Hunting truck rental

I rented a Dodge Ram 4x4 this summer for a two week fishing trip. There is absolutely no reason to wash the vehicle before returning, I have never had a mileage restriction and try not to rent from airport locations as they can be more expensive and have the worst customer service.

Insurance from the rental company is only worth it if the cost will be less than your deductible.

Check online for coupon codes as well for better prices.

I have rented cars quite a bit and without a doubt enterprise and the other car companies they own are the worst to deal with. My girlfriend is a manager of a branch and has had to ‘fix’ some pretty major customer service problems for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

keepriding

Lil-Rokslider
How is there not a company out there renting the thousands of out of state hunters beater 4x4s? For whichever of you folks that lives out west, and takes this stellar idea and makes millions, I'll be happy with a free rental and airport pickup each year.

How is there not a company out there renting the thousands of out of state hunters beater 4x4s? For whichever of you folks that lives out west, and takes this stellar idea and makes millions, I'll be happy with a free rental and airport pickup each year.

Turo is nationwide and Rugged Rentals is in Salt Lake City. But I agree, there is room for more.

WKR
I rent 4x4 trucks as needed for long distance drives instead of putting the miles on my truck. I typically use Enterprise and never buy their insurance. I figure if the government allows you to deduct .55 cents per mile for personal vehicle business expense, then I can crush that on long drives by driving rentals. The rates I get never have mileage limits on them.

Fatcamp

WKR
I rented a UHaul pickup twice for out of state hunts. Just flew into the airport, took an Uber to the UHaul place, and drove away hunting. UHaul has two price structures:
1) Weekly rate of $350 ????
2) Daily rate of $20/day plus miles
I liked it because the truck isn't in perfect condition and wasn't overpriced. But the tires are road tires, nothing more.

I've also rented an SUV from a regular rental company and tried to avoid going that route because it was much more expensive for me.

Every location is different and most (all?) of the rental companies prohibit you from driving off of a paved road.

This is a great idea.

Rich M

WKR
I just did Avis/Budget - $500 for 2 weeks, 2 drivers, Tacoma 4x4 TRD - we put 4,000 miles on it.

Your auto insurance should cover your trip vehicle.

My buddy flew in and rented a 4x4 Dodge pickup, forget what he paid but is was like $300 - ditto on insurance.

I rented a brand new Silverado and spent about 2 hours cleaning it before returning it. Carry zip ties to re-attach the front bumper wind dam!

And that is why I will never buy another GM truck. I had a 2007 Yukon XL and that was the year they pussified their trucks. What genius puts 33" tires standard so you can go over stuff but then has a bumper that won't clear a curb? I ripped that front valance off several times what a horesh-t design.

MattiG

FNG
With respect to not washing a rented truck before returning, I'm assuming we're not worried about mud unless it's excessive? And I'm also assuming if critters are properly bagged or dressed then there's not enough hair or blood in the bed to worry about? I'm fortunate enough to be renting a truck and hunting with a buddy who lives in the area, so I'll probably hose out the bed at his place anyway. I just assume not worry about getting dinged for it if I can conveniently hose it down.

Lefty26

FNG
Bumping this older thread back up. Does anyone know if any of the truck rental companies offer a truck cap as an option on their rentals?

SDHNTR

WKR
Most rental places, like Enterprise, will tell you that you’re not supposed to leave pavement. Which is exactly why you wash the truck before returning it. Don’t want to be too obvious you completely disregarded their rules.

Squamch

WKR
Always buy the insurance, and always take a video walk around of the vehicle both before picking it up, and when you drop it off, with the company rep. Get the rep in the video. Makes it harder for them to rip you off later.

Rich M

WKR
The diff insurances are outrageous - over $100/day and then you rent it for say 10 days (I did 14), your price goes up considerably.

I did the photo thing - we walked out and I started taking pictures. Brought it back, parked in diff spot and took a bunch of pics before going in.

Car wash & detail is mandatory IMO. If you have trouble getting dirt out of the rug, use one of those brushes that looks like an old clothes iron and brush the rug while vacuuming.

mylsuhat

Lil-Rokslider
I am planning a WY antelope for this coming fall and have been wondering about the rental aspect. Turo looks like a great place to rent from. It seems like Air BnB for rental cars lol.

I've been contemplating flying into Denver or Rapid City. Denver definitely has more vehicles

dihardhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Turo is mentioned several times in this older thread - any more experience folks can share with using Turo? I'm seriously considering this outlet for a fall hunt, but really curious if the general impression is still positive for the option or if some negatives have been cropping up?