Hunting vs hiking boots

bloom1gr

FNG
Hey guys -

What are the primary differences you notice between a pair of hunting boots and a pair of hiking boots? I've been scrolling the threads on here and I'm noticing it's mostly coming down to "how it feels" across the different brands, but haven't really come across anything that distinguishes much between the two styles.My assumption is that hunting boots tend to have a bit sturdier form on the sole and up the ankle. I'm mostly only familiar with the ten pound winter insulated whitetail boots for hunting, and currently have a pair of Vasque hiking boots I really like and hoping they will be sufficient to handle hunting duty too.

Thanks for your help

mlgc20

WKR
Your Vasque's will be more than sufficient. A lot of folks hunt in brands that are hiker focused versus hunting focused. I hunt in Lowa's. I come from a hiking background. I will still hunt in my tennis shoes if the conditions are right. There are fantastic boots that are hunting branded and fantastic boots that are hiking branded. Functionally, I don't think there is much difference. Maybe a camo print.

OP
B

bloom1gr

FNG
I've seen that brand referenced on here a number of times but have no familiarity with it outside of these forums so I'll have to check them out. I honestly didn't know how much more firm the ankle of the boot could get without it starting to dig and be uncomfortable, so that's a relief to hear! I'm very satisfied with these boots so I'll probably run them until they fall apart. Only thing I haven't tested much is sitting in cold temps for long periods but hopefully something that can be remedied by a thicker sock if it's an issue.

mlgc20

WKR
Lowa is a European boot maker very similar to Vasque. You will see some hunting boots that go up the ankle a couple more inches than a typical hiking boot. I've never found those to be particularly comfortable. But, some folks like the extra ankle support.

In the hiking community, boots have gotten lighter and provide less support than they used to. I think that largely mirrors the fact that hiking packs are so much lighter than they used to be. It's pretty common now to hike with a 20 pound pack. You just don't need the support that you needed back when people were carrying 60 pounds packs.

However, if you are a backpacking hunter, you are hoping to be walking out of the woods with a 100 pound pack. So, it's easy to justify wanting more support. Again, I think you can go either way and be fine. Just what works for you.

Poser

WKR
IMO, unless we’re talking about insulated boots for treestands, there is no such thing as a “hunting” boot. The best backcountry hunting boot is a hiking boot.

wildcat33

WKR
IMO, unless we’re talking about insulated boots for treestands, there is no such thing as a “hunting” boot. The best backcountry hunting boot is a hiking boot.

If you replace the word "hiking" with "hunting" in the marketing literature you can charge 200$ more for them! (Add 75$ more if they are "crampon compatible") :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Exactly. Same difference between hunting and hiking clothing. One just comes in camo.

I put hundreds of miles on my Vasques and two elk trips before they wore out. They fit me great and were excellent for hunting. You won't have a problem with them at all.

Poser

WKR
Exactly. Same difference between hunting and hiking clothing. One just comes in camo.

I bet at least once a day, I see this question posed in one of the stupid FB hunting groups I am a member of:

“what’s the best boot for elk hunting in MT that won’t break the bank? Go.”

I always laugh. Is there a boot that’s better for Idaho than MT? No consideration for which boot fits your foot profile the best?

If you have to ask that question, there is a 100% chance that you will end up with the wrong boot for your foot. I suppose this is symptomatic of the hunting industry conditioning hunters to only think in terms of hunting specific gear. Has the person who asks the question ever considered what hunting elk in MT looks like? You’re going to hike. Probably for miles. Every day. Therefore, A good comfortable hiking boot that fits your foot well is the best “elk hunting boot” for MT.

I think a lot of it is marketing and the intended target audience. Many of European boot makers make a big distinction between hiking boots and backpacking boots as in walking on a groomed established trail vs a rough trail/no trail with heavier weight. So things like sole stiffness and ankle support come into play. But any boot that is good for backpacking is going to hold up well for rough Western elk and mule deer hunts. I have never hunted sheep or goats yet but I would feel comfortable bringing sturdy backpacking boots or lighter mountaineering boots depending on the area.

thebest3

Lil-Rokslider
in my personal experience. my boot must have a full rubber ram . Im pretty tough on my boot. most place i hunt is trail less.

Rock-o

WKR
My hunting boots have a solid brown camo pattern.

Seriously though, try your Vasque boots. If they work, great, if not you know you need something different and will have at least a basic idea of what you liked about your Vasques and what you didn't.

LaHunter

WKR
Hey guys -

What are the primary differences you notice between a pair of hunting boots and a pair of hiking boots? I've been scrolling the threads on here and I'm noticing it's mostly coming down to "how it feels" across the different brands, but haven't really come across anything that distinguishes much between the two styles.My assumption is that hunting boots tend to have a bit sturdier form on the sole and up the ankle. I'm mostly only familiar with the ten pound winter insulated whitetail boots for hunting, and currently have a pair of Vasque hiking boots I really like and hoping they will be sufficient to handle hunting duty too.

