HUNTING TRAILER FOR REMOTE OFFICE WORK?

Oregonboy

WKR
Hey gang,

I'm going remote (for work) as of January 1st and moving 300 miles away from my current home. As we look for a home with office space, I had the idea of buying an outdoor trailer that I could also use to hunt with. I don't own anything like this. I'll park it on the side of the house, keep it plugged in and use it as a dedicated office.

It would be nice to be removed from the house and have my own quiet space. I was thinking there could also be some tax write off advantages as this would be primarily used for work and thus a business expense. Having a small recreational vehicle for family trips would also be really fun.

Like I mentioned, I've never owned a trailer/5th wheel, etc and this may be a horrible idea. However, I figured I'd float it on here to see if anyone else has tried this.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Opah

WKR
I believe for a trailer to be deducted as a business expense it would have to go from job sight to job sight or have a anchored position at your home.
you could build a deck that is level down the side of the trailer but have it open at the front to pull out and back in

Mt Al

WKR
Great idea! Multi-use, get some separation from home (huge!!!), can still use home wifi. We have a bumper pull camper parked next to our garage and it gets minor use for stuff like that. The dinette is a big U shaped couch with a big table, so nice to spread work out on.

Sound wisdom!

I just got an old school bus, and it was the best decision I've ever made honestly.

Brendan

WKR
Contact an accountant, but my recollection is tax write-off doesn't work for every employee type - i.e. it's a no for a W2 employee but maybe for a 1099 employee. And, there are limitations.

Still wouldn't stop me from doing it, Having a trailer you could sleep in and work in that you can tow wherever you want to be would have big advantages. Trick it out with insulation, heat, AC, lots of battery power, solar, get yourself good cell/WiFi antennas and a good unlimited bandwidth hotspot and it gives you a fantastic base camp. Not that I've ever thought about this :D

Last edited:

The home office deduction is available to qualifying self-employed taxpayers, independent contractors and those working in the gig economy. However, the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act suspended the business use of home deduction from 2018 through 2025 for employees. Employees who receive a paycheck or a W-2 exclusively from an employer are not eligible for the deduction, even if they are currently working from home
Looks like its a no if you are a W2 employee.

Don’t buy one to big to haul. I bought a 36‘ bumper pull. It was super nice but a pain to take anywhere. Even with my 1 ton. A 5th wheeel would have been the ticket or something in the 27’ or smaller range For a bumper pull. As for the tax write off if your work is requiring you to work remote then I wouldn’t see a issue but my accountant yells at me for trying to right off every hunting trip because I take ”potential clients”

Id do a cargo trailer conversion. Rv side door.
Rear ramp.
Insulation, lights etc.
Hunting season comes through the desk and printer in the garage load and go

When I took up hunting I opened an ADC company and wrote off the weapons, ammo, camos, glass, electronics, packs, 4X4 and basically everything. What's your side business that you need this "office" for?