Hunting trip swap...

Good afternoon, folks. I was just wondering if any of you would be interested in exchanging a NW Florida alligator hunt for helping put me on an elk (or any other western big game hunt). Please feel free to shoot me a message if this might interest you and I'll fill you in on the details of the hunt, but here are the basics... I have a house on a river system that offers hundreds of miles of great territory, and if the weather cooperates, I can pretty much guarantee 1-2 alligators up to about 8 feet. 9-10 footers are most definitely possible on any hunt. I've never killed one over 11 (they are pretty smart by that size), but they're out there and I've certainly put many a stalk on them only to prove unsuccessful. Anyway, I've got the perfect boat for it, and all of the necessary gear and most years I have plenty of tags. I also have a cooler for immediate storage, and would be happy to drop off at processor at the end of a hunt. Once processed I'd also be happy to handle the brining and eventual salting and shipment of hides to a tannery of your choice. There is also a local taxidermy guy who does great euro mounts of the skulls. No alligator is the same in terms of how to best harvest. As such, on board will be all of the gear necessary to implement a combination of crossbow, harpoon, bait and snatch rods. Hunts begin at last light and I typically hunt all night and into the morning (one of the best times) prior to going back to the house for some sleep. I typically hunt two nights in a row, and expect to harvest 1-2 alligators per night. It's really a neat and different experience, but believe me when I say that is a HUNT. Nothing is guaranteed and it's a lot of work. Sometimes the cooperate, but it's not uncommon to spend 1-2 hours on a particular alligator trying to get a line on him... if it's a big one and a trophy is the goal, I may spend 2-3 hours trying different things. There are some private land hunts where they can be shot with a rifle, and/or hunts conducted on foot... this is not one of those hunts. Way more work than that. I'm on a 16' aluminum boat with a 40hp tiller steer, and we're hunting a combination of lake, swift open river, brackish open water, and still sloughs and swamps.

I'm an experienced hunter with a clean record. Each year I probably spend 20 days or so in the field... the bulk of which is private and public land in NW Florida, but I've also hunted western KS, TX, IL, KY, AL, GA but that has been just for whitetail, of which I've harvested 81. I am proficient with my old Matthews bow, an Excalibur crossbow, a Traditions .50 ML, an A-bolt in 270WSM and a Bergara in 300WM.

In terms of boating, well... I owned a boat before I had a bicycle as a kid. I'm 39 years old, and I'm going to guess that I have close to 7,000 hours of experience operating a boat with probably another 1,500 as a passenger. I maintain my own stuff and on only one occasion did I not make it home under my own power.

Anyway, it was just a thought I had earlier today. I absolutely love it, and it's also fun to share the experience with folks who have never done it.

Anyway, it was just a thought I had earlier today. I absolutely love it, and it's also fun to share the experience with folks who have never done it.

Last edited:

The10%

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome offer, sounds like a great time! Would love to see that country some day. What time of the year is gator season?And are you looking to rifle or archery hunt elk?

OP
P
Awesome offer, sounds like a great time! Would love to see that country some day. What time of the year is gator season?And are you looking to rifle or archery hunt elk?

August 15th is always the opening day. Each permit awards a hunter (me in this case and a guest would need to buy a $60 agent's license to accompany) two tags. There are four one-week seasons, each one opening the day after the prior one closes. After all four seasons have concluded, all remaining tags are good through the end of October. I don't like to hunt much past the first week of Oct because the weather begins to cool off at night. A 60 degree night on a 80 degree (no exaggeration for some portions of where I hunt) can mean insane steam coming off the water. It renders hunting 100% impossible, and depending on how far I've run from the house, a very long slow ride home.

I'd prefer rifle simply because I'd want the greatest chance at success. If, however, limiting a hunt to archery meant accessing better tags / area (thereby increasing chance of success) then I'd consider that as well. Gut reaction would be to stick with rifle, though.

