Hunting when it doesn’t get dark

mobilefamily

Lil-Rokslider
I did an 8/10-19/20 sheep hunt in the Brooks. One thing that bothered me more than expected was the endless days. It never got black dark. That was a new experience for me so I thought I’d share it for others with similar plans.

The main problem extended light created was that we had to make a conscious decision to quit each day. I hated that.

I’ve been doing “type 2 fun” stuff regularly for 30+ years. As the youngest of three brothers, I’m used to enduring the suck and getting my ass kicked by weather, physical exhaustion, and the emotional roller coasters of outdoor experiences that don’t come with a guarantee. I love that shit. But I’m used to there being a finish line.

Those days in the mountains never really had a finish line. There was a big difference to me in losing light and having to go back to camp versus managing physical capabilities and turning for home based on what a clock said, knowing I had to leave some gas in the tank for the next day. We did 12-14 hours most days. Some were abbreviated or delayed start due to heavy rain or fog that made it impossible to see where sheep might have been.

I have no regrets about my training for the hunt. I did all I could do while running a business, staying married, and staying connected to our teenage daughter. As has been said ad infinitum: you cannot get in good enough shape. In the end, my legs carried me 98 miles without a shot opportunity. I wasn’t the fastest guy to ever walk the country, but I gave it hell.

An older, wiser man once pointed out to me that if I was succeeding at everything I tried, I wasn’t pushing myself outside of my comfort zone. It has been good advice. I’m willing to fail. The thing about this hunt was that I didn’t enjoy it as much as I expected. That is shocking to me, even 6 months later. I’m a nut for Alaska backcountry hunting, with a moose trip planned for this fall. Just not sure I’ll go sheep hunting again...and I kind of feel guilty that I don’t want it more. But I do hate to leave things unfinished...so maybe someday.

An after-lunch nap is mandatory for me to get the most enjoyment out of a summer hunt...unless in the middle of a stalk. I also hunt a heck of a lot better when I am fresh from the nap. Try it, might work for you!

Naps are definitely a requirement. Yes, the early August days can definitely be long. Generally, the sheep and their habits are what dictates the hours I hunt. Morning, afternoon, and evening feed times are often pretty consistent which can be used to "pattern" the sheep.

FlyGuy

WKR
I’m curious, why do you think it wasn’t as enjoyable as you’d hoped? Just not your style of hunting?

You can’t cheat the mountain

FLAK

WKR
Spent a week in Juneau once, I remember looking out the hotel
window thinking WTH is everybody at???? Oh, it's 11pm.
Kind of weird, that and the earthquakes.

tdot

WKR
I'll take the looooonnnngggg days over short days anytime. But it is definitely something to get used to. Operating on a clock and having something covering my eyes in the tent makes it more bearable.

I spent a year close to the equator and could just not get into the thought of it being summer cuz the days were still short.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Spent a week in Juneau once, I remember looking out the hotel
window thinking WTH is everybody at???? Oh, it's 11pm.
Kind of weird, that and the earthquakes.

Its hard to stay on schedule here sometimes, I know theres times in the spring where I'll be up and doing stuff at 10:30ish and not realize how late it is. Heck, last night I jumped in my truck to run to the store, I didnt realize it was 8:30 already. Getting out of bed in the winter can be tough when its pitch black out for another 5 hours.

OP
M

mobilefamily

Lil-Rokslider
I’m curious, why do you think it wasn’t as enjoyable as you’d hoped? Just not your style of hunting?

You can’t cheat the mountain

I didn't like "having" to stop at the end of the day versus having the day end on me.

Also, I felt like we were just wandering around the mountains with a gun. There didn't seem to be a pattern to the sheep, or the effort.

I didn't like "having" to stop at the end of the day versus having the day end on me.

Also, I felt like we were just wandering around the mountains with a gun. There didn't seem to be a pattern to the sheep, or the effort.

Who did you hunt with?

FLAK

WKR
I did an 8/10-19/20 sheep hunt in the Brooks. One thing that bothered me more than expected was the endless days. It never got black dark. That was a new experience for me so I thought I’d share it for others with similar plans.

The main problem extended light created was that we had to make a conscious decision to quit each day. I hated that.

I’ve been doing “type 2 fun” stuff regularly for 30+ years. As the youngest of three brothers, I’m used to enduring the suck and getting my ass kicked by weather, physical exhaustion, and the emotional roller coasters of outdoor experiences that don’t come with a guarantee. I love that shit. But I’m used to there being a finish line.

Those days in the mountains never really had a finish line. There was a big difference to me in losing light and having to go back to camp versus managing physical capabilities and turning for home based on what a clock said, knowing I had to leave some gas in the tank for the next day. We did 12-14 hours most days. Some were abbreviated or delayed start due to heavy rain or fog that made it impossible to see where sheep might have been.

I have no regrets about my training for the hunt. I did all I could do while running a business, staying married, and staying connected to our teenage daughter. As has been said ad infinitum: you cannot get in good enough shape. In the end, my legs carried me 98 miles without a shot opportunity. I wasn’t the fastest guy to ever walk the country, but I gave it hell.

An older, wiser man once pointed out to me that if I was succeeding at everything I tried, I wasn’t pushing myself outside of my comfort zone. It has been good advice. I’m willing to fail. The thing about this hunt was that I didn’t enjoy it as much as I expected. That is shocking to me, even 6 months later. I’m a nut for Alaska backcountry hunting, with a moose trip planned for this fall. Just not sure I’ll go sheep hunting again...and I kind of feel guilty that I don’t want it more. But I do hate to leave things unfinished...so maybe someday.

I feel much the same way about an unsuccessful Brown Bear hunt I did in 2011.

NUGGET

WKR
this sounds like post unsuccessful hunt depression. Time will heal it. Good luck on your moose hunt this fall.

Jimss

WKR
I enjoy every second of every sheep and mtn goat hunt I've had irregardless of day length! I take full advantage of sleep when I can but also take full advantage of long days of hunting. I have no problem sleeping even if it's light out after a long day. The trick is having a comfy sleeping bag/pad and clothes to wear to bed.

As many guys know sheep and mtn goat hunting can be a waiting game. Waiting for rams/goats to appear while glassing or to venture to a spot where they can be stalked. There have been many times rams and billies bedded in areas that are nearly impossible to stalk. Those are great times to take a nap. Possibly alternate naps with a buddy so the critters don't disappear or spot critters that suddenly appear.

When done with my hunting trips I also take full advantage of my time in Alaska salmon fishing. I find myself fishing from daylight to dusk and taking a short nap in the middle of the day. Sometimes early and late in the day are the best times to fish when silvers are more active.

Anyone that doesn't enjoy trips to Alaska because of long days is a little nuts if you ask me! Sheep and mtn goats are the ultimate and my favorite critters to hunt! Every sheep and goat hunt I've been on only lasted less than a week. If you think about it, that's not a whole lot of time. There is plenty of time when not hunting or fishing to rest up!