Hunting with a outfitter.

First I’m very hesitant to write this as I don’t want people to think I’m wanting the easy way out. id really like to have the opportunity at a good mule deer. After researching and looking at states like Idaho Wyoming Arizona and Colorado. The same theme comes up. A lot of days in the field and a lot of time behind the glass. Im not seeing a lot of guys from other states driving in hunting 5 days and having the opportunity at a mature deer. Guys from out west could come to my home hunt whitetails for 5 days and may not see a deer. I hunt about 40 days a year at home to have 1 or two opportunities. So for the first time in my life I’m looking at hiring a outfitter. I understand with a Outfitter there is no guarantee and cost is a lot more however I feel my odds or even greater. So if paying a outfitter for the first time what are Things to look for.
also what regions do I look at?

Matt79

Lil-Rokslider
I just got back from Colorado hunting mule deer with an outfitter. Had a great trip and shot a very nice buck, seen 3 bigger than I killed. We hunted mostly public grounds but they knew where to find the deer and not many ppl. PM me if want more info

davsco

WKR
First I’m very hesitant to write this as I don’t want people to think I’m wanting the easy way out. id really like to have the opportunity at a good mule deer.
i'll tell you what, after scouting and hunting hard my first two rifle elk hunts the last two years and only seeing two elk the first year and none last year, this year i did a private land hunt. It's still hard, driving 3 days out and back, getting up super early and back late every day, out in the extreme cold all day (every year i've been lucky enough to experience record colds...) less hiking but still a mile in and out every day. and i saw literally hundreds of elk and tagged out on a bull and a cow the third day. like you said, it's just hard knowing where to hunt from 1000s of miles away. and even with e-scouting, some fences popped up that i wasn't aware of, so those plans are scrapped. and then when i found what i thought was a decent hunt spot, when i got up there at o dark thirty first morning of the season, i found out that was in the middle of a horse outfitter operation... it's hard. i still want to get one DIY but it was nice to have it a little easier this season.

amassi

WKR
First I’m very hesitant to write this as I don’t want people to think I’m wanting the easy way out. id really like to have the opportunity at a good mule deer. After researching and looking at states like Idaho Wyoming Arizona and Colorado. The same theme comes up. A lot of days in the field and a lot of time behind the glass. Im not seeing a lot of guys from other states driving in hunting 5 days and having the opportunity at a mature deer. Guys from out west could come to my home hunt whitetails for 5 days and may not see a deer. I hunt about 40 days a year at home to have 1 or two opportunities. So for the first time in my life I’m looking at hiring a outfitter. I understand with a Outfitter there is no guarantee and cost is a lot more however I feel my odds or even greater. So if paying a outfitter for the first time what are Things to look for.
Cost per inch is probably cheaper hunting with outfitters than drawing tags on preference points. I'd look for someone with landowner tags or 0 point draw.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
Check that reference out.

Call and talk with them, see how you feel after a chat. Private would be best I think.

Look at the success pictures, success rates, and call references. Specifically ask for someone from this/last year who didn't kill.

Then after you do all your homework with a couple outfitters, talk it over in depth w one or two folks and see what sticks out as the best.

Then start shooting. You want that shot to count.

Have a great trip. And don't worry about what folks might think, it's your hunt - do what you want so you enjoy it. If you're gonna do it once, do it right by you.

jblam

Lil-Rokslider
Book the guide, shoot an awesome deer, save yourself a week of wandering alone in the forest / desert. Your time is valuable.
Come to Nevada, there is a non-resident guided mule deer hunt where the (draw) odds are SIGNIFICANTLY better than unguided hunts in units that produce decent bucks!

Jgill19

Lil-Rokslider
Book the guide, shoot an awesome deer, save yourself a week of wandering alone in the forest / desert. Your time is valuable.

Got kick your feet up on a deck you built, vs one you hired out. You can hire a guide, sure. You'll never get out of guided hunt what you can get out of a DIY, regardless of the caliber of deer taken. Just offering another perspective, and to each their own.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
“Then start shooting...”

CANT stress that statement enough. Outfitters and myself are so tired of guys coming out west thinking their 10 shots a year from a bench rest is enough to take shots beyond 300 yards. Wounded animals and/or 7 plus shots later and no hits gets really frustrating.

OP
S
I agree with that statement whole heartly. I shoot alot. As in once a week most of the time. Shooting from 100-525 yds.
it amazes me how many guys come and sote there rifle in and make sure its on zero and load it up.

I just got back from Colorado hunting mule deer with an outfitter. Had a great trip and shot a very nice buck, seen 3 bigger than I killed. We hunted mostly public grounds but they knew where to find the deer and not many ppl. PM me if want more info
Hey Matt. What part of Michigan are you from? I live west of Grand Rapids.

Please PM me the info on Colorado Outfitter. I plan to burn my Mule Deer points there in the next year or two and could use the insight.

Thank you

I would PM you but I am not off my "Newbie Probation" yet

Emscott

FNG

Please PM me the info on Colorado Outfitter. I plan to burn my Mule Deer points there in the next year or two and could use the insight.

Thank you

Thank you

Another option you may want to consider is paying for a DIY unguided hunt on private land. That worked great for me this year. I paid a outfit just to hunt their land and stay at their lodge. No guide. Killed a mule deer with my bow on the third day. I live in North Carolina and it was the first time I had been west of the Mississippi river.