HUNTING TIPS IN GRIZZLY COUNTRY

I have several tips when hunting in grizzly country whether it was hunting sheep moose elk caribou deer.
I wont include them all at once here but spread them over a course of time.

My first tip has saved me trouble with grizzlies on several occasions over the 50 years ive been hunting in the back country where the kill was not readily visible from a distance

After the kill and if its necessary to go back and get my pack horses or come back for another load of meat back packing . I would always cut a tall branch 8 ft plus the higher the better or I use one of my walking sticks put a ribbon or plastic bag on it on it and stick it in the meat . When I return im cautious and look for the pole if its moving or down which you can see from a distance be aware its very likely a bear is on the kill. I have come back on kills that had a grizzly on the meat. it saved me from a unnecessary encounter. One of my hunting partners 20 years ago could of used that advice . Marcel had shot a moose at kluchesi lake , while dressing it out he heard a elk bugle went after it no luck when he returned to his moose he surprised a grizzly on it . Marcel managed to get a shot into the charging bear hitting it. The bear stumbled but carried on with the attack. Marcel unfortunately didn't pull the bolt all the way back and loaded the empty shell back in the chamber. He waited the bear circled him and charged again . When the bear was a few feet away and he pulled the trigger click nothing. The bear severely mauled him and he lost consciousness . when he awoke the bear was dead on top of him bled out from the first shot. His buddy found him shortly thereafter and packed him back to Kluchesis lake and fortunate for Marcel a doctor was at the lake about to go out on a guided hunt. he basically saved Marcels life he had lost a lot of blood. They transported him to the hospital by helicopter.
So back to my Tip. what happened to Marcel happened in seconds . if he had a pole and ribbon in the moose he would of seen it swaying or down and he could of avoided being mauled. Hope this tip is a like. Ill post another one shortly and if you Have a tip throw it in.

I like that idea. How do you get a pole that long to stand up? I wouldn’t want to think a bear was around if one wasn’t and the pole was just blown over by the wind.

Packing the meat around a pole on the ground keeps it from cooling. There has to be a better way.

Legend

WKR
I like it.

I have another G bear tip from experience. When using trekking poles DO NOT put your hands through the wrist straps. When the bear charges the poles get in the way of your quick draw.

OP
stoneramhunter
I have several tips when hunting in grizzly country whether it was hunting sheep moose elk caribou deer.

My first tip has saved me trouble with grizzlies on several occasions over the 50 years ive been hunting in the back country where the kill was not readily visible from a distance

After the kill and if its necessary to go back and get my pack horses or come back for another load of meat back packing . I would always cut a tall branch 8 ft plus the higher the better or I use one of my walking sticks put a ribbon or plastic bag on it on it and stick it in the meat . When I return im cautious and look for the pole if its moving or down which you can see from a distance be aware its very likely a bear is on the kill. I have come back on kills that had a grizzly on the meat. it saved me from a unnecessary encounter. One of my hunting partners 20 years ago could of used that advice . Marcel had shot a moose at kluchesi lake , while dressing it out he heard a elk bugle went after it no luck when he returned to his moose he surprised a grizzly on it . Marcel managed to get a shot into the charging bear hitting it. The bear stumbled but carried on with the attack. Marcel unfortunately didn't pull the bolt all the way back and loaded the empty shell back in the chamber. He waited the bear circled him and charged again . When the bear was a few feet away and he pulled the trigger click nothing. The bear severely mauled him and he lost consciousness . when he awoke the bear was dead on top of him bled out from the first shot. His buddy found him shortly thereafter and packed him back to Kluchesis lake and fortunate for Marcel a doctor was at the lake about to go out on a guided hunt. he basically saved Marcels life he had lost a lot of blood. They transported him to the hospital by helicopter.
So back to my Tip. what happened to Marcel happened in seconds . if he had a pole and ribbon in the moose he would of seen it swaying or down and he could of avoided being mauled. Hope this tip is a like. Ill post another one shortly and if you Have a tip throw it in.
Thank you for the likes to the grizzly post

bz_711

WKR
Considering first hunt in Grizz country this year...I'm all ears!
These simple effective tips are what have always been great about Rokslide!

Thanks!

OP
stoneramhunter

MY NEXT TIP-HUNTING IN GRIZZLY COUNTRY

When hiking thru terrain always keep your scope at the lowest power. A Grizzly in the distance gives you time to react. Should you encounter a grizzly at close range or on the charge the lower power setting gives you a wider field of view.

Superdoo

WKR
MY NEXT TIP-HUNTING IN GRIZZLY COUNTRY

When hiking thru terrain always keep your scope at the lowest power. A Grizzly in the distance gives you time to react. Should you encounter a grizzly at close range or on the charge the lower power setting gives you a wider field of view.

This should be done no matter where you are. If your not on an animal, make sure your magnification is at the lowest setting. If you need to boost the magnification you'll have time to boost the magnification.

rhill

FNG
Good tip. I'm in WY and have always been a little hesitant to bow hunt elk in the areas of the state that have Grizz, but every bit of info to stay safe gives me a little more confidence to do it.

kid44

Lil-Rokslider
Two guys when possible when field dressing game in grizzly country, one to field dress and one to stand guard.

Good info. I applied and expect to draw a wilderness hunt in a known Grizzly area of WY this yr.
My outfitter wasn't concerned but did ask me if I had a sidearm to bring. Never had that asked before.

nvkevin

FNG
Great idea for a thread. More and more of us are pushing farther into the back country and new areas where we may encounter these beasts. Always be on the look out, and these tips will definitely help with that!!