Thanks for your help

some boot manufactures differentiate between hiking boots and backpacking boots. Boots that are listed as ‘hiking boots’ tend to have a little more flex in the sole, are lighter in wt, and may not be as robust in the upper construction. Backpacking boots typically have a stiffer sole and the uppers are made tougher so the boot can provide more support while you are carrying wt in your pack. People use both for hunting based on their own personal preference

Last edited:
Hiking boots are comfy but I stopped wearing them for my hunts. Every pair that I tried were one-time use boots. Cactus spines went right through the soles and broke off resulting in getting poked with each step.

For where I primarily hunt, I'll stick with my Kenetreks. If I ever primarily hunt in a cactus-free area, I'd have no qualms using hiking boots.

OP
B

bloom1gr

FNG
I put hundreds of miles on my Vasques and two elk trips before they wore out. They fit me great and were excellent for hunting. You won't have a problem with them at all.
Are you still in Vasque's or what have you switched to? I've only had mine since this past fall so I expect to get a lot more out of them.

OP
B

bloom1gr

FNG
I bet at least once a day, I see this question posed in one of the stupid FB hunting groups I am a member of:

“what’s the best boot for elk hunting in MT that won’t break the bank? Go.”

I always laugh. Is there a boot that’s better for Idaho than MT? No consideration for which boot fits your foot profile the best?

If you have to ask that question, there is a 100% chance that you will end up with the wrong boot for your foot. I suppose this is symptomatic of the hunting industry conditioning hunters to only think in terms of hunting specific gear. Has the person who asks the question ever considered what hunting elk in MT looks like? You’re going to hike. Probably for miles. Every day. Therefore, A good comfortable hiking boot that fits your foot well is the best “elk hunting boot” for MT.
Right, and from the number of threads I've picked through on here I see a lot of the same. I'm new to this game so I'm not married to any brands, but I'm definitely noticing the popular brands most people are speaking about. I've trounced around with a 40# pack in the Vasques so far, and on well-worn trails I didn't notice any issue in stability or comfort. I don't care to spend $300 on a pair of boots that will hardly offer a difference after miles of breaking in, but wondered if I might be missing a point that begs the consideration of another sturdier or warmer or more comfortable boot. I appreciate the input though. Have been asking a number of questions on here that are at least semi-elementary I'm sure, covid shut-down and boredom are getting the best of me :geek:

Are you still in Vasque's or what have you switched to? I've only had mine since this past fall so I expect to get a lot more out of them.
Switched to Solomons, little cheaper and $ was short. No complaints with my Vasques. They aren’t the sturdiest boots and not a lot of people on here use them. However they fit me well and I already had them for hiking. If you like yours and have been packing training with them you should be alright.

I put a ton of miles on my Vasques, between hunting/training/hiking and I worked as a biology technician a few years back in the woods...

Last edited:

Fisherhahn

Lil-Rokslider
I think it comes down to the type of hunting you’ll be doing and the temps you’ll be hunting in. I have light snake boots for early archery deer hunts in tree stands, tall rubber muck boots for rainy wet deer hunts and cooler sits, heavy insulated pack boots for sitting/stalking in a foot of snow, lightly insulated boots for walking up some small game, a pair Solomon and a pair of Asolo backpacking boots for Sept mountain hunting. Walking in with light or no pack=hiking boots.
Carrying weight coming out heavy if successful=backpacking boots.

wildcat33

WKR
If you hike/hunt with what you already have, soon enough you'll learn what you want/need. Then you won't be subject to a zillion irrelevant opinions. I'd say that applies to all gear. When I started out in scouting as a youngster we went on all kind of trips with whatever we had. Im pretty sure I wore "womens" boots until I was 16 or so, cuz that's what I had.

On mtn missions in college and beyond, we prided ourselves in going higher, faster, longer without the showy gear that the mags said "must have gear of 19XX!". That meant we had more money for gas, beer, and more adventure (and because we didn't have to work as hard to earn as much to buy more expensive shit). Still applies now. Though a little extra spent in the right places can result in a lot more comfort.

OP
B

bloom1gr

FNG
I think it comes down to the type of hunting you’ll be doing and the temps you’ll be hunting in. I have light snake boots for early archery deer hunts in tree stands, tall rubber muck boots for rainy wet deer hunts and cooler sits, heavy insulated pack boots for sitting/stalking in a foot of snow, lightly insulated boots for walking up some small game, a pair Solomon and a pair of Asolo backpacking boots for Sept mountain hunting. Walking in with light or no pack=hiking boots.
Carrying weight coming out heavy if successful=backpacking boots.
Can you elaborate on pack boots or at least let me know if I'm understanding correctly ....

They're boots with liners ... yet you can alternate the liners to accomodate different temps? or what am I missing...