Dvidos

Lil-Rokslider
August 15th is always the opening day. Each permit awards a hunter (me in this case and a guest would need to buy a $60 agent's license to accompany) two tags. There are four one-week seasons, each one opening the day after the prior one closes. After all four seasons have concluded, all remaining tags are good through the end of October. I don't like to hunt much past the first week of Oct because the weather begins to cool off at night. A 60 degree night on a 80 degree (no exaggeration for some portions of where I hunt) can mean insane steam coming off the water. It renders hunting 100% impossible, and depending on how far I've run from the house, a very long slow ride home.

I'd prefer rifle simply because I'd want the greatest chance at success. If, however, limiting a hunt to archery meant accessing better tags / area (thereby increasing chance of success) then I'd consider that as well. Gut reaction would be to stick with rifle, though.
+1
e.png

Just curious...do you encounter much ‘competition’?
When you say processor...how does an alligator typically get processed?

Sounds like an awesome opportunity for someone!

OP
P
Just curious...do you encounter much ‘competition’?
When you say processor...how does an alligator typically get processed?

Sounds like an awesome opportunity for someone!

Believe it or not, I seldom see many boats. I wouldn't publicize that on a Florida fishing / hunting forum, but I don't mind sharing that here. Many a nights I won't pass a single boat. Every so often we'll see somebody else, but honestly, that's the exception to the rule. Although when it does happen, it's invariably right when I'm getting to within range of one we think we want to hunt. Hahaha.

Processing... I don't keep the dark meat. All of the white meat (jowls, loins and tenderloins) is cubed. At least that's what I do with it. Anything under 9' or so you can expect to be delicious. 10' and larger and it's kind of hit and miss in terms of quality. You might have 10 great bites, and then one that's a little off. I like them skewered on the grill (seasoning of your choice), fried is always popular (can do egg wash and thick batter, or just lightly dredge them), really good in a curry, I add it to gumbos and soups. Pretty much anything that you would do with a boneless chicken breast.

Your hunt offer appears pretty generous. From the sound of it, seems like a guaranteed successful hunt assuming nothing crazy happens. Hopefully some experienced elk hunter can return the favor and at least get you in position for a shot.

OP
P
Your hunt offer appears pretty generous. From the sound of it, seems like a guaranteed successful hunt assuming nothing crazy happens. Hopefully some experienced elk hunter can return the favor and at least get you in position for a shot.

Well, it's probably a long shot, but I figured it can't hurt to toss it out there!

Well, it's probably a long shot, but I figured it can't hurt to toss it out there!

I'm not one that could offer you a equal trade hunt. I'm part curious and would in part like to see you or anyone else find success in some small way. Are you looking for a Elk hunt this year or in the near future? This years draw in many states is past but there are still some OTC tags out there for a couple states.

OP
P
I'm not one that could offer you a equal trade hunt. I'm part curious and would in part like to see you or anyone else find success in some small way. Are you looking for a Elk hunt this year or in the near future? This years draw in many states is past but there are still some OTC tags out there for a couple states.

Nah... next year would be fine. Or even the year after that, although I'm hoping to do an AK moose hunt in 2022. That was on the books for 20201, but deleted (and refunded) after a TON of change in circumstance both in AK and here locally. Honestly, I'm not even sure if what I'm offering is comparable. I do know that it's a fairly unique hunt, and the way (and place) I do it is a little more of an adventure than most of your paid alligator hunts. Even with nothing to trade (or perhaps a whitetail, antelope, muley in new country) I'd probably be cool with taking the right person. You know, pending a little research on each other, some social media stalking, etc. ;-) I'm always looking for somebody to take... every hunt is a lot of work and a long night. I have 2-3 people each year I can count on to make a trip, but that's about it.

Nothing urgent. Just kinda dawned on me yesterday as I was begin mentally going through this year's check-list of what all needs to be done, and I began putting together list of who to call.