Hunting with expensive rifles

tdot

WKR
Everyone has a different threshold for "expensive". One guy can schlep a $20,000 rifle around, but he may also have $20,000 cash in his wallet at any one time.

Another guy may have to borrow money to buy a tikka... the tikka is probably the more expensive rifle.

I babied my Montana when I first got it. Now it's well used and abused and shoots better (after alot of work) then day 1. I use a cover to protect the glass and that's it. Clean, oil and maintain it when it's back in the gun room.

I'm in the process of building a custom lightweight switch barrel rifle. It was a present for taking a bunch of time off work and taking care of my two infants sons. Its probably the most expensive item I own now and it will be hunted with! Same level of protection, something for the glass, and that's it.

bruceride

FNG
I always thought there was a difference between "used" and "abused." An expensive rifle / motorcycle / car or whatever was made to be used, but never abused.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
I used this scope cover, and electrical tape on the muzzle, but other than that, fell down many times on rocks, woke up every morning with snow packed all in the action, etc....there are surprisingly no scuffs on it, but there sure are alot of memories (Cooper M52)
2017091102e99d7a3972301e812de20b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

eoperator

WKR
I have about $4500 into the rifle my wife used in Wyoming this year. She added more character to that rifle in 6 days than I will add in my lifetime. Wouldn't even think about giving my best hunting partner a hard time about it (gotta pick your battles).

Life is way too short, use the good china! Use those quality rifles for what they were made for.

Blaser K95 Luxus & Swaro Z6 - Been on many back pack hunts, #1 freezer filler and came home with scars from the NZ alps. The scope had a holiday at Swarovski HQ after a wee mishap. Replacement value in my currency (AUD) is about 10k.

20170425_070335-X4.jpg

i-wT5QCtD-X3.jpg
20180130_040138.jpg20180203_204603.jpghave to agree! I use my blaser for everything. Thats why I bought it!

FURMAN

WKR
I bought a Kimber Montana this year and it is by far the most expensive rifle I have ever purchased. While I like it I think I may try to upgrade for some more accuracy. Maybe a CA Ridgeline, Cooper Backcountry, Fierce or other lightweight model. Maybe even build a custom off an old rifle from my grandpa.

For those that hunt with expensive rifles what do you do, if anything, to protect the rifle from damage? Specifically, I hunt a lot of brush in the SW. The oak brush scratches at everything. All my rifles are marked up from it. After 1 day my Kimber stock is already marked up from walking through the oak.

It is character. If it really bothers you they can be refinished. I put a scope coat on my optics and that is it.

ChrisAU

WKR
My Cooper 92 now has some battle marks on the stock...which is fine after what it helped me bring home a couple weeks ago!

Cruiser

FNG
I bought a Kimber Montana this year and it is by far the most expensive rifle I have ever purchased. While I like it I think I may try to upgrade for some more accuracy. Maybe a CA Ridgeline, Cooper Backcountry, Fierce or other lightweight model. Maybe even build a custom off an old rifle from my grandpa.

For those that hunt with expensive rifles what do you do, if anything, to protect the rifle from damage? Specifically, I hunt a lot of brush in the SW. The oak brush scratches at everything. All my rifles are marked up from it. After 1 day my Kimber stock is already marked up from walking through the oak.
I worry about the attached optics more than the rifle, i.e scope caps or covers. That being said, I make sure the rifle stays clean. Scratches and dings are just part of hunting.