Hunting Vs "Shooting"

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
This subject has been beaten to absolute death. I agree about being civil but it never turns out that way reference this debate. Everyone has their own opinions and thoughts about it as do I but i believe that Rokslide has taken a firm stance on the subject.

Randy

My opinion is that it's easy to look at it from the outside and think it's simple. Once you start to do it a little you realize the challenges, but it's easy to throw stones from the otherside.

Throwing stones never helps.

And I have never hunted west of the Mississippi with a bow, don't consider myself a long range shooter at all.

OP
T

ttucci16

Lil-Rokslider
This subject has been beaten to absolute death. I agree about being civil but it never turns out that way reference. this debate. Everyone has their own opinions and thoughts about it as do I but i believe that Rokslide has taken a firm stance on the subject.

Randy
I dont doubt that it's been beaten to death. Just think it's an honest discussion that needs to be had within the hunting community. Im not saying it's wrong, but i do think there are some inherent issues within the realm of the subject. I

OP
T

ttucci16

Lil-Rokslider
My opinion is that it's easy to look at it from the outside and think it's simple. Once you start to do it a little you realize the challenges, but it's easy to throw stones from the otherside.

Throwing stones never helps.

And I have never hunted west of the Mississippi with a bow, don't consider myself a long range shooter at all.
No stones to cast. If it comes off that way, than my bad. For me it's more of a fair chase question...does the animal have a chance of getting away by winding you, seeing you, or is his only chance someone misjudging the wing drift..know what im saying???

Brendan

WKR
I disagree. Only because i want to know more opinions than the long range shooting crowd. I think it's a great general discussion topic with a broad range of views.
I'll give you an opinion.

"Hunters" who decide they want to have "civil discussion" by ripping on other legal hunters and imposing their own personal ethics on others need to stop being one of the biggest problems we have. And that's coming from someone who's never shot anything at long range. Oh wait, I guess because I didn't close those extra 20 yards on the antelope I shot at 370 with open sage brush 12" tall from me to him, then I'm a douche...

And by the way, one of the owners of this site (who provide it for our benefit) is an avid long range hunter, as well as a bunch of kills with a stick bow.

...........Maybe we need to start a new trend of mountain hunting with 30-30's. Should there be a reckoning within the hunting community to stop this sillyness and get back to the basics of hunting an animal in their living room and not from the next county over?
1. I'd love to see some pics of animals you killed in the mountains with a 30-30. Seriously, no joke.

2. No. Too many people riding thoroughbreds already. Allthough I used to love Duckhunter on Nintendo when I was a kid. Killed 1000's of Ducks in my living room.

whaack

WKR
With everyone and their mother having access to youtube, a gopro, and guns, it seems like i'm seeing more and more videos of people blurring the line between "Long range shooting" and "hunting". In my humble opinion, hunting turns into "shooting" after 350 yards. If you can't get to within 350 yards of the animal you are pursuing, then hot damn you're either hunting some insane country, or you're lazy. Not saying this is a one size fits all statement, but as a hunter, there is nothing that boils my blood more than someone lobbing a bullet 800 plus yards on a trophy animal. I think this style of hunting is an embarrasement and I personally think it's completely unethical. I do believe that people are capable of making those long shots very consistently, but there is zero hunting involved with a shot from that range. It's more of a hide and seek game from the comfort of your perch. Maybe we need to start a new trend of mountain hunting with 30-30's. Should there be a reckoning within the hunting community to stop this sillyness and get back to the basics of hunting an animal in their living room and not from the next county over?

I agree 100% with you 0P. There is nothing about hunting when you’re killing animals at these super long ranges. Does it require skill? Absolutely in terms of mastering a firearm. But it does not require any hunting skill period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree 100% with you 0P. There is nothing about hunting when you’re killing animals at these super long ranges. Does it require skill? Absolutely in terms of mastering a firearm. But it does not require any hunting skill period.

Where's the line when archery hunting ends and shooting begins?

Asking for a friend

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
When Elknut is calling for you. At that point, it's just shooting.

Jeremy
Maybe this a great time to start discussing the ethics of hunting an animal more focused on reproduction than it's own survival?

So many lines where does it all stop?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

GotDraw?

WKR
It's hunting until the shot distance is so great that an animal can't use its natural defenses to locate and get away from the hunter. After that, it's simply shooting.

Presuming the shooter is skilled, it's ethical shooting up until bullet (or arrow) flight time is so long that a standing animal could easily move sufficiently to blow the shot.

That's my 2 cents.

JL

Wapiti1

WKR

So learning the unit, finding the animals, patterning them, and setting up an effective ambush isn't hunting?

Whether its 100 yards or 1000 that is one tried and true method of hunting. Pretty sure you still have to play the wind, get up early, stay out late, hike a lot, and freeze your ass off in some cases.

It's not tracking in the snow, calling them in, hanging from a tree, etc. Those are all other techniques that work and are shorter range endeavors.

Jeremy

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll help everyone out and post the definition of ethics.
8bc21620d7e4d43d338b6bd8f06063a6.jpg

Yep ethics by definition are personal.

EastMT

WKR
It doesn’t bother me if someone is shooting long range and GOOD at it.

It’s not for me, for me the stalk is the ENTIRE fun part. As a meat inspector I’ve seen literally hundred of thousands of animals die, the shooting part just doesn’t get me excited.

I want to sneak, maybe I win, maybe I lose but that’s the fun for me.

OP
T

ttucci16

Lil-Rokslider
@ttucci16 that's one hell of an option you got that you can define where hunting ends and shooting begins.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Not trying to define it at all. In my opinion 350 is where i judge it.
I'll give you an opinion.

"Hunters" who decide they want to have "civil discussion" by ripping on other legal hunters and imposing their own personal ethics on others need to stop being one of the biggest problems we have. And that's coming from someone who's never shot anything at long range. Oh wait, I guess because I didn't close those extra 20 yards on the antelope I shot at 370 with open sage brush 12" tall from me to him, then I'm a douche...

And by the way, one of the owners of this site (who provide it for our benefit) is an avid long range hunter, as well as a bunch of kills with a stick bow.
Man you got worked up super fast. No one is calling you a douche or attacking you. Great, one of the owners of the site is a long range hunter....it's still a valid question. I hope whoever it is will chime in with his honest opinion....ill gladly have that conversation and have an open mind the whole time. Again this isn't about being tribal but about having an honest discussion.

Bighorner

WKR
I personally like to just use the patio table and lead sled, from my deck, on the ranch. With or without slippers. Who are you to judge?

Status
Not open for further replies.