Hunting with expensive rifles

bpotter

Lil-Rokslider
Yup. As long as you don't rust pit the metal (includes stainless), you can make it all shiny and pretty again when it's time to rebarrel.

hodgeman

WKR
Simply put...if you're not opening a museum, don't worry about it.

My favorite rifle has been there and done that. It also looks the part. I sent it back to the maker for a new trigger a couple of years ago and got a call from their service manager who remarked "we really like getting rifles back that look like this. It means the owner is using it for what we built it for. We build some expensive rifles, but it breaks our hearts knowing that not 1 in 10 of them ever see an honest day in the field."

I have a Remington 700 sendero sf ii. I keep it clean so it won’t rust but while hunting it gets the piss beat out of it. I’m out there to enjoy the outdoors and hopefully harvest an animal not baby my rifle. Plus like stated before the scars add character.

Smithb9841

Lil-Rokslider
The only rifle I Somewhat worry about scratching is the 270 I was given by my grandpa when he passed away. This rifle is from the 60s or 70s and he hunted with most of his life. It had a scratches in it when I got it and I’ve added some but at the end of the day it was meant for hunting being out in the wilderness and killing game not looking pretty. But I’d be lying if I said I’m not more careful with it than my other rifles including my Kimber mountain ascent which is my only expensive rifle. Those mean nothing compared to my grandpas old rifle.

Last edited:

fatbacks

WKR
I'll echo what everyone else said. My rifles look worn bu tare mechanically sound. In the field I tape the muzzle and then I keep a neoprene cover on the scope to keep lenses clear and to protect against any bumps.

Dinger

WKR
Life is way too short, use the good china! Use those quality rifles for what they were made for.

Blaser K95 Luxus & Swaro Z6 - Been on many back pack hunts, #1 freezer filler and came home with scars from the NZ alps. The scope had a holiday at Swarovski HQ after a wee mishap. Replacement value in my currency (AUD) is about 10k.

20170425_070335-X4.jpg

i-wT5QCtD-X3.jpg

Outlaw99

WKR
Cooper 92’s make excellent trekking poles

Attachments

• 226F8C1B-D7E8-4CF5-99BA-7BCFC8D58E61.png
    226F8C1B-D7E8-4CF5-99BA-7BCFC8D58E61.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 84
So for me, it comes down to my own mental peace when I'm in the field and I think that's gonna look different for everyone. When I was a teen, my dad gave me a model 70 30-06. I love that gun and it took my first deer, first elk, and many others. I exclusivity carried it for over 10 years. It got a bit beat up, but I refinished the stock and kept on going. That said, one hunt, we got stuck in a freezing rain storm, we were so cold, we hopped in the truck and drove home (4 hours). When I got home, I had a tiny bit of rust on the barrel and that killed me (admittedly my fault, but we were borderline hypothermic so we weren't thinking about gear at that point)... so I ended up buying stainless/synthetic guns and now those are my primary hunting guns and the 70 is my nice weather/safe gun.

A few years back, I bought a Kimber Montana... money has been a little tight last few years... since having kids lol... and I found that I was always paranoid about the montana in the field... great gun, but the stock felt slightly fragile to me... so I sold it, bought a tikka, had 400 bucks left over for kiddo stuff, and now my wife and I both carry tikkas.

For me, at this phase of life, I try and hit the bell curve of value/quality/durability - for everyone that looks different, but for me, I get the most peace of mind out of hunting with synthetic, stainless guns.

Jsunkler

Lil-Rokslider
If you are worried about the firearm while hunting, try a rapid rifle cover or something similar. They will protect the firearm as much as you possibly could in the field, while also being somewhat ready for a quick shot.

I do not use one on my firearms as I am not too worried on the cosmetic damage that occurs to them, love the battle scars on my weapons.

My current big game rifle is a High County Stalker from Brown Precision topped with a Swaro z5. Short of my truck, its by far my most valuable item I own.

Wrench

WKR
I'm worried about beating my scope...so I run a coat on it, the stick, easily fixed.

camecolb

FNG
I bought a Kimber Montana this year and it is by far the most expensive rifle I have ever purchased. While I like it I think I may try to upgrade for some more accuracy. Maybe a CA Ridgeline, Cooper Backcountry, Fierce or other lightweight model. Maybe even build a custom off an old rifle from my grandpa.

For those that hunt with expensive rifles what do you do, if anything, to protect the rifle from damage? Specifically, I hunt a lot of brush in the SW. The oak brush scratches at everything. All my rifles are marked up from it. After 1 day my Kimber stock is already marked up from walking through the oak.

What is wrong with the accuracy of the Kimber Montana?

Nothing wrong but I think I can get something better.
There's a good thread on 24hourcampfire about accurizing the Montana. I followed it to a T and one of my first 5 shot groups with my reloads was this. Was getting great velocity too.
0829726411afc7c4d1f79d3f8d1a7076.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

16Bore

WKR
Double rifles cost as much as a truck and get schelpped all over Africa. No one seems to care.