Hunting with horses

Codyrayh

FNG
So my dad and I are planning our first archery elk hunt in Colorado. 3rd & 4th week. I have been pouring over onX for weeks and think I have few spots possibly picked out. What my debate is if I want to take horses or not. We have several that we use and ride daily and know horses so that's not the problem. The spots I have picked out would only be around a 4 mile ride into where we would possibly set up camp. I know the horses would be great to pack in with and pack out with, especially if we are lucky enough to fill a tag. My question is are they much use once you are in. Does any one ride to different locations then tie them up for a couple of hours and hunt, or is it to much trouble to come back water and graze them then go again? Also can you go off trail with them in wilderness or is most two thick or steep (units 78/81). Thanks for any help on this.

Bl704

WKR
Didn't hunt with them, but a friend used them to pack out. Dont laugh...1 deboned elk, in 1 trip.
464678931a0c354eea71340fd77f6438.jpg

mtmuley

WKR
My advice would be leave them home. Or, just pack in camp with them. Bet they don't behave coming up on an elk kill like a hog kill. I haven't used horses in a long time. But, getting horses to the point we trusted them just mountain riding, much less packing, took a bit. mtmuley

cnelk

WKR
Yeah. I agree with mtmuley.
Hunting with horses sure sounds romantic, but during archery season it can be long days away from camp.

In 2015, my buddy and I went in 5 mi to WY wilderness with his horses to archery hunt elk.
But his wife took them back out. Spent 9 days and then she brought them back in to pack us out.

Maybe if you had someone to stay in camp to keep an eye on them, rotate and water, that would work.

I did the horse thing 25 years ago, sure worked good when we hunted the later rifle seasons.

pMDMXvu.jpg

We took horses in the unit next to the units you mentioned the last 2 years....no problems. We use them other in OTC units as well on a regular basis. There are a couple things to consider - altitude, paper work, etc . If interested in discussing, shoot me a PM.

I didn’t use horses in 78 when I hunted there three years ago in 2nd rifle. Kind of wish I had during that season. Elk were way far back in and it was very steep terrain. There were outfitters taking guys way back in 5-6 miles for a drop camp and they used mules. It was a little disheartening to kill myself hiking up a steep two mile trail just to run into the mule train coming back down the mountain without any riders on them.

Depending on where you are in that unit I’d say you’ll probably have to stick to the trails. It’s steep and I wouldnt want to go off trail with a horse...maybe a mule. While we were there a guy was riding a horse in one morning back a narrow trail. Both the horse and rider went over a cliff. The rider survived.

The other thing to consider is altitude. Not sure where you are from but it may take the horses some time adjust to the air. (I’m no expert on this so I could be wrong) Guys in our camp came in from Texas. Their stock didn’t cooperate very well and I’m guessing altitude and lack of mountain experience made the horses irritable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tenstrike

Lil-Rokslider
It sounds like this trip will include many first experiences, first western hunt, first elk hunt, first time taking horses out west. Since your camp location is four miles in and it is your first experience with this type of hunt you may want to leave the horses at home and maybe locate an outfitter who would be willing to haul out an elk if you are successful. Taking horses would add so many additional steps that not taking the horses would allow you to concentrate on your camp setup and hunting and not on horse chores. When taking horses out west there are several things to consider, special shoes, vet checks, brand inspection, hobbles, high-lines, water, feed, and many other things. After the first trip you can use your experience to determine if horses may work for you in the future. If you do take the horses you will learn a lot but may not be able to enjoy the hunting as much.

PAhunter58

Lil-Rokslider
I did a horseback hunt with an outfitter for 3rd Rifle in 18. The unit was in the SW and horses were a definite advantage. I'm pretty certain you could not effectively hunt the unit I was in, without horses. One thing I did learn was horses spook Elk just as easily as hunters do. As for a pack out, that decision is a no brainer. We tied up the horses and left them for hours on end during my hunt. If you have em, you should em, in my opinion.

Bulldawg

WKR
My opinion on horses, if I could have a place to leave them where offing have to feed or water them daily or even think about them it would be priceless to have them for packing out and sometimes in for a more comfortable camp. But taking them and hunting with them daily is so much work, and it’s one more thing to worry about and I don’t hunt as much as I do without them. When I’m guiding they are priceless because I can get a fat guy up on the mountain to where the elk are, and at base camp there is a lot of us there to take care of them and make sure they are watered and fed. When I hunt for myself I never take them, I hike, hunt, kill, then pack out go get the horses and pack the meat out a day or two later. It is nice being able to ride to the animal and load it up and ride out with an entire elk in one shot.

Mike 338

WKR
4 miles as the crow flies is nothing. 4 miles through the mountains is far from nothing. Once your there, you'll be moving so add extra miles away from camp if you get something down. Managing horses can be a pain but compared to hauling your camp and meat, it can be less of a pain. Where I hunt, there's nothing to graze on other than maybe tree bark so you'll have to pack in your own feed if that's how it is for your spot. You'll also need a very good water supply, preferably something you can dip out of. I've seen sheep herders stake a picket line to the ground and put their horses on it with a one-foot hobble. That way they can lay down and/or slide up or down the line. Could be helpful but I havent tried it. I can tell you that hauling meat out of a deep hole and up a mountain is pretty darn difficult and most guys who do it a few times then begin to ponder pack animals.

Mike 338

WKR
My opinion on horses, if I could have a place to leave them where offing have to feed or water them daily or even think about them it would be priceless to have them for packing out and sometimes in for a more comfortable camp. But taking them and hunting with them daily is so much work, and it’s one more thing to worry about and I don’t hunt as much as I do without them. When I’m guiding they are priceless because I can get a fat guy up on the mountain to where the elk are, and at base camp there is a lot of us there to take care of them and make sure they are watered and fed. When I hunt for myself I never take them, I hike, hunt, kill, then pack out go get the horses and pack the meat out a day or two later. It is nice being able to ride to the animal and load it up and ride out with an entire elk in one shot.

That makes a lot of sense if the weather is cold and your close enough to snag your horses when you score.

OP
C

Codyrayh

FNG
thanks for the comments guys. I think we are going to take them and just go for it. They def have there pros and cons. Being our fist trip and the chance at actually connecting with an elk slim at least with the horses we will be able to cover and learn the country for future trips and then we will know if we want to bring them next time. We have several practice pack trips planned in the Ozarks to prepare so that could change our mind. Thanks again for the comments.

Bbell12

WKR
My brother and I take horses into 81 every year. Where we go is 8 miles into the wilderness area with about 3000’ of elevation gain. It would take the normal hiker all day to get back there but we do it in 4 hours.

To us, the horses are worth their weight in gold. But we grew up around them our whole lives and the ones we take are very well behaved so maintaining them while we’re there is a breeze.

Had a buddy kill an elk one year in the spot we usually camp, took him and his brother 3 days to pack out. Ended up being 3 trips (50 miles of hiking, half were loaded heavy). My brother and I do that same pack out in one trip with nothing on our backs.