Hunting/Stuff to check out in Gila National Forest

I am hoping to get down to New Mexico and visit the Gila National Forest Area.

I was curious what affordable hunting opportunities are in the area. Cheap and over the counter tags is what I am hoping for.

I am still looking up info, but mountain lion hunting sounds interesting. I understand spot and stalk lion is very difficult, but I will have plenty of fun just exploring the area. I think javelina and barbary sheep are maybe an option, too.

Any other cool stuff to check out in the area? Neat waterfalls, rock features, etc. Preferably near an airstrip, though I don't mind a little hiking.

To put it simply, I will be checking out the airstrips in the Gila National Forest, and would like to know of any cool sights to see. It would be cool do a hunt in the area sometime, too.

Thanks in advance for any info.

AZmark

WKR
Glenwood (about 50 miles east of where I live) has a nice little airport just a few miles from the Catwalk on Whitewater Creek. Whitewater creek, was opened for Apache trout fishing a couple years back, not sure how this drought has affected it though.

Mogollon is a neat little ghost town not far from Glenwood, not sure if the have a airstrip though.

Silver City is a cool little town with lots of history and not far from some good fishing on the Gila River. They have a airport in Hurley. Best Mexican food in the world is at Jalisco's in Silver City.

I hunt deer and elk in units 15 and 23 when I can draw a tag, had a muledeer tag last year and shot a 3x3 don't have any tags this year. Not sure about if NM still has any OTC deer tags for archery as I don't bow hunt anymore. Their hunt regs are online.

def90

WKR
Pretty sure any hunting in Gila is high demand low draw odds type stuff. They don’t have a point system but only 6% of tags go to non residents that don’t use an outfitter.

AZmark

WKR
Yep. I just looked at the regs and the only way to get a deer tag now is though the private land hunts. I think you have to go through the land owner to do this and pay their fees. May be expensive.

Shadow Aviator....where will you be flying in from?

AZmark

WKR
Do you do much pheasant hunting in Kansas? Any suggestions on where to go if I drive in from AZ? I have a great dog, see my avatar.

OP
ShadowAviator
We have hunters that lease our land. The pheasant hunting isn't the greatest right now, however the quail seem to be making a comeback. I don't pheasant hunt much. There are a few hunting operations around, though. Ringneck Ranch, Quail Quest, Special T, etc. Its probably more fun to shoot wild birds, but the pen raised ones ensure you have meat to take home.

Other than that, I don't really know much on pheasant. There may be some better places elsewhere in the state. I will say the best way to flush them out is with our 9610 John Deere combine during milo harvest. Too bad the season isn't open then.