Hunting vehicle other than pickup??

Scrappy

WKR
108687The wife and I just came back from 3,550 mile scouting trip. Kept a bed made in the back to take turns sleeping so we could make the most of our time. Wished I would have taken a pic of the road we went up. It was pure mud, the little rav4 I believe is way more capable than I'm willing to try. Which is a good thing to keep me out of trouble. My filosify is buy more tags, not more fuel.

Last edited:
Good old JKU....Several years with it. Holds all my gear with the seats folded. Can go any where I need it to.108699

New sliders, front bumper, winch, wheels and tires since the first one was taken. Winch not shown in 2nd pic.

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
0a5d23503b818608efb59672d608f0c4.jpg

This bike has been a game changer for me. Makes getting deep to my scouting and hunt spots very quick, no more crawling around on 4x4 roads. Even able to take singletrack trails to the edge of wilderness areas and hunt. I live close to my hunting spots that when I get something on the ground I usually go home, grab the truck and come grab the meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slick

WKR
Just sold a lifted 09 Tundra with 175k for a a ‘17 Outback with 23k
97711a0bb0fb27f419e525f95bea95f9.jpg
spent a night in a ditch in a blizzard.

4158fdac60545f629245524df4f163ec.jpg

probably gonna have to lift it too. Needs meaty BFG Ko2 tires and should be good.

Tbunao

FNG
I recently purchased a 3.6r outback. Stock they are .3in lower than a stock tacoma and only 22 less horse than a tacoma. Add the 2in lift ( 10.7 true clearance ) and some meat to the shoes and I can basically get to where I want. Hd springs for heavy haul outs and still getting 28mpg on the highway. Highway travel is 80% of my travel here in MT.

It may not rock crawl or any of that but that's not what I was looking for. If you youtube it these things do some and go through some pretty impressive stuff.

Yea it's not ”manly” but I could careless about that crap. I'm all about efficiency to my wallet.

Last edited:

JoeDirt

WKR
What tire are you running? I just put a roof rack on mine and was going to put a 2” lift on it before Elk season.

I dont remember the size, around 28" I had them on my car before that lift. They are a cheap Hankook mud tires. I wouldn't buy them again they wear out to quickly.

JoeDirt

WKR
I assume ticks are not an issue wherever it is that you hunt? I'd never be able to put a deer in the cab of my vehicle.
Honestly ive never had a tick. Everyone gets them but not me :ROFLMAO: This was late season rifle they are pretty bad in the summer months.

Those Subaru’s are bad ass guys! I never would have thought they were that capable and still get that kind of fuel mileage.

Just another couple things done on my 454 Suburban...got the intake manifold gaskets and header gaskets done, took out the 3rd and 4th row seats. Turns out a 4x6’ stalk mat fits great in the “bed”. Thinking I might screw a 1x along the 6’ sides and the end against the seats and silicone along the bottom for 3 sided “tub”.

I’m thinking the only thing left that I need to do mechanically for awhile is a fuel filter and plugs & wires, then I can start on the cosmetic stuff. I’d like a nice roof basket/rack like a Yakima, a hitch hauler, brush guard and a steel back bumper. And maybe a backup camera since this thing is the size of a small bus.

a985d9f007eb25a0a0e33d0a537603a8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billinsd

WKR
I recently purchased a 3.6r outback. Stock they are .3in lower than a stock tacoma and only 22 less horse than a tacoma. Add the 2in lift ( 10.7 true clearance ) and some meat to the shoes and I can basically get to where I want. Hd springs for heavy haul outs and still getting 28mpg on the highway. Highway travel is 80% of my travel here in MT.

It may not rock crawl or any of that but that's not what I was looking for. If you youtube it these things do some and go through some pretty impressive stuff.

Yea it's not ”manly” but I could careless about that crap. I'm all about efficiency to my wallet.

View attachment 110147

Billinsd

WKR
That's a real nice Subaru. A good motivation for a Subaru over a Tacoma would be much better MPG and maint. costs. What highway mpg would you expect after lifting your Subaru 2 inches and putting some bigger BFG tires on it? Wouldn't the mileage go way down from 28 mpg highway? I thought I read somewhere that guys were getting low 20 MPG after they modified their Subarus for off roading. Wouldn't a 4x4 tacoma with the beefy tires get high teen MPG on the highway? If a Subaru had 10.7 inches of clearance and BFG KO, truck type tires and got 28 mpg and you didn't have to push it up the long grades on the highway, that would be excellent. I really enjoying analyzing stuff like this. Thanks Bill

Last edited:

fmyth

WKR
That's a real nice Subaru. A good motivation for a Subaru over a Tacoma would be much better MPG and maint. costs. What highway mpg would you expect after lifting your Subaru 2 inches and putting some bigger BFG tires on it? Wouldn't the mileage go way down from 28 mpg highway? I thought I read somewhere that guys were getting low 20 MPG after they modified their Subarus for off roading. Wouldn't a 4x4 tacoma with the beefy tires get high teen MPG on the highway? If a Subaru had 10.7 inches of clearance and BFG KO, truck type tires and got 28 mpg and you didn't have to push it up the long grades on the highway, that would be excellent. I really enjoying analyzing stuff like this. Thanks Bill
Check out Fuelly.com for real world MPG's. Most of the people I've talked to that drive a 4x4 Tacoma with a 33" tires are getting 13-15 mpg.

rope

FNG
Back in the day, when I used to day hunt from the house. I used a ‘76 FJ40 with 34” super swampers 12 mpg. I had put a ‘82 i6 from a FJ60 and 5 sp. Had to sell when I transferred, Miss the beast, house fire took the pics.

Hunt off wheelers and side by side now. Just ordered a can am defenender 6x6. Used a Polaris 6x6 ranger last year, to bring home a 55” moose. 12 hour ride back to the trailer and a 3 hour ride home.