Hunting upgrades for my RAM 1500

nobody

WKR
Step 1: Put truck in neutral on flat ground, preferably concrete where it can roll easily.
Step 2: Pop hood
Step 3: Remove radiator cap
Step 4: Push Ram out of way
Step 5: Pull Chevrolet under radiator cap
Step 6: Replace radiator cap on Chevrolet
Step 7: Sell Ram for scrap.

I'm sorry, I had to haha. We have a saying in my family: "Friends don't let friends drive a Ram."

In all seriousness, it sounds to me like you're pretty set. I personally would vote against a camper shell, but that's just my own cultural bias. I think they're ugly as sin and I HATE the idea of not being able to just reach over the side of my bed and grab something. My Dad had one for about 2 weeks when he bought his Father in Law's old truck, and we pulled it off and junked it. Anything that needs locked up, we put in locking totes and stack them in the bed and strap them down. We also almost always have the flat bed trailer with the Jeep on it, so we can also stack more stuff if needed on the trailer and strap it down. But I think the biggest upgrade you can do is to put good tires with an appropriate rim size on it. It'll ride better off road and tires will also be cheaper in an 18 versus a 20 inch rim. That being said, if you drive the truck as a daily driver outside hunting season, you'll hate the longevity of the BFG's. Their traction off road is unrivaled for an all terrain, but they don't last on road. If you don't drive far, no big deal! But they won't last any longer than a mud tire does on a truck. Last set my dad had lasted about 18,000 miles on his Diesel.

Jgill pursuit, I agree on the shell, I like having good visibility out the back in the woods, especially with a full size pickup.

not saying a shell is wrong, I just don’t like them. I’m considering a tonneau cover or decked setup in my pickup... a tonneau is still a sleeping shelter, so I may go that route

Step 1: Put truck in neutral on flat ground, preferably concrete where it can roll easily.
Step 2: Pop hood
Step 3: Remove radiator cap
Step 4: Push Ram out of way
Step 5: Pull Chevrolet under radiator cap
Step 6: Replace radiator cap on Chevrolet
Step 7: Sell Ram for scrap.

I'm sorry, I had to haha. We have a saying in my family: "Friends don't let friends drive a Ram."
We were a Chevy family up until I bought a 2000 brand new and the quarters, rockers, and cab corners were rusted out by 2010. My brother had same experience on his 2006, and I would never buy one again. Look around on the road, and the first pickups to have blistered rear quarters, rockers, and cab corners are always Chevy's. Their trucks from the 90's wear better than the the new stuff they've put out in the last 20 years.

My 2000 has the bed off, and I braced and welded the frame where I could find any decent steel remaining. However, it is now relegated to pulling a water tank around the farm to water trees. The only good part was the drivetrain, and years from now it will probably still be running with just the frame, a box to sit on, tires, wheel, and the motor. :)

Farm truck is a '94 F250 long bed 460 and daily driver is now a 2019 RAM Limited (traded my 2015 Laramie yesterday).