Hunting upgrades for my RAM 1500

philcox

WKR
I have a 2014 RAM 1500, CrewCab, 5.7L Hemi, 4wd Big Horn. I have the lifetime warranty, so never plan on selling (no reason to). Based on that, I am trying to make it the best hunting rig I can, yet keep my waranty in tact. currently has the stock 20” wheels, and I put a leveling kit on the front.

I just installed a WARn winch in a Vice Designs hidden winch cassis.

I am wonrdering what other things would make significant improvements. I am looking to update the suspension, but no clue as to what is a good option. Also planning on going to 18” wheels one I wear my BFG’s KO’s out.

Any insight on the things for this truck are appreciated.

Phil

22lr

WKR
Camper shells are super nice if your not hauling quads in the bed! Makes a decent truck camp if needed, but they keep gear dry and safe for a few min while you make stops coming and going to the field.

Mattys010

FNG
I agree on the camper shell, they allow for dry lockable storage. I like the ones that are taller than the cab of the truck. Get a good tow strap and tree saver for your winch, some blocks of wood and a shovel.

scfreeman66

Lil-Rokslider
Bilstein shocks front and rear.
17" or 18" wheels with 10ply all terrain tires- matching spare
Leer topper - or other brand if it is more convenient/less expensive
Eventually fit up some chains for your new tires
Recovery equipment, I keep a jack/jackstand combo, T-Wrench and wheel sockets, wheel chocks, 25' x3” strap, one 10' chain, Come-a-long, and some various hand tools in a bin in the bed at all times

(Attached is a picture of the jack that I use, it works fantastic)
a6c6530fe5a67809a11939c773c29dda.jpg

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
Sounds like you're pretty dialed. I would definitely look into 18's. You'll have more sidewall for airing down, better compliance over obstacles, better wheel protection, over 20's. 8-10 ply for sure.
Suspension; only if you really need to. I installed Bils in my 19 Ram and like the improvement on and off road. I lifted the front 2" with them and added a 1" spacer under the rear coil.
Shell; love having the Leer shell. Keeps stuff dry, more secure, and I can sleep inside.
Other than that, the usual recovery gear, air compressor, jumper box, etc.

fmyth

WKR
If you switch to 18" wheels you may want to do some research on wheel offset to move the tire/wheel out an 1". This should give you enough clearance to run chains front and rear. On my 2019 I used 1" wheel spacers but when I buy new wheels I will order them with enough offset and can get rid of the spacers.

Torrent50

FNG
Take a look at the Diamondback tonneau covers if you aren't sold on the camper shell. Can put over 1500 pounds on top and they lock up solid. You can lock up your gear and still put a quad on top if you want.

Air bags on the back if your pulling anything heavy, helps balance the truck a fair bit. Keep the winch, in my part of the world it can be a life saver when you need it, plus it is handy for winching moose up to skin them out in camp.

Erict

WKR
if you drive dusty roads and have a cap or cover I recommend filling every hole in the bed with chunks of foam, plus sealing the tailgate gap as best as you can. I did so before my 2020 montana hunt and glad, as that dust is very fine, gets in everywhere but does not just blow off. It seems to set up and nothing short of pressure washing or brush will get it all off the bed liner nor gear.

Blackstorm

Lil-Rokslider
I have the 2012 Laramie limited w 20" tires and chains, Get the Ram skid plates mine came with them, if you go off road they will save you and your drive train many times over, Air bags are another item that I love depending on what I'm towing. Have you replaced the headlights and fog lights yet with either High output or LED lights, I went with LED's and the brightness level is great and more importantly the field of view is so much larger. I also wired in a 1000 or 1200 watt inverter for under the cap direct to the battery, just handy to have.

boom

WKR
maybe 18" wheels? i imagine more rubber relative to wheel is a good thing.

camper shell, auxiliary lighting.

TX_Diver

WKR
Skip all the gucci accessories and get some good seat covers and rubber floor mats.

Good tires are important too.

Moserkr

WKR
I read a bunch of responses and none that mention extreme vulnerabilities of your truck. I too had a 2014 ram 1500 cc laramie sb. Had a winch in front/rear on a hitch, bilsteins all around leveled in front, hd springs in the rear to reduce sag with weight in the bed, 33” tires, and it had a topper. It was great until I broke 2 things and damaged another 2.

1- I broke the ELECTRONIC power steering during a water crossing. Granted it was a bit extreme, flash flood I pushed through hard, but the power steering seals failed and fried the electronics. $3k to fix and not under warranty. If you dont have a skid plate here it is highly recommended. Also just be weary of this flaw and that even skid plates wont save you. Jar you wheels hard enough it can ruin the seals.

2- Driving down a dry forest road that any stock truck can handle, I drove over a stick that was 5’ long and only 1” diameter. Something you dont think twice about normally. It popped up just right as it broke and speared my transmission pan. Drained my tranny fluid instantly and left me stranded miles from help. Theres a sequence of buttons to push to get it into complete neutral to drag home. The tranny pan is composite PLASTIC!!! Add a skid plate here if you can. I could not find one at the time. Very expensive fluid ($30/q x9) tranny($15k), and pan($400). Luckily my tranny survived but we removed the rear driveshaft to drag her out.

3- Dented both rock rails under the passenger and driver doors. Protect your rails too, preferably with something mounted to the frame. Those steps that attach the the body are cute and worthless - I added some after my rock rail damage and bent those brackets without trying.

I upgraded to a ram 2500 cummins. Its resale value and strengths are unmatched vs a 1500. I loved my 1500 but she left me stranded too many times and was weak. Great on road truck but dont let that fool you, shes vulnerable off road. Take it from someone who paid the price.

Attachments

• A77AE8CF-8601-444D-B5C1-8306358A41A6.jpeg
    A77AE8CF-8601-444D-B5C1-8306358A41A6.jpeg
    336.7 KB · Views: 85
  • 3A956893-3110-4EA2-871D-089E16A04C73.jpeg
    3A956893-3110-4EA2-871D-089E16A04C73.jpeg
    523.6 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

WCB

WKR
-Good jack
-tire plugs
-compressor
-topper or tonneau cover and seal the back end up.
-Winch (make sure you have one for the back also).
-Good seat covers and definitely good floor mats. I just bought a new Silverado and have interlocking floor mats not one piece of carpet showing in the front or back.
-I would also recommend spraying the rocker panels and wheel wells to protect against rock damage.

Bdm6686

FNG
Remi Warren did a podcast about this, it’s “closing the distance” episode 62. Echos most of what’s been said here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk