Hunting with a hinge

Elk365

FNG
Anyone hunting with a hinge? I typically shot during the off season with a hinge to train against target panic and I’m thinking of just staying with it for the season. I’m nervous about it for some reason. Curious to hear from others who have been down this road.

If you can use it properly, shouldn't be a problem.

I wouldn't want the extra headache of getting it set and hooked, but that can be a factor of the release.

Make sure angles don't put you in the position of where you can't get it to go off, but that's a function of not having everything together right.

We’ll I tried it shot one for a whole year before going elk hunting with it ended up killing the elk and never tried it again lol I felt totally confident up to the season didn’t think it would be that big of a deal but boy was I wrong the way it all went down I just didn’t like it my brain was thinking the whole time I wish you had your index finger release dummy lol but to each there own I just wasn’t a fan. That’s my story

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to try it this year. Been shooting a b3 infinity for a couple off seasons now and just bought a Scott longhorn hunter from a buddy to try for the season. We'll see how it goes. I tried switching from the index to the thumb release last season and that lasted all of 2 days until I took my first shot at a deer with it. I just can't handle having a trigger when an animal is in front of me and NOT punch the ever loving shit out of it. Here's hoping the hinge helps.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

netman

WKR
I hunt WT with a hinge but just never wanted to for elk. I think how many times I get ready to shoot in September at oncoming elk and have the bow up ready to draw or at full draw and not have a good shot only to let down or lower the bow.
I’ll stick with the caliper release. Now sitting on a water hole or wallow might be hinge situation.

Marble

WKR
I just switch to a thumb when I hunt.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Gumbo

WKR
I switched to a hinge last season and it worked great, I shot a great velvet muley and a mountain goat with it. Keeps my mind on the shot, and takes my jumpy thumb completely out of the equation.

I switched to a hinge last season and it worked great, I shot a great velvet muley and a mountain goat with it. Keeps my mind on the shot, and takes my jumpy thumb completely out of the equation.
Do you use a hinge with a click or no click?

I have 2 hinges that I bought to help with TP. One is set 'light' w/ little movement required to fire, and the other is set heavy with a lot of movement. Both of them click, but it can be set to not click if desired.

Just curious what others use.

Marble

WKR
I used to shoot with the click. Figured out it ended up delaying my shot process. Got rid of it and slowed it down. It improved everything.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I've hunted with a hinge with a click exclusively the last 4-5 years. Whitetails, elk, and everything else. I have yet to miss an opportunity because i was using back tension. When its all you shoot, the process is second nature.

Gumbo

WKR
Do you use a hinge with a click or no click?

I have 2 hinges that I bought to help with TP. One is set 'light' w/ little movement required to fire, and the other is set heavy with a lot of movement. Both of them click, but it can be set to not click if desired.

Just curious what others use.

No click for me...it makes me anxious. I have three of the same release (HBC) and they are all set about the same. I save one for hunting and then use the others for practice. I tweak the speed a little here and there, but in general they are all set about the same, that way I can get used to how my form feels since I don't have a click for reference. I thought I'd set them different when I bought them, but it just seemed to mess me up more than anything.

Thanks for the info. I’m a little jumpy with the click as well.

Time for the click to disappear for a while and see how it goes.

I have hunted with a hinge with a click for the last 5 years. I have shot several deer, turkeys, and a large black bear all while using it. It is the only kind of release that I am confident in using with my bow due to some target panic issues. I have tried multiple hinges, the Stan Blackjack is my favorite.

Keep your finger straight and off the trigger until the sight is on target…will draw and hold in a lot of non optimum situations while elk hunting, sometimes quickly. I like having my release attached to me. Repetition builds reliability, ultimately do what works for you and what you practice most with.

Foxsoup

FNG
I found, knowing a hinge required more effort helped a lot with making my shots at deer. It calmed my nerves and kept me focused on my shot process.