Hunting with a Bum Knee & overweight

Blackstorm

Lil-Rokslider
I had a replacement knee done two years ago on my right knee and the pain the knee had is gone, however I lost a lot of flexibility. I got up to 120 degree on my right but almost 140 degrees on my left which wasn't replaced. The knee works at slow speed walks very well and I hunt very well at my SoDak camp for pheasant and ducks walking many miles each day no problem. I booked a guided hunt on private and public grounds and they claim the elevation is only 6500 ( way higher than the east coast) an varies by 500' or so. I wont need a large pack and rifle would be all that I carry in. The ranch owner says they will either pack horse us in on BLM land or trucks on the private land with a short walk each morning to that days hunting area. I am overweight by 40 lbs and i'm working on getting that off by this fall, My question is what should I be focused on?
I currently walk my property every day for 45 min - 1hr two to three times a day working out my hunting dogs, but figure a gym is in my future.
Thanks

chindits

WKR
Body weight is irrelevant if you are happy with your abilities. You don’t need to walk fast to hunt out west but you do need to be able to walk all slope aspects. Up, down and side slopes.

Since you won’t be packing out or even breaking the critter down, I wouldn’t worry about it if I were you. Your outfitter has probably catered to al types and has a few easy ambush spots Keep walking on uneven ground with all slope aspects carrying your rain gear/cold gear , food and water. Don’t be afraid to use trekking poles and learn how to use them quietly in rocky terrain.

Most local hunters never see a gym but they see plenty of elk and deer year round because they are in the field. If you want to do a gym workout for a successful hunt then you just want to do a gym workout.

I agree with what's been said about diet, cutting weight will just help you enjoy it more, and any improvement in fitness would probably help. However, I would spend some time rehabbing your knee, look up mobility WOD on youtube there is a ton of easy, free things that can really help. It won't necessarily help your hunt, but the added confidence will.

feanor

WKR
All of the above it great to sustain. I have a knee that gives me problems too. Its hard to predict when its going to flare up and make a mess of things. Last season I packed out 80 and 100 lbs of elk with treking poles to support me. I taped my knee with Rocktape and never had an issue. It stabilized my knee so well. Really surprised me to be honest. Highly recommend experimenting with tape to see if it would help (not as a replacement to rehab or workouts though). Good luck!

slatebuilder

Lil-Rokslider
I lost 120 pounds 3 years ago. I walked it off combined with cutting out soda, sweat tea, lemonade, and other juices. Haven’t had anything to drink other than water, black coffee, whole milk, or a very occasional beer in over three years. Find what works for you to loose the weight.

Catahoula

WKR
I’ve lost 17lbs since late February. I have a goal to try an lose 50 by August. I’ve just cut out lots of carbs...not altogether....I focus on protein and some fats. Plus, have been getting on my bike more lately. Blackstorm..... where in central NY do you live ???

OXN939

WKR
Haven’t had anything to drink other than water, black coffee, whole milk, or a very occasional beer in over three years.

This is huge. Sodas, even of the diet variety, are truly terrible for you.

Also, I'd recommend some kind of routine other than walking, as it's more of a warmup than a workout. To lose wight, you really need to stimulate your metabolism, which can be very easily done by moderately rigorous exercise. Erg machine (rowing) or elliptical are both extremely low impact, and the lowest of the low impact exercises is swimming.

AZsniper

WKR
I agree with Zap. You cannot outwork a bad diet. As your knee feels better I would add a pack with a little weight at first and then slowly add to it when you walk. Even if you dont carry a pack it will help you train for the standing and walking.

OP
B

Blackstorm

Lil-Rokslider
I live near Cato NY outside Syracuse, I have started my workout routine by cutting firewood for next year have already done 6-7 cord with another 10 on the ground
I’ve lost 17lbs since late February. I have a goal to try an lose 50 by August. I’ve just cut out lots of carbs...not altogether....I focus on protein and some fats. Plus, have been getting on my bike more lately. Blackstorm..... where in central NY do you live ???