Hunting suppressors

Forest

WKR
Thinking about putting together a new elk hunting rig, and considering building it with the intention of putting a suppressor on it. Cant stand muzzlebreaks, so im hoping this would get me in a similar position in regards to recoil and spotting shots.
-What are some cans you guys are using???
-Being super quiet isn't a priority. Would rather put more focus on size than noise.
-the cheaper the better, obviously, but want a quality product.
-dont have my mind totally made up on caliber, but leaning heavily towards 300wsm.
-thinking 21-22" barrel with a 4 or 5" suppressor. Resulting in an overall length similar to a 26inch barreled magnum.

Not much info on these guys out there, but priced right and very lightweight and compact

Fair bit more expensive, but they sure have a good reputation and good reviews

Open to any ideas & suggestions. Would be my first suppressor, thanks!

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

EasilyExcited

Lil-Rokslider
Its a game changer. I have a silencer co omega on a 7mag and love it I think its 22 in with 7inch can. I recently picked up a 270 win and cut it down to 20 and its much nicer

I hunt everything with a yankee hill titanium.
Its fantastic for exactly what your looking for.
I also have a surefire i use and like it.
Lastly i have gemtech its my least favorite due to weight and performance. Its super loud and changes my accuracy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HuntnPack

WKR
Take a look at :

Gap Jaeger. ( Made by Mac Brothers)
(reflex style, Only extends 4.5”, 7oz.)

Mac Brothers. Helium

Wyoming Arms (4” 4oz., & 5” 5oz.)

TBAC. Ultra 5

Rebel Hunter (modular)

These are just a few shorter models that
would allow you to stay with a slightly longer barrel for the velocity/performance, & still be manageable overall length.

Just so you aren't disappointed - a suppressor is still quite different from an effective muzzle brake when it comes to aid in spotting shots. They are somewhere in the middle between bare muzzle and the upper end of recoil reducing brakes. In general, the smaller you go with the suppressor, the less it's going to reduce recoil as well. My 22" 7 SAUM is over 9lbs with an ultra 7 and there is way more muzzle rise/recoil than with the titanium MBM brake on it.

KHNC

WKR
I have a CA Carbon Classic in 300 WSM, with SilencerCo Omega 30 on it. Hardly any recoil and i can easily shoot without earpro. Last time i shot a deer with my 7-Mag and break, i almost blew out my ear drum. Done with that shit.

OP
F

Forest

WKR
Thunder Beast is the current gold standard for precision rifle suppressors. If this is your first suppressor, look at the 30 cal Ultra-7. I wouldn't be looking at a k-can for your first bolt rifle suppressor.
Dumb question here, what is a k-can???

All good info guys keep it coming!

ahlgringo

WKR
Another vote for silencerco omega 300. Have it on my t3 -06 chopped to 20”. Hunt any NA big game up to 500yds without earpro and pretty tame recoil- just got back from the range shootin hot 165’s and put 50 downrange- pleasure to shoot. I dont have a bunch of cans, just this one and a 22. The 300 is pretty damn adaptable- so dont really feel a need for a bunch more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ericF

WKR
Dumb question here, what is a k-can???

All good info guys keep it coming!

It is a designation for a short or compact supressor, but I feel you lose more than you gain going to a super short design for centerfire rifle. I've got two Silencerco Harvesters and a Silencerco Omega. In my opinion, the Harvester was the first can marketed specifically to Hunters and is lightweight with a built in brake, but is a little longer at 9 inches. The Omega is a little heavier, but comes in 2 inches shorter at 7 inches. and also handles double duty with both direct thread and ASR mount. Thunderbeast is known for their precision suppressors and have great offerings with their Ultra line, but you will definitely pay a premium. I haven't shot a Thunderbeast, but I feel like the Silencerco offerings with the brake give you great recoil reduction in addition to the supression.

I'm looking at my first suppressor as well. I found this test that shows some testing done on a bunch

The test doesn't evaluate recoil reduction. I guess that would be more important if shooting magnum cartridges.

chefcreed

FNG
The Rugged Radiant may fit the needs. Lightweight modular, 30 cal up to 300 RUM and no barrel length requirements. Hoping for first hand report soon...

Squatch89

FNG
How long of a waiting period on getting a suppressor? Don't you have to apply to use a suppressor?

chefcreed

FNG
Purchased January 15, ATF check cashed middle February, stamp arrived August 16. Dealer says 6-8 months now, some faster.

OP
F

Forest

WKR
Has anyone used the Wyoming arms suppressors?? They sure are light and compact, look like a good outfit and somewhat local which I like. But not much info out there about them.

renagde

WKR
I finally broke down and bought my first one a few weeks ago. I went with the TBAC Dominus. TBAC seems to be hands down the most popular suppressor when it comes to precision shooting. I wanted something that has little to no point of impact shift so that's why I went TBAC. The new Dominus is silly light and seems to be well constructed. Lighter, shorter, and quieter than the Ultra 7. I have yet to have a conjugal visit with it at my local gun shop, but I did fondle it for a bit when I filled out my paperwork.