“Huntress” charged with several wildlife crimes

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think some of that online “prestige” might inflate the ego a bit much and then can often lead to trouble down the road. This isn’t the first online “celebrity” hunter that has found themselves on the wrong end of the law.

IdahoElk

WKR
I have found through personal experience with more than a few locals that have claimed to be "All that and more" that Ego eventually wins out and laws are broken to keep the "reputation" alive.
I personally caught and reported our valleys "best" archery hunter using a rifle during archery season, another shooting a 6 point two days after the season closed and also the valleys "best" deer hunter shooting a contest winning buck on his Grandmas tag.
Hunting competitions bring the worst out in the hunting community.

WRM

WKR
'True character' is who we are when no one is watching.....

And to think my main concern is making sure it's legal light--even after I've heard guns going off all around me well before or after. Glad I only have to focus on one main thing.

ODB

WKR
Maybe if we stop making a game of killing animals some of this bullshit would stop.

End the record books
End the reality TV
End the endorsements
End the social media

In short:
De-Monetize
De-Glorify
De-Publicize

You may have heard that sentiment before.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've always wondered how many great deer/elk/PH are taken before legal hunters even have a chance. I'll bet, we legal ethical hunters, grossly underestimate the amount of game take illegally.

having spent 24 years as a game warden, I think you’re correct

50+ years ago you obviously had game animals poached to feed families- that’s the past, today most poaching is rooted solidly in ego and money

WRM

WKR

50+ years ago you obviously had game animals poached to feed families- that’s the past, today most poaching is rooted solidly in ego and money

I think I'd concur with that. Oddly, we now have way more game where I live than we ever had when I was a kid. Difference is--land got closed off and leased, land got developed as people moved in, etc, etc. Bottom line--the old school poachers who rode the entire county at night, every night, and shot whatever popped out are highly limited (if not gone) now. Mostly it's just asshats doing as they please because they know the odds are they won't get caught.

Sled

WKR

it's amazing to watch the human mind rationalize poor or illegal decisive actions. poaching will always be an issue. continuing to condone it is on us as a group (ie. muley freak).

trophy hunting aside, as opportunity declines, i believe you'll see a rise in non trophy poaching as well.

I watch some of those game warden shows with my son.
I tell ya, I would LOVE to set up those poaching traps.
However, those are geared towards legal hunters during hunting season, doing dumb things like shooting on private property or shooting from road/car or shooting before/after legal light.

It would be very satisfying to nail the elusive BIG game poacher!

:D

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I have always wondered what processes people to take such risk knowing the consequences of their action will be their down fall. Could it be ego?

Maybe if we stop making a game of killing animals some of this bullshit would stop.

End the record books
End the reality TV
End the endorsements
End the social media

In short:
De-Monetize
De-Glorify
De-Publicize

You may have heard that sentiment before.

Or, make it a requirement that all flat brim hats (lids) need to be bright, flaming, florescent hot pink with a purple stripe that runs front to back.

Last edited:

Okhotnik

WKR

Growing a poor rural farming community poaching was very common over 40 years ago. Many of my friends' families would shoot wt does to feed their families.

bsnedeker

WKR
I have always wondered what processes people to take such risk knowing the consequences of their action will be their down fall. Could it be ego?
That dopamine hit you get from being validated on social media is no joke for some people. I think it's just like any other type of addiction for people...consequences be damned.