Hunting tripod for shooting with the possibility to swap the head for a camera rest?

ssimo

Lil-Rokslider
Hi everyone, i always kept 2 different tripods: one for shooting (bog havoc, which is very simple but worked well for me) and one for camera selfshots (a very light and small amazon one, it folds in and i keep it in the backpack). Now i decided to buy a single tripod with the possibility to use it for

1) shooting (consider that i don't use the tripod for long shots cause my rifle is zeroed to shoot from a bipod and so the tripod is only used for relatively close shots where i need a rest for stability from standing or kneeling). Hence i need something that could make me lean the rifle on the tripod very quickly because at those relatively close distances i don't need perfect stability and it's more important to me not to lose the right moment for the shot. So i thought about a rest/saddle more than a clamp type of head.
2) mounting the camera (a very small and light one) to take pics in low light and sometimes selfshots with the animals i take. The camera is a fujifilm and the mounting is made through standard camera threads of which i don't remember exactly the name.

Do you have any input on the brand/model to look for or about other options for my style of hunting?

Thanks!

get a tripod that doesn't have a center stem. direct mount a fluid ballhead to it and use an ARCA rail adapter on your rifle to attach it to the ballhead.

TaperPin

WKR
The photography world is full of Arca plates and adaptors for all sorts of positions, combinations, angles and whatnot.

If I’m visualizing this correctly you’re wanting two attachment points for ball mounts? Cheese plates are made in all shapes and sizes and are threaded 3/8” and 1/4” to attach to tripods and have any number of ball heads or accessories mounted in whatever way you want. Putting an Arca rail under a cheese plate is as easy as putting anything on top.45FFF1BB-C7BB-4B93-AB91-AAE6F2877E52.jpeg

ColeyG

WKR
Many (most) tripods work with quick release plates/adapters. I mounted a QR plate on a shooting V rest to be able to quickly swap between the rest and my optic of choice on the tripod. It works with spotting scopes, bino adapters, iPhone selfie holders etc. anything that is compatible with the standard QR adapter thread pitch.

OP
ssimo

ssimo

Lil-Rokslider
The photography world is full of Arca plates and adaptors for all sorts of positions, combinations, angles and whatnot.

If I’m visualizing this correctly you’re wanting two attachment points for ball mounts? Cheese plates are made in all shapes and sizes and are threaded 3/8” and 1/4” to attach to tripods and have any number of ball heads or accessories mounted in whatever way you want. Putting an Arca rail under a cheese plate is as easy as putting anything on top.View attachment 676888
Probably i didn't explain myself well.. i want a tripod i can swap heads of, going from a hunting-shooting head (which i would keep as the main one) to a camera mounting head

OP
ssimo

ssimo

Lil-Rokslider
get a tripod that doesn't have a center stem. direct mount a fluid ballhead to it and use an ARCA rail adapter on your rifle to attach it to the ballhead.
I have also a bipod, wouldn't the arca system interfere with it? Also, i think that, since the rifle would be zhot from the tripod for max 200 yards shots, maybe a faster shooting head like a rest (without the necessity to do anything other than restino the rifle over it) could be a more suitable option for me. The head of the havoc was perfect for me for example, i killed many animals using it

TaperPin

WKR
Probably i didn't explain myself well.. i want a tripod i can swap heads of, going from a hunting-shooting head (which i would keep as the main one) to a camera mounting head
Oh! Arca plates are available in small sizes to fit any size camera, and to fit any rifle. Arca started as a good photography mount, although shooters sometimes think I’m crazy. Really Right Stuff was/is primarily a photography brand before being widely used in shooting.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
For the tripod legs, Leofoto has lots of lines with plenty of options. There will be one that fits your height/weight needs

For a shooting head, google is your friend. No idea what your budget is. There are several offerings of saddle heads, and there are probably BOG-style yokes you can buy.
Also sounds like a largish sandbag set on top would suffice for your needs.
For a photography head, I assume you know what you want.

Last edited:

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hi everyone, i always kept 2 different tripods: one for shooting (bog havoc, which is very simple but worked well for me) and one for camera selfshots (a very light and small amazon one, it folds in and i keep it in the backpack). Now i decided to buy a single tripod with the possibility to use it for

1) shooting (consider that i don't use the tripod for long shots cause my rifle is zeroed to shoot from a bipod and so the tripod is only used for relatively close shots where i need a rest for stability from standing or kneeling). Hence i need something that could make me lean the rifle on the tripod very quickly because at those relatively close distances i don't need perfect stability and it's more important to me not to lose the right moment for the shot. So i thought about a rest/saddle more than a clamp type of head.
2) mounting the camera (a very small and light one) to take pics in low light and sometimes selfshots with the animals i take. The camera is a fujifilm and the mounting is made through standard camera threads of which i don't remember exactly the name.

Do you have any input on the brand/model to look for or about other options for my style of hunting?

Thanks!

The shooting you described doesn’t need a separate head.

I recommend you get a shooting bag to toss over the camera head and shoot off that. Unless you are in a blind, clipping in at close range only has drawbacks. Clamps systems too. The bag is fast and flexible.

The shooting bag can be used for lots of other purposes.

Do you already have or carry a bag?

We make some bags at LS Wild that would suit you. One is 2.5 ounces another is heavier but under a pound.

mjspeers

Lil-Rokslider
I have a RRS 24L with Anvil. Great do all, could add a pt scout for camera or glassing.

if you’re looking sub-alpha, I have the below Leofoto as well. I actually really like it. Comes with center stem and just base plate. Add Anvil30 to the baseplate and have fluid head on the column, you’re set. Keep in mind, everything is a trade off, the thinner the legs the less sturdy, particularly for shooting. So practice helps.

jeffpenland123

Lil-Rokslider
get a bog deathgrip infinite all you have to do is slid the head off the arca mount then put you camera on their. i do not own one of these i own a bog deathgrip mossyoak bottom land.it does not have the ball head.

I have also a bipod, wouldn't the arca system interfere with it? Also, i think that, since the rifle would be zhot from the tripod for max 200 yards shots, maybe a faster shooting head like a rest (without the necessity to do anything other than restino the rifle over it) could be a more suitable option for me. The head of the havoc was perfect for me for example, i killed many animals using it

A small Arca plate from Area 419 won't interfere with your bipod give that the balance point on your rifle is going to be very close to the magwell or where the barrel and receiver join.

BUT you can also get a arca plate adapter for your bipod if you wanted to install a full length arca rail on the rifle forearm

If avoiding China made tripods is important to you, RRS and Outdoorsmans are made in USA.
Slik is made in Maylasia. Almost everything else I’ve seen is made in China.

The RRS system with the Anvil head is pretty much the ultimate shooting system. You can certainly put a spotter, binos or a camera on an Anvil head. I would feel very confident shooting from an Outdoorsmans pan head as well.

The option to add a PT Scout, as @mjspeers mentioned, is an excellent idea.

I’ve been using an RRS 24L with the Anvil for a few years. It’s decent enough, but a quality fluid or “pan/tilt” head would definitely be better for photography. The Anvil, by itself, has limitations on tilting and is definitely a level of skill required to smoothly aim with a camera or optic.