Hunting Travel Trailer

awasome

Lil-Rokslider
First Lite "The Method" youtube series has a trailer built out specifically for hunting.

Voyageur

WKR
I "converted" a 6x10 and it works great for this purpose. Insulated walls and ceiling. Also has both 12v and 110v so I can use either the battery I wired up or use a generator/shore power depending on where I am. E-track on the walls as well from which I built a shelf that is used as overhead storage and can still drive ATV underneath for transport. Back the ATV out and set up a cot and you're good to go.
I even went so far as to pick up an ARB awning and quick release kit so I can use the awning on the side of the trailer with the door, but then bought the awning room so I simply move the awning to the other side of the trailer and attach the room which gives you an 8x8 tent if you so desire.
Your setup sounds slick. What is the ceiling height of your trailer?
Thanks.

kpk

WKR
I knew a guy years back that converted a trailer and had a shower in it. I'm not sure on the details, but he put in a small on demand water heater. In the front of the trailer was a shower floor pan - one of those tiny ones that's about 3'x3' and a shower curtain around it. Wasn't fancy by any means but it was sure nice at the end of the day.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
@Jordan Budd just did something similar and talked about it on a podcast.

Jordan,
I think there would be a lot of interest in a detailed podcast regarding this.

We just did a quick video on it for the elk hunt that I’ll get posted asap and linked here. It’s a fairly brief overview but runs about 10 min. Gives a person a descent idea. In my mind it’s one of the best things I’ve ever done. I’m probably right around $12k total including the trailer that was brand new. 7x14 extra tall for my side by side.

This photo looks back at the bed which breaks apart and my side by side fits in the back. Direct vent propane heater. I’ll get the video going

66f16dd6adb6e6b336f58a30ec15a80a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Titan_Bow

WKR
I built out an old army M101a2 utility trailer. I bought the trailer at a government auction for 475 bucks about 10 or 12 years ago. You can sleep in it but I mainly use it to haul a comfortable camp setup. I’ve got onboard power with a 100mah battery, 2 20 lbs propane bottles let me run a mr heater buddy and a big camp chef grill. I use a 10x20 foot turbo tent that’s pretty quick to setup.
I was out for a week in Nebraska this year and camp was really comfortable!
One thing I like about the army trailer is that it’s basically bomb proof. I don’t have to worry about things breaking. The only maintenance is really just the wheel bearings, which I redid when I purchased it, and making sure your tires aren’t flat.
I would love to convert an enclosed trailer for a mobile hunting camp though. I like the idea of having an RV style full bathroom. With my current setup, a porta potty tent can be miserable when you gotta do a class two download in the middle of the night and its 10 degrees outside.

I've seen used pop ups on Craigslist for around $5k or less. That's probably the route I'd go and potentially spend some $$$ on a lift and new axle to increase ground clearance with taller wheels/tires. Electric and gas lines already run, more or less plug and play after suspension mods.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I will add, if you decide to go the route of an older travel trailer or pop up, be very cautious and know what you are looking for and how to spot potential problems. I know a couple different folks that have bought older trailers on Craigslist thinking it would be a fairly inexpensive hunting camp, and they all have had significant problems or failures with them, especially taking them on anything off pavement. That’s probably the biggest benefit of going with a more ruggedized utility or enclosed trailer instead.

11boo

WKR
Really liking that trailer Jordan. Been thinking of similar and selling my 20’ camper. I’ll have to measure my SxS, I think yamaha is taller than Honda.

We just sold out toy hauler and I have been kicking this idea around. You can find them for sale already converted once in a while. The cost can make them less attractive once you start looking as you can get a used camp trailer for not too much if you dont mind an old one. I have a sxs and have looked at an enclosed trailer for it anyway so it appeals to me. If I could find a pop up with a deck that would hold a sxs that would probably be a good option but I am guessing quite costly. I have also considered a Jumping Jack trailer.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Really liking that trailer Jordan. Been thinking of similar and selling my 20’ camper. I’ll have to measure my SxS, I think yamaha is taller than Honda.

