Hunting the Needle Mountains?

rhendrix

WKR
Was looking for any input from anyone whose been in this area, another Rokslider turned me on to this area, but all I've read online is it hold a lot of goats...which doesn't help me much if I'm hunting mule deer.

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
75 in CO. You can access it on the Neddleton TH by the train.

bowuntr

WKR
G5 archery only goat area.... I should draw any year now.... I haven't heard anything about the deer hunting. Beautiful mountain range and a fun train ride. Sorry. Ed F

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
If I'm looking at the hunting atlas correctly they are in 75.

With such a good goat population there, does that hinder the mule deer population?

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know that specific mountain range, but do know that La Plata country grows some world class deer. Just have to find the deer country which isn't usually the goat country, but they usually aren't too far apart.

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
everything west of the animas is unit 74 which encompasses the needles range

I was looking at tenmile creek and needleton TH which look like they're also in the needle mountains. I could be wrong.

Robby, how do you go about finding good spots that you'd like to go scout when looking at a topo map? I'm fairly new to this, so bear with me.

if you are talking about the tenmile creek in silverton it is on the east side of the river which would be 75, however the needleton trailhead which is usually accessed by the train is in 74. If you are looking at units 75/751 there are better places to go.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I don't use topos much anymore, Google Earth much better as you can see the trend in vegetation types better. Bucks live where it's steep, somewhat rocky, but lots of feed (green on GE). Most don't live in country that has more rock than feed, that is for the goats.

If it's a mountian range like those in Colorado mentioned, look for the stuff between about 10,500 and 12,000 feet if you're hunting archery, muzz, or 2nd season deer, after that, they can be anywhere from about 11,000 down to winter range.

ckleeves

WKR
if you are talking about the tenmile creek in silverton it is on the east side of the river which would be 75, however the needleton trailhead which is usually accessed by the train is in 74. If you are looking at units 75/751 there are better places to go.

Maybe I'm wrong but doesn't the needleton trail start in 74 and go into 75 within a few hundred yards? And Mount Eolus and Chicago basin are both in 75 aren't they? Maybe Im lost?

ckleeves

WKR
But it goes east across the river right at the start doesn't it? Ha ha sorry OP this thread has gone from deer hunting advice to unit boundaries!

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
No worries, I was under the impression it went across both gmu's, but haven't been near a topo or computer all day to verify.

I really need to call a GW or biologist and talk to them about the core areas for the goats.

Chicago Basin would be the core goat area with them spread throughout from there and clear up to Silverton. The largest numbers tend to be around chicago basin, but large billies can be found anywhere throughout the area, but usually the more remote the better. My avatar pic is of my dads boone and crockett billy from g5, which I believe is still the largest goat killed in the unit