Hunting truck rental

For those that have rented a hunting truck for an out of state trip what exactly is the process. I am taking you get one with unlimited miles. What do the average cost run, do you get insurance in case of an accident, since it’s on a hunting trip do you have to clean it afterwards.
I am planning on getting a new truck just don’t know if I will have it before my next trip and my current one is in the shop.

What companies are the best to go through

Do a 5 day rental
Thanks

Michael54

WKR
Your best bet is to just call the rental companies and get pricing. Make sure they know how many miles you are driving. The longer you have it usually the cheaper it gets.Absolutely wash it before returning it. If you have full coverage auto insurance it will usually cover the rental. Last tip is be aware its not yours dont put yourself in a position where you need a tow or to use your insurance. Burying a vehicle up to its frame rails in mud and needing a tow truck when you are paying for it by the day probably isnt a great idea.

hodgeman

WKR
Some rental companies prohibit you from leaving paved roads or towing a trailer. It'd pay to check prior to banging one down some two track or fire roads.

I rented a UHaul pickup twice for out of state hunts. Just flew into the airport, took an Uber to the UHaul place, and drove away hunting. UHaul has two price structures:
1) Weekly rate of $350 ????
2) Daily rate of $20/day plus miles
I liked it because the truck isn't in perfect condition and wasn't overpriced. But the tires are road tires, nothing more.

I've also rented an SUV from a regular rental company and tried to avoid going that route because it was much more expensive for me.

Every location is different and most (all?) of the rental companies prohibit you from driving off of a paved road.

Last edited:

N2TRKYS

WKR
Use internet sites for the best rates and start checking them early. I've asked several rental companies and they've all told me that they couldn't guarantee a 4x4, unless it was a full sized SUV(more expensive) or a Wrangler.
Your insurance and credit card(check with your card company) will cover you.
No need to wash them before turning it in. I had a company tell me one time that they have folks to do that.
Unlimited miles has been standard for every vehicle I've ever rented.
I recently rented a 4-door Wrangler for 11 days for $512. I thought that was a decent price

mlgc20

WKR
Before I bought my own, I rented several Ford F250s from Enterprise for RV towing. The process was not unlike renting a car. Enterprise has a truck rental website. I found that going into the office, I was able to negotiate a little better deal than what was offered online. But, it definitely wasn't cheap. I want to say it was around $1,000 for 8 days or something like that. (They charged extra if you were going to be towing with it.) I would call them or go into the local office and talk to them. I found the local guys at Enterprise to be very helpful.

fmyth

WKR
Enterprise Truck Rental has Ram and Ford 2500 crew cab diesels for $74 a day here in the PHX valley. The trucks are equipped for towing. Enterprise is the only company I could find that allows towing with their vehicles.

Fatcamp

WKR
After our Wyoming honeymoon my wife got to looking at the rental agreement for our car while headed back to Denver.

Oops. Guess they don't have GPS on their cars.

Fullfan

WKR
Have rented both a Toyota and a f150 crew cab 4x4. Multi state fly into Missoula and hunt Idaho. Reserved the trucks before, and negotiated upon arrival. Most times we rent for 10-16 days limited mileage. Anywhere from 650.00-1000.00 per truck

gbflyer

WKR
I’ve used Rugged Rental out of Salt Lake City 3-4 times. Good folks and reasonable rates. They have off-road and towing rigs. They just ask that you make an attempt to clean it up before you bring it back.

My insurance covers the damage if in a accident. But well NOT cover the days it is being fix. So you would have to keep renting the truck till it is fix. And you are at the mercy of the auto body shop schedule.
For a extra fee with my insurance company they well also cover the time it is in the auto body. I believe the fee was under $40 so not to bad. Check with your insurance company.
3/4 ton diesel truck from enterprise was around $1100 for 10 days.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I rented a Ford Excursion with unlimited miles (round trip NJ / Colorado) for 11 days and it was in the $800's. Most places wouldn't guarantee a 4x4 but there's a local place I lucked out.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

FLAK

WKR
I rented a Nissan Murano once for an Aoudad hunt in NM.
Before I took it back I had to crawl underneath and cut off
the PLASTIC skid plate that was flapping in the breeze, may
have been ripped halfway off somewhere around the Guadalupe rim.
Thank God for serrated edges on knives. And why would they
put a plastic skid plate on anything?

Jamo318

FNG
I rented a Nissan Murano once for an Aoudad hunt in NM.
Before I took it back I had to crawl underneath and cut off
the PLASTIC skid plate that was flapping in the breeze, may
have been ripped halfway off somewhere around the Guadalupe rim.
Thank God for serrated edges on knives. And why would they
put a plastic skid plate on anything?
Sounds like more of a skid indicator than a skid plate. Haha.

traviswdalton

Lil-Rokslider
For my elk hunt to New Mexico I did a package deal for everything flight motel and rental through Travelocity. I got a Chevy Colorado from enterprise. They didn’t “recognize” the insurance I bought through Travelocity so I had to buy insurance again. Get full coverage it covers anything. Cost $600 for 7 days total unlimited miles. I probably won’t rent from enterprise again but my dealings with Travelocity were awesome. I would use them again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk