with a guide in a month!!! I was able to find and some 308 Barnes non lead cartridges from MidwayUSA and obtain them from a friend with a house in Arizona, who goes home there over the weekends. Amazing how that all happened.

Next hunt is general deer in Utah and then I'm confident that I'll draw a great controlled deer hunt in Idaho, because I'm so lucky.

I'll fit in upland birds in Idaho, Ridgecrest, CA, Eastern Montana, and or Southern AZ with my best buddy, my dog, depending on the forecast, weather, and being able to leave the family.

Later in December, I'll replace my arthritic hip, that I've been putting off for a year..

What's everyone else doing??
Report back afterwards. Been wanting to kill a pig but CA prices are ridiculous.

OP
B

Billinsd

WKR
Good pig hunting around King City. I got three up there. I don't know if you have hunted up
there before but, there is a butcher in one of the King City markets who will have you ready to go the next day, at least that has been my experience. I have bagged all my turkey in that area.
Thanks, my guide lives up there. I'll probably just quarter and bring home. I usually do that, even with elk. I've hunted at Fort Hunter Liggett for decades, mostly for pigs and a year and a half ago I killed a Tule Elk there. I took my elk to a Taxidermist in Atascadero, on the 101 with the antlers sticking out of the truck a bit and got a bunch of thumbs up. It's a gorgeous area, hilly, oak trees. My Taxidermist is also a guide for Turkeys and Blacktail Deer. There are wild Turkeys in San Diego I can hunt, of course it's hard, because the type of land they prefer is mostly private.

Last edited:
OP
B

Billinsd

WKR
Report back afterwards. Been wanting to kill a pig but CA prices are ridiculous.
I'm paying $850 for my son. It's a 2 day hunt, morning and late afternoons over barley fields and only includes the guide picking us up, driving us to a private ranch, hunting, and quartering the pig for the cooler. My guide said my son should get a 100 yard shot the first day. Most of his hunts are done on the first morning or evening. $850, that's cheapest price for a reputable guide, and this guide has a long, respected record. I'm not hunting, because I've killed pigs with a bow before and it's not worth $850 for me. I'm also planning to go to nearby Atascadero and pick up my Tule Elk mount. Turkeys are $1,200 for 2 days and blacktails $1,800 for 2 days. I'd say if you want to experience killing a pig in California, it's about a grand. I think it's worth it, at least once for the experience and the gorgeous scenery!!! I LOVE THAT ROLLING OAK COUNTY!!! I'll pick up some bottles of wine and spend a few days up there. It's a 400 mile trip to get there, though LA.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I hunted with Nessen Schmidt guide service but that was a few years back. He was Charging $650 then, I'm certain that has gone up by now. I also hunted the fort but, got sick of not knowing what areas would be open which varied depending on base ops. and who the commander happened to be at the time. Never got a pig there but did manage a few turkeys.

OP
B

Billinsd

WKR
There are 2 guys from the Sac area who were recently busted for game violations, and the investigation was undertaken based on CA DFG monitoring their social media posting. I will leave it at that.

CADFG has been doing that for decades. They did that on Jesseshuntng.com a few times. A bunch of guys would get together in a big group to hunt and the details and locations were given. Most of the time a fish cop, would show up and shake them all down. One time the guys were coyote hunting and a mysterious vehicle was following them and they didn't know who it was, panicked and sped off. The fish cops chased them and caught them and tried to hassle them for evading them. Of course nothing happened to the guys. No worse fish cops than California fish cops. Never post on a forum exactly where you be hunting and when as a group. California has been a real rotten state for about 3 decades now.

Rob5589

WKR
There are 2 guys from the Sac area who were recently busted for game violations, and the investigation was undertaken based on CA DFG monitoring their social media posting. I will leave it at that.

Holy sheeit! Trail cams, tracking devices on their pick ups, air surveillance, dna testing, all to net two fines of less than 6k and some probation. And people wonder where our tax/lic dollars go.

OP
B

Billinsd

WKR
Yeah, admitting to a misdemeanor on a public forum is not clever.

Good luck this season.
Thanks, drinking and/or having hallucinations and using social is illegal in California too.