Hunting with glasses?

4ester

WKR
Been wearing glasses for 20 years.

If you can.......get LASIK and save yourself the hassle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squamch

WKR
I wore glasses for years. They got dusty, they got rain on them, they fogged, they made binos difficult to anchor on my face.
I tried contacts, eye infucktions weren't fun.

I got lasik. I see things I had no idea were there. It was life changing.

Michael54

WKR
I always take a black cleaning cloth, because you will get a smudge on them at some point. While walking in deer hunting, I'll leave them in a case in my pocket because it's still dark. Always use a case because the first time I done that, got a huge scratch across them from my release in my pocket. The thing I HATE about glasses is, I love a face cover over my nose, especially when cold. Glasses will fog up unless nose is uncovered. I had a missed opportunity in the early stages of glasses when I exhaled just before the shot and I fogged up. Couldn't see a thing for about a min and couldn't move to ease them down...Fogging is my main complaint. Can't use rain x or other products due to the plastic lens..unless others on here have a good recommendation..
Barbasol shaving cream 😁 works wonders

So I had good long run without glasses, almost 69 years, but now my right eye (dominant) has gotten fuzzy at distance. Never had to use glasses hunting and I'm not sure how that's going to go (archery). What's the general consensus about wearing glasses while bow hunting elk? Mesh face cover, contacts or does it really matter? Who wears them and who leaves them in the truck? Thanks.

Similar boat here. Made 40+ years without glasses, then needed them for reading, now distance is better with them, but not totally needed.
This year I went back and forth with/without the glasses on elk hunt.
The good thing, they auto-tinted for the sun.
The bad, every time I used the Binos, I had to lift them to my forehead, and they got a little smudged.
Whichever you decide to do, the one thing to keep in mind is, make sure you don't forget to readjust your scope for focus!

Lasik sounds pretty awesome, I'm definitely waiting for the price to go down and some sort of "warranty" to be offered though. My ex spent $5000cdn on it and her eyes deteriorated back to their original state within approximately 2 years, no touch ups offered. If you don't work a computer job it should last quite a bit longer but it's certainly nowhere near permanent. The rain drops and fogging up is super annoying for sure, I've never been a fan of contacts in the city though where I can put them in with clean hands, I can see a few issues coming up in the backcountry when putting them in and out with hands that aren't necessarily sterile...any strategies for this? Side note, I've never had any issues glassing with glasses on, just did my research on eye relief before bino shopping and adjust my eyecups accordingly...I don't use a spotter so that may be a different story.

Terrapin

WKR
I’ve been hunting with glasses since I was 12 years old. They are a bit of a hassle, but I can’t wear contacts and I’m not willing to risk lasik.

If possible go to an eye doctor that shoots. I’ve had glasses made that don’t interfere with my anchor point for archery, and other ones that are a shape and tint that are conducive for rifle and shotgun shooting.

One other positive is they protect your eyes from UV, shooting misfires, wind, and from brush. Additionally, they make you look smart and attractive to women you’ll meet out hunting.

Terrapin

WKR
One last thing, after you get your prescription, go on Zenni Optical and buy a couple extras pairs of glasses for $39 a pair. Then cough up some serious cash and buy a good set of prescription sunglasses.

Jimss

WKR
I hate glasses...especially for looking through binos and spotter. I take my glasses or prescription sunglass on and off when glassing. It's a pain but I have them strapped around my neck so it's quick and easy. If I had the choice I'd use contacts or lazer but my eye doc said it won't work for my eyes. I feel your pain!

OP
Elk97

Elk97

WKR
Thanks for all the encouragement and suggestions, sort of a whole new world for me. Now I need regular glasses, prescription readers, sun glasses (two pairs; boat and home), prescription shooting glasses and now maybe prescription sport glasses. Sheesh, might need to get a purse :))

My wife has been buying glasses from Zenni online, amazing prices ($6.95 & up), and quality seems pretty good.

muddydogs

WKR
Thanks for all the encouragement and suggestions, sort of a whole new world for me. Now I need regular glasses, prescription readers, sun glasses (two pairs; boat and home), prescription shooting glasses and now maybe prescription sport glasses. Sheesh, might need to get a purse :))

My wife has been buying glasses from Zenni online, amazing prices ($6.95 & up), and quality seems pretty good.

Glasses really aren't that big of deal, I've been wearing them for a few years. I have no problem looking thru a scope, bino's or spotting scope with my glasses or prescription sun glasses. The lenses do get smudged by the eye cups after a while so I carry a lenses cloth in my bino harness as well as the one I carry every day in my shirt pocket.

Don't go crazy on glasses until you make sure your prescription stays stable, I prefer normal glasses and a pair of sunglasses, I tried the auto darkening glasses but didn't like them. My sunglasses have ballistic lenses and are the semi wrap around kind to help protect my eyes and keep the dust out. After the first year with glasses you will have spare glasses if you get a new pair every year, I keep last years pair of both glasses in my bathroom travel bag so I always have an extra pair. I usually get new regular glasses every year and sunglasses every 2 to 3 years but starting out or if I have a big prescription change I will get both 2 years in a row so I have an extra set.

Do you wear a ball cap? If not you will want to start, a hat with some type of bill will help keep the rain and snow off your lenses. Watch the barbecue, it's amazing how quick your lenses will have a million little grease spots on them from just flipping the burgers.

RazAlGhoul

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a long term bifocal wearer and trust me, there are times it drives me nuts. The work around I came up with might not work for anybody else, but I'll toss it out.
I leave my bifocals in the car and take a pair of reading/magnifying glasses with me in case I need to do some close up work. My distance vision is pretty good and I'm not going to take a shot if the critter is farther away than I can see clearly without glasses or a scope.

SoDaky

WKR
Total none issue for me.Bow,rifle or shotgun.Rain or shine or minus 20 like this AM.Just hunt.Only 'trouble' is where to place them in a tent at night and winter fogging/glassing when getting back in a truck from the cold.

Fatcamp

WKR
I generally do contacts with a good functional pair of glasses for backup. Sports glasses that have a band around the head instead of earpieces are what I prefer for glasses. Much more comfortable and e-z to lift up onto forehead to see well up close...If I am wearing contacts I also bring a pair of reading glasses.
These type of sports glasses are the most comfortable glasses I have ever used....if they start to fog you can leave the band a little loose and set the frame down you nose a bit so the glass gets more air flow...helps a bit. Cat Crap is a good anti-fogger.

View attachment 145301

View attachment 145302

What brand are they?

rodney482

WKR
Back in the 80’s i had to wear glasses to bowhunt. In the 90’s had the laser eye surgery.. now at age 48 im back to glasses, in low light my vision is awful.

Hate using binocs w glasses so I take them off to glass. Shooting rifles I leave them off for the shot. Shooting bow I leave them on for the shoTE26993D2-431C-43F6-9A96-741ACB837BC1.jpeg

Welcome to the club. I run three pairs...everyday, sunglasses, and hunting/shooting glasses. If you can afford it (it is not cheap having to wear these things), get a designated pair for hunting/shooting. I had my doc put lenses in a frame made by Wiley X. The frame is durable plastic, wraps to my face, and the lenses are shatter proof and also transition from clear to shaded. The transition lens I found very beneficial as the sun comes/goes throughout the day.