Hunting with a Backstrap?

Duh

WKR
I recently picked up a nock on Backstrap release and don’t hate it.

I currently shoot a Carter Wise Choice thumb release and really like it. I still plan on hunting with the Carter but this Backstrap has grown on me.

It seems like the biggest complaint is the inconsistent tension but I haven’t had that experience yet.

Has anyone hunted with the Nock on Backstrap? Any major issues?

Zac

WKR
Yep shot a mule deer in the throat at 105 with one. I just wanted to see what the sight picture looked like. Not really sure if I intended to ever shoot that shot or not 🤷.

OP
Duh

Duh

WKR
Yep shot a mule deer in the throat at 105 with one. I just wanted to see what the sight picture looked like. Not really sure if I intended to ever shoot that shot or not 🤷.
Nice, you recover him at least? Maybe you just subconsciously heard Dudley whispering in your ear to execute the shot haha.

Zac

WKR
Nice, you recover him at least? Maybe you just subconsciously heard Dudley whispering in your ear to execute the shot haha.
ha ha, yeah it was a doe, worked out really well actually. She ran straight at me and piled up right in front of me. Sevr went through one of the carotid's. Pin broke on the front shoulder but she was a steep shot so I probably needed to cut a few more yards than I did. Anyway I don't think I'll hunt with it again.

OP
Duh

Duh

WKR
I was thinking it would be a little more beneficial for me in the colder months with gloves on. I always freeze my hand late season on stalks and won’t shoot with gloves on for the thumb release.

Zac

WKR
I was thinking it would be a little more beneficial for me in the colder months with gloves on. I always freeze my hand late season on stalks and won’t shoot with gloves on for the thumb release.
The problem is that you always end up pulling harder when you're adrenaline is going. Especially when your fresh. I tried the same thing when I first started hunting, and the release would always break whenever I let off the safety. If your a super calm customer then you will probably be fine.

Reactions: Duh
I’ve been hunting with a resistance release for a few years now. It’s tough to get used to but works great when you dial it in and the adrenaline is flowing. At first you’ll find it goes off wayyy too easy. Mine that I hunt with I bump up the tension to compensate (learned the hard way on this) and the biggest thing to remember is to not take your finger off the safety until your pin is where it needs to be when it goes off because it will go off prematurely. Also, practice shooting it when your form is out of sorts. It has a huge impact on how it goes off. Shooting sitting down is super difficult and shooting out of a tree usually makes it release sooner than usual. A lot to figure out but if you can dial it in you’ll rule out snatching and some of the target panic issues that might be present.