Hunting the Needle Mountains?

bwanacarl

FNG
Has anyone elk hunted this area? I am planning for an archery hunt this year and was thinking about taking the train in and hunting the ten mile creek area. But I'm not sure how much pressure that area gets and how the elk population is in the region. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
Has anyone elk hunted this area? I am planning for an archery hunt this year and was thinking about taking the train in and hunting the ten mile creek area. But I'm not sure how much pressure that area gets and how the elk population is in the region. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Call the game warden and local biologist, they can give you a vast amount of information.

bwanacarl

FNG
Thanks to both of you, I'm still waiting to hear back from the local warden. The map features on the website have been a great help in selecting some difficult to reach areas but the amount of hiker/hunter traffic in those areas is a bit more difficult to find without local knowledge. I am planning on going in the second half of September so I know there will be muzzleloader hunters and archery deer and elk hunters to contend with but don't really know how many are willing to go up there. This will be my first hunt in that area but I have been up there to climb in the summer and there were quite a few people around the Chicago Basin area but I hope to avoid that by heading north and staying away from the hiking trails.