You’ll definitely need the taller than. From all of my research every brand of side by sides roll bars were taller than all standard trailer heights I could find.

renagde

WKR
I'm in the process of building one. Started with a brand new 8.5x20' enclosed trailer with 7.5' ceiling. Stripped it to the frame, spray foamed the roof and the under carriage. Used ridged foam board insulation for the sides because I was concerned that the heat from the spray foam would warp the sides. I sealed the roof with a silicone sealant and installed 1500 watts solar on top. I have a full Victron inverter setup so it's seamless going from shore power to solar. I have 2 bunks in the v nose up front and plan to put a queen bed on a platform in the back. (platform will be able to be lowered from the roof down to sleep. I'll be able to store it against the roof when not in use so that I have room to park an atv dirtbikes kayaks etc underneath for transportation) I have a bathroom with a composting toilet and shower, kitchen with propane stove and a propane water heater. I have a 42 gallon freshwater tank and I have room to add another one if needed down the road. No onboard black water tank because I felt a portable one was a much simpler solution. I put in 2 windows and have plans to put in 2 more small ones. I have a mini split that needs to be installed to provide heating and cooling. I put a ton of work into it this spring and summer but my fall has been so full. Still need to do a lot of finishing touches and the little details that take up all the time. The plan is to be able to completely off grid for weeks at a time.

So far I'm in it for around 12k and I probably won't be spending too much more since I have most of the supplies I need to finish it. I bought lots of stuff used or new stuff for dirt cheap on eBay. Also got a hell of a deal on the trailer so that helped. The reason for going this route was that the price of travel trailers are absolutely ridiculous right now. Going this route let me choose my layout, absolutely make sure that everything was sealed off properly and done right. I shouldn't ever have to reseal the roof or worry about the trailer rotting away.

seww

WKR
Off-topic:
A long time ago, when my grandfather was hunting moose in Northern Sweden, his buddy had bought a brand new camper trailer for him and his wife. He was very careful with it, no boots inside etc. etc.
Well... One night grandpa, his brother-in-law and the owner got a little drunk and my grandfather pulled out the accordion.
The next morning there were footprints on the ceiling, and the trailer was almost trashed!

So the owner drove it back to town, a good hour or so, and traded it in for the same model but new(!) so that the wife wouldn't know of the damages they caused.

Gutshotem

WKR
I'm in the process of building one. Started with a brand new 8.5x20' enclosed trailer with 7.5' ceiling. Stripped it to the frame, spray foamed the roof and the under carriage. Used ridged foam board insulation for the sides because I was concerned that the heat from the spray foam would warp the sides. I sealed the roof with a silicone sealant and installed 1500 watts solar on top. I have a full Victron inverter setup so it's seamless going from shore power to solar. I have 2 bunks in the v nose up front and plan to put a queen bed on a platform in the back. (platform will be able to be lowered from the roof down to sleep. I'll be able to store it against the roof when not in use so that I have room to park an atv dirtbikes kayaks etc underneath for transportation) I have a bathroom with a composting toilet and shower, kitchen with propane stove and a propane water heater. I have a 42 gallon freshwater tank and I have room to add another one if needed down the road. No onboard black water tank because I felt a portable one was a much simpler solution. I put in 2 windows and have plans to put in 2 more small ones. I have a mini split that needs to be installed to provide heating and cooling. I put a ton of work into it this spring and summer but my fall has been so full. Still need to do a lot of finishing touches and the little details that take up all the time. The plan is to be able to completely off grid for weeks at a time.

So far I'm in it for around 12k and I probably won't be spending too much more since I have most of the supplies I need to finish it. I bought lots of stuff used or new stuff for dirt cheap on eBay. Also got a hell of a deal on the trailer so that helped. The reason for going this route was that the price of travel trailers are absolutely ridiculous right now. Going this route let me choose my layout, absolutely make sure that everything was sealed off properly and done right. I shouldn't ever have to reseal the roof or worry about the trailer rotting away.
Would love to see some pics when you have a chance.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member

How’d the spray foam work for the floor? The floor insulation is the next big project, just not sure the best way yet

renagde

WKR
How’d the spray foam work for the floor? The floor insulation is the next big project, just not sure the best way yet

It worked really well. They sprayed 3” so it’s suppose to be moisture proof. It really dampened the floor and it sealed everything up so I’m not worried about bugs and rodents getting in.