Hunting State Border

gauge

Lil-Rokslider
Can anyone direct me where to find regulations on hunting state borders?
Say I am hunting the Colorado/ Wyoming border, if the Wyo land is public can I cross the fence to avoid a canyon? Obviously this would be with a weapon on my pack so I assume I would be considered a hunter with no license/tag? Also, has anyone experienced a elk being hit and crossing state lines to die?

I am aware this is all hypothetical but I am not able to turn much info up on the topic.

Last edited:
I would think traveling back and forth across the line is fine as long as you only pull the trigger in the state that you have a tag for.

xziang

WKR
I would check the state regs for carrying a weapon during their hunting season if you do not have a tag.

I know this isn't WY/CO but here in Nebraska there is this rule:
FIREARM RESTRICTIONS
During the November firearm deer season, only hunters with a valid unfilled rearm deer permit may hunt
wildlife other than deer with centerfire rifles or centerfire handguns, provided they are hunting in the
management unit for which their deer permit is valid.

Foldem

WKR
I have a buddy that shot a bull in Co, then it ran into Utah and died. He almost lost the bull because he recovered it in Utah without getting the game warden involved. I'm not a lawyer and I didn't stay in a hotel last night, but the way he explained it had to do with Utah's definition of "take" and by pursuing the animal and reducing it to his possession without a Utah tag he was technically taking it without a valid tag. It ended up working out for him OK in the end, but take the advice above and get with the Warden ahead of time, and then if the situation does arise make sure there's communication before you pursue the animal across the state line.

wytx

WKR
I have done it at the Wy- Co border with no problems but my tag was for Co and Wyoming has no laws about doing this for access. I accessed BLM land in Colorado through a state section in Wyoming. Pursuing your game across the state line would be different. Game Wardens would need to be involved.

I've dealt with this a few times on the ID/WY border. Clients arrow a bull in ID and it runs across the border before expiring. A quick call to the game warden was all that was needed. Usually they would come check to make sure the blood trail began in ID if they weren't otherwise engaged. The Wyoming wardens were very professional, courteous, and thorough.

FreeRange

WKR
I've done something similar with NPS land near where I hunt I can't stress enough to make very certain that you make it obvious what your intentions are, gun unloaded, on your pack, GPS with borders clearly identifiable etc. and even though the situation of a wounded animal running across state lines is a grey area, you should do your due diligence to rule out that possibility by not shooting an animal too close to the border. I'm sure you're an upstanding guy and that's why you're even asking, but warden's and other LEO's see too many bad apples to give every well-intentioned hunter the benefit of the doubt and I've heard plenty of stories to back up their biases unfortunately. Contacting the F&G branch in that part of WY and having their number saved would be a good start to cover yourself in the unlikely event something did happen or you were contacted in the field.