Hunting with Stock out of State

Zackcarp

FNG
So please educate me.
I'm taking llamas from Arizona to Colorado for some hunting and fishing, then coming back to Arizona. Our drive will take me through New Mexico.

So for those of you who take stock to other states, do you get a health certificate and all the other jazz that states require to "import" an animal? Is hunting for a week to 10 days considered importing an animal to the state? I've been in contact with my vet, who is fairly new, and he doesn't seem to know. It also says on the health certificate that I need to put a physical address of where the animals will be, which obviously won't be possible at a trail head.

What am I missing? TIA

wyosteve

WKR
Not sure what llamas would need, but horses need a negative Coggins certificate if going through another state. Best would be to call the Livestock agency in the states you're passing through.

nickstone

WKR
The regulations are state specific and vary greatly. You're not even required to have a CVI to enter California with llamas, and until very recently Montana required you to have TB and Brucellosis test in addition to a CVI.

Some states won't require anything if you are just passing through and not unloading.

I have been told that GPS in lieu of an address is acceptable by agencies, however I elected to put a nearby physical address.

Some states will also require your vet to call in and get a permit number to list on the inspection if it's paper and not electronic.

jmez

WKR
Look at dept of agriculture page for Colorado. The requirements will be listed there. You don't need anything extra for passing through states. Only what's required for final destination.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

I hear a pile of horror stories regarding stock across state lines…I think most of its BS…. .

For Equines; I get a health certificate and a yearly coggins test, have my brand inspection for each animal and have been asked to produce them a total of ZERO times…..

The only thing I get asked to produce is certified weed free hay/grass tags.

I’ve had my animals from Idaho, Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, Montana and Arizona.

Stock inspectors in NM are notorious for stopping people in that part of the state you'll be passing through. I would highly recommended getting health certs. I don't worry about it when I go from NM to CO but I have been stopped twice on my way to AZ, and know a number of folks that get stopped regularly in western NM/estern AZ

wysongdog

WKR
Coggins, health certificate and brand inspection. And you are covered to go anywhere. Stopping at the ports is a waste if time even tho the signs say to. I went in with my papers multiple times and they had no clue why I was there and what my papers meant lol.

OP
Zackcarp

Zackcarp

FNG
So an update, I got my health certificates done. First trip to Colorado, no one stopped or ask. Second trip, I was pulled over by a NM livestock agent, then ran into a CPW officer and both asked for paper work. So it was a good thing we got it done.

Good deal! NM inspectors are pretty active.

Also if you can get your health cert as a PDF, that can be helpful for multiple fall or summer trips that are outside the 30 day window that most states issue certs for.

So please educate me.
I'm taking llamas from Arizona to Colorado for some hunting and fishing, then coming back to Arizona. Our drive will take me through New Mexico.

So for those of you who take stock to other states, do you get a health certificate and all the other jazz that states require to "import" an animal? Is hunting for a week to 10 days considered importing an animal to the state? I've been in contact with my vet, who is fairly new, and he doesn't seem to know. It also says on the health certificate that I need to put a physical address of where the animals will be, which obviously won't be possible at a trail head.

What am I missing? TIA

You probably figured it out but a specific address isn’t necessary and not really possible. We bring horses to Colorado and on the health certificate my vet just lists the name of the area I’m heading to. (white river NF, marron bells WA, etc).