Hunting with glasses?

Elk97

WKR
So I had good long run without glasses, almost 69 years, but now my right eye (dominant) has gotten fuzzy at distance. Never had to use glasses hunting and I'm not sure how that's going to go (archery). What's the general consensus about wearing glasses while bow hunting elk? Mesh face cover, contacts or does it really matter? Who wears them and who leaves them in the truck? Thanks.

tdhanses

WKR
Not an issue but I’ve been wearing them since I was 12. I hate contacts. Have you looked into Laser eye surgery? I‘ll do that in the next year or so, it’ll be weird not needing glasses. I don’t worry about face covering but you can always find something or use face paint.

I've worn glasses my entire life and have bow hunted elk for 21 years. I never seen it be a problem from the elk point of view. You will most likely have to learn new anchor points as it can be a point of looking between the lenses while shooting. And of course hunting in the rain with glasses always sucks!!

OP
Elk97

Elk97

WKR
Well this is good news, thanks! I hear you about the rain, I live in NW WA. You don't think reflections off the lenses is an issue?

Lifetime glasses wearer. Just hate contacts. Especially on a multi day trip. I had two pairs of Smith Frontman glasses made, one in clear and one in Ignite lenses. Exact same optical profile, safety lenses etc. This way I can keep the anchor and sight all the same even when I shoot indoors. I’m running a set of mirror coated lenses this year. Interested to see if the elk care at close range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

satchamo

WKR
So I had good long run without glasses, almost 69 years, but now my right eye (dominant) has gotten fuzzy at distance. Never had to use glasses hunting and I'm not sure how that's going to go (archery). What's the general consensus about wearing glasses while bow hunting elk? Mesh face cover, contacts or does it really matter? Who wears them and who leaves them in the truck? Thanks.

I’ve hunted with glasses for nearly 10 years now. I have to to keep my game eyes sharp. I’ve hear people complain about possibility of sunlight glaring but being the one wearing them, I have no idea.

The only real downside for me is my glasses slide down my nose a lot and when you come to full draw I’m often looking over them to see my peep then having to take and slide them up my face at full draw just to see. That’s a fitment issue on my end though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hunting with glasses can be a real pain, but for me it is much better than contacts. You will deal with dirty glasses, fogged up lenses, water spots, and the whole where do I put these at night thing. Having said that, get some alcohol wipes, a sturdy case for storage, and make sure they fit. That covers most every issue out there.

Esse quam videri

tntrker

WKR
I always take a black cleaning cloth, because you will get a smudge on them at some point. While walking in deer hunting, I'll leave them in a case in my pocket because it's still dark. Always use a case because the first time I done that, got a huge scratch across them from my release in my pocket. The thing I HATE about glasses is, I love a face cover over my nose, especially when cold. Glasses will fog up unless nose is uncovered. I had a missed opportunity in the early stages of glasses when I exhaled just before the shot and I fogged up. Couldn't see a thing for about a min and couldn't move to ease them down...Fogging is my main complaint. Can't use rain x or other products due to the plastic lens..unless others on here have a good recommendation..

archp625

WKR
I used to wear glasses duck hunting and they would always fog and or get wet all the time. It drove me nuts. I also used to wear them turkey hunting with a face mask and my breathing would always fog them up. Drove me nuts as well. Started wearing contacts and never looked back.

I can not speak of wearing then in the PNW while elk hunting but wet/cold and glasses don't mix for me.

rtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
I've been wearing them for about 10 years hunting. They are a pain when it is raining or trying to wear a facemask because they will fog up. I like them way better than contacts. I tried several different frames before I landed on one that didn't mess with my peep sight. I've never been busted because of glare off my glasses that I know of.

OP
Elk97

Elk97

WKR
Thanks for all the replies and info. I hunt elk in MT so rain isn't usually a big issue but fogging might be. Going to research anti fog for glasses, I like a face cover that covers my nose. I haven't noticed that the glasses I have interfere with my anchor point, so that's good. They are a bit of hassle, but better than blurry vision (is that a two point or a spike?).

*zap*

WKR
I generally do contacts with a good functional pair of glasses for backup. Sports glasses that have a band around the head instead of earpieces are what I prefer for glasses. Much more comfortable and e-z to lift up onto forehead to see well up close...If I am wearing contacts I also bring a pair of reading glasses.
These type of sports glasses are the most comfortable glasses I have ever used....if they start to fog you can leave the band a little loose and set the frame down you nose a bit so the glass gets more air flow...helps a bit. Cat Crap is a good anti-fogger.

Bigjay73

Lil-Rokslider
I take them off. My depth perception sucks while wearing them, makes trekking through rough trails and rocky areas a pita. I have magnified safety glasses I wear when it's time to shoot my open sight ML, or regular safety glasses for scoped rifles.

MikeDaily

FNG
I only wear glasses. No trouble shooting out to 400 yards and no trouble with target acquisition at 40 yards.

I rifle and recurve hunt so I'm not sure how they work with a compound.

In very cold situations glasses will fog up if you have a face cover, just gotta breath slower or force it down more.

PhlyanPan

FNG
I've had to start wearing glasses as well. Started about 10 years ago I was having trouble reading road signs at distance. I can't stand them in the woods. Any time I have a face mask on they fog instantly. They interfere with my binoculars and the frame is right in the middle of my vision when I try to look through a rifle scope.
Bottom line, I just don't use them if I can avoid it. I use my binoculars a lot more as a result. The only time I can't really do without them is waterfowl. Without them I just can't pick the birds up far enough away to react.

I too am considering the laser corrective surgery. My wife has it and has been ecstatic. I've got a buddy who's in a similar situation. He's started wearing contacts and seems to do ok with it but it's a pain.

rclouse79

WKR
I archery hunted with glasses for the first time last year and I loved everything except taking them off to glass or when they fogged up. I ended up losing them on the mountain when I took them off and didn’t put them in the case. I am going to have to check out the athletic glasses with a band idea.

pbcarch

WKR
I wear glasses but only hunt (and all activities ) with contacts. I will sometimes target shoot with glasses on but the one time i tried bow hunting with glasses i lost too much peripheral vision for my liking.

Now going out west is a pain with contacts as i have glasses, reading glasses and them all my contact stuff. ...oh and i forgot prescription sunglasses for the drive out ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jspradley

WKR
Worst part for me is glassing, not the end of the world but its a bit annoying having to take my glasses off to look through my binos. In a pinch I can look through them fine with the eyecups all the way in but for long glassing sessions I take them off