Hunting Vs "Shooting"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ttucci16

Lil-Rokslider
With everyone and their mother having access to youtube, a gopro, and guns, it seems like i'm seeing more and more videos of people blurring the line between "Long range shooting" and "hunting". In my humble opinion, hunting turns into "shooting" after 350 yards. If you can't get to within 350 yards of the animal you are pursuing, then hot damn you're either hunting some insane country, or you're lazy. Not saying this is a one size fits all statement, but as a hunter, there is nothing that boils my blood more than someone lobbing a bullet 800 plus yards on a trophy animal. I think this style of hunting is an embarrasement and I personally think it's completely unethical. I do believe that people are capable of making those long shots very consistently, but there is zero hunting involved with a shot from that range. It's more of a hide and seek game from the comfort of your perch. Maybe we need to start a new trend of mountain hunting with 30-30's. Should there be a reckoning within the hunting community to stop this sillyness and get back to the basics of hunting an animal in their living room and not from the next county over?

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
With everyone and their mother having access to youtube, a gopro, and guns, it seems like i'm seeing more and more videos of people blurring the line between "Long range shooting" and "hunting". In my humble opinion, hunting turns into "shooting" after 350 yards. If you can't get to within 350 yards of the animal you are pursuing, then hot damn you're either hunting some insane country, or you're lazy. Not saying this is a one size fits all statement, but as a hunter, there is nothing that boils my blood more than someone lobbing a bullet 800 plus yards on a trophy animal. I think this style of hunting is an embarrasement and I personally think it's completely unethical. I do believe that people are capable of making those long shots very consistently, but there is zero hunting involved with a shot from that range. It's more of a hide and seek game from the comfort of your perch. Maybe we need to start a new trend of mountain hunting with 30-30's. Should there be a reckoning within the hunting community to stop this sillyness and get back to the basics of hunting an animal in their living room and not from the next county over?

Please. Tell us some more. What else do you think as silly? Would love to hear more of your opinions @@@

Just in case..... I'm hoisting the sarcasm fly pretty damn high.

OP
T

ttucci16

Lil-Rokslider
Please. Tell us some more. What else do you think as silly? Would love to hear more of your opinions @@@

Just in case..... I'm hoisting the sarcasm fly pretty damn high.
I think the best example of something silly would be people believeing that the McRib is actually made of rib meat. LMAO

Last edited:
Is this for real?

Op where do you hunt?

I guess I'll just settle for being called lazy.

And gopros hardly work at 40 yards, let alone 400.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Is this for real?

Op where do you hunt?

I guess I'll just settle for being called lazy.

And gopros hardly work at 40 yards, let alone 400.

Golly man cant you read he clearly said in his living room. Come on. @@@
Could be his moms basement too

Turdle

FNG
600-800 yd shots. If your wearing hunting camo, and useing a hunting rifle & scope. Yeppers thats hunting.
No black rifles..... lol

OP
T

ttucci16

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't been there, but do you not shoot across a drainage?
Ive honestly never needed to shoot across a drainage. Not saying i wouldn't, but im usually not hunting monster drainages. Big drainages in Washington would be full of orange to be honest unless you're waaaaaaaay back in there.

S.Clancy

WKR
I don't know about the 350 yard comment, but I feel like the long range thing could at some point affect tag allocations in the negative. Time will tell.

OP
T

ttucci16

Lil-Rokslider
Well, I'm not a Rokslide moderator but as soon as Ryan or Robby sees this, it will get locked. I don't know how many times Ryan has to say it but Rokslide does not discuss the ethics of long range hunting.

Randy
I wasnt aware of that at all. That's a shame that a civil discussion can't happen. I honestly just want to know peoples thoughts without everyone getting all tribal. Hopefully everyone stays civil.

Status
Not open for further replies.