Hunting Trip from Hell

Wapiti1

WKR
Success dragging a trailer all over is about prep. I've done it for many years and only ever had a couple of flats. That includes taking boats up hundreds of miles of gravel into Canada.

Others I know have had that moment when they saw a tire pass them on the freeway and wonder where it came from. Then the screeching sounds made more sense.

Still it sounds like a decent trip all in. The elk were there, and you had time in the woods.

What are you doing next year? I need a camp bitch so I can hunt more. We can take my trailer.

Jeremy

I have traveled out of state to hunt elk twice. Both times to Montana, I was living/working in Kansas. While it was a good time, driving sucked. I don’t envy you guys who have to drive out here.

As a person who drags a trailer around for over 100,000 miles a year I always recommend getting the heaviest duty trailer your vehicle can handle,no matter if you plan to load it that heavy or not, they come with bigger better breaks,bearings,and frames that tend to bounce less. Along with lrE tires and axle tubes that are less prone to damage. And last and not least a pretrip maintenance and inspection of Everything...cuz it can and will go bad...but all and all sounds like you handled whatever got thrown at you with style and grace my good man.

I hate packing, I hate gear breaking, and I hate cleaning it all when I get home. That’s why I’ve become a minimalist. I hate being cold and wet, and hungry, that’s why I wish I wasn’t so lazy and would take all that stuff with me :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisAU

WKR
I Feel fortunate to be able to transport from Alabama to CO and back 4 guys and gear and one elk in a mid size truck with only one thing having to be strapped to the outside...

I do feel your pain though, I’d have lost my mind ha

0E84087D-067A-45BC-BAAE-C2303E3A3B99.jpeg

No broken bones, no hospital trips, no near death experiences, no gear stolen, vehicle wasn't vandalized... I feel like you lack an adequate sample size to understand what an elk hunt from hell is really like. I'd chalk it up to the universe balancing the books for you getting your first bull the opening day of your first hunt.

Shrek

WKR
Sometimes you’re the bug and sometimes you’re the windshield. You were definitely bugging it this trip. Thankfully you escaped with your health so there’s next year to look forward to.

ChrisAU

WKR
Shoot one elk takes 250+ quarts boned out. That's half your bed space in a Tacoma.
Meat and ice filled a 100, 100, and 110. Cape filled a 60 with some ice. So more like 90% lol. Add a double rifle case, gas can, chainsaw, and tire chains and that’s all she wrote. We put all our stuff in a heavy duty big ass bag meant to go in roof top cargo baskets and put it on top of the coolers. Then we just had to drag it out and stuff it back in every time we drained the coolers.

OP
Firehole Hunter

Firehole Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Meat and ice filled a 100, 100, and 110. Cape filled a 60 with some ice. So more like 90% lol. Add a double rifle case, gas can, chainsaw, and tire chains and that’s all she wrote. We put all our stuff in a heavy duty big ass bag meant to go in roof top cargo baskets and put it on top of the coolers. Then we just had to drag it out and stuff it back in every time we drained the coolers.

You'd had a lot more room if you put something on top instead of those puny-assed antlers on top of your vehicle. At least put that big ass bag on top of the antlers to cover up your shame. And why in the hell would you bring back the hide of the puny elk. I mean come on man! Just kidding and maybe a little jealous.:eek:

What if more people shot elk?

A massive rack, nobody got injured, and a few days with best friends, and the weather wasn't even miserable. I know this experience wasn't great, but man, this seems like it has all the makings of a great "level 2" fun experience...you'll all grill up some backstrap, down a few beers and become BFFs again. I have high hopes for you guys. So high, I'd take the bet that you'll go elk hunting again with a lot of the same guys.

someone told me decades ago that "Horses and trailers (Especially boat trailers ) hate you"they spend all their time trying to defeat you and wear you out.I think they were right.
With that said,never ,never use a trailer with those small diameter golf cart tires ,there over heat BAD with weight /speed