Hunting strategy elk vs mule deer

RCB

WKR
I'm curious about how people approach hunting elk vs. mule deer. Let's leave general area aside and say you're hunting the same unit, where both are present. Given the same unit, how would your strategy and tactics differ if you are after elk vs. mule deer? Do you look for different vegetation on the map? Topography? Elevation? Do you cover more ground elk hunting? Devote more time to glassing for mule deer? Shrubby stuff vs forests? Further from roads for one?

Or do you basically do the same thing?

Appreciate any info.

EDIT: regarding 5MilesBack's comment: yes, let's assume we're talking about rifle hunting.

Last edited:
Non rut:
Foe mule deer, I sit and glass spots I know or suspect hold bucks. I might move after 2 or more hours. But I a m.j not doing a lot of moving.

Elk hunting, I am generally trying to locate the elk, get into the elk. It is an aggressive approach until I find or get into the elk. I generally cover several miles every day, until I find the elk.

Beendare

WKR
Yep, 5 Miles nailed it. Archery for Mule/Coues deer is glass, glass, glass. Then figure out a sneak on them.

Elk strategy is to find them....then either sneak in or call them in.

I have hunted Water holes which can be very effective....but be careful as the wind currents in the mountains screw you up more often than not. Find that good water or wallow in the V of a ravine...and those smart bulls come in using the thermals to their advantage. Not always....but IME mostly.

______

Last edited:

HDwild

WKR
I'm curious about how people approach hunting elk vs. mule deer. Let's leave general area aside and say you're hunting the same unit, where both are present. Given the same unit, how would your strategy and tactics differ if you are after elk vs. mule deer? Do you look for different vegetation on the map? Topography? Elevation? Do you cover more ground elk hunting? Devote more time to glassing for mule deer? Shrubby stuff vs forests? Further from roads for one?

Or do you basically do the same thing?

Appreciate any info.

EDIT: regarding 5MilesBack's comment: yes, let's assume we're talking about rifle hunting.

Mule deer= Get high, glass, spot, stalk. Play the long game.

Elk= Hike, call, hike, call, locate, anticipate herd trajectory, set up on said trajectory, be wrong, REPEAT, get lucky, miss 3 times. At least that has been my experience haha

stonewall

WKR
I’ve wondered the same but in archery. I have some elk experience but no deer. I’ve always wondered about going with both tags. But I think I’d be wasting money and points on deer tag. I just don’t see that many and I’d only fill that tag by stumbling into one seems like. Haven’t yet caught the urge to focus on deer

Spot n stalk all the way for mule deer that "could" turn into spot n ambush and you could throw in still hunting.

So many ways to skin an elk. Call, call n stalk, call n move, ambush, still hunt, silent stalk, spot n stalk, run n gun, etc etc. You just have to be versatile

I’ve wondered the same but in archery. I have some elk experience but no deer. I’ve always wondered about going with both tags. But I think I’d be wasting money and points on deer tag. I just don’t see that many and I’d only fill that tag by stumbling into one seems like. Haven’t yet caught the urge to focus on deer

I hunted a LE unit in CO last year and had a deer and es elk tag in my pocket. Unfortunately I only had 2 weekends to hunt because I drew a great tag here in NM. Opening weekend, blew an opportunity on a herd of elk that saw me first. Watched the herd run thru the timber at about 20-30 yards. Next morning blew an opportunity on a giant muley at 40 yards while still hunting an elk trail.

Next weekend blew it on a giant bull 350+. On the way down to camp that evening I felt eyes on me. I look over and a big 3x3 muley had me pegged. As I raised my rangefinder he bolted.

Moral of the story? With a tag in your wallet, you have a chance. Therefore no waste of money. Kinda like the old saying "ya can't kill em from the couch"

Fatcamp

WKR
Don't hunt elk.

Deer we use a mix of glassing and sneaking around looking for them. Sneaking around is better because we get to see stuff and explore which is by far my first love. Mix the two and I'm in heaven.

I suppose you could call it still hunting but we hunt high desert, always think woods and forest when I think actual still hunting.

stonewall

WKR
I hunted a LE unit in CO last year and had a deer and es elk tag in my pocket. Unfortunately I only had 2 weekends to hunt because I drew a great tag here in NM. Opening weekend, blew an opportunity on a herd of elk that saw me first. Watched the herd run thru the timber at about 20-30 yards. Next morning blew an opportunity on a giant muley at 40 yards while still hunting an elk trail.

Next weekend blew it on a giant bull 350+. On the way down to camp that evening I felt eyes on me. I look over and a big 3x3 muley had me pegged. As I raised my rangefinder he bolted.

Moral of the story? With a tag in your wallet, you have a chance. Therefore no waste of money. Kinda like the old saying "ya can't kill em from the couch"
Wow sounds like you had quite an experience. Make a good point. I bumped two nice bucks in co one time hunting otc elk. Didn’t have the points at that time for deer tag anyway. Maybe one day