Hunts to plan

gunsmith89

Lil-Rokslider
With the price and points going up each year on elk I am starting to look into options of some other hunts to put on a buck list. Moose and Caribou are at the top of the list for me. The factors that I am finding is in the last few years the more reputable places are becoming fairly expensive and there is not as much option for the DIY hunters which I would be fine with. I am not looking to drop my life savings for a trophy more of for the experience.

I currently do an elk hunt every year all public DIY with archery and a west river mule deer hunt which is slowly becoming more of a friends trip with the preference points going up each year. I am 30 years old and would consider myself to be in very good shape.

Does anyone have any experiences they would feel free to share on any of their hunts. Any locations, outfitter/guide to go with or stay away from? I would really like to pick something for a good overall experience and if there is a waiting list that is fine. Size of the kill is not as important as the overall experience. I would like to try filling with Trad gear but am not opposed to rifle either as my wife is happier when I bring home meat then wall decorations ;).

ItemB

Lil-Rokslider
Following this thread hopefully you get some good replies. I am in about the same boat as you. And recently had a conversation with guy in his 60s about my recent elk hunt. And one thing he kept saying was how he wishes he went on more hunting trips when he was younger.

OP
gunsmith89

gunsmith89

Lil-Rokslider
When my grandpa was younger he lived life to the fullest! He did a grand slam, shot a polar bear, has several goats, mountain lions and a full room of memories and mounts. Him and I were talking a couple weeks ago about his hunts and he said he couldn't remember but those were relativity inexpensive when he did them. I told him some of his sheep hunts would cost as much as his house now. He chuckled.

I would like to do some adventure hunts over trophy. The rams will most likely not happen in my life time but I think moose, caribou and mountain goat are definitely doable and maybe a brown bear hunt when my kids graduate if I am still in good shape.

glass eye

FNG
I am financially poor but rich in time. I'm a self employed taxidermist. Every year I go on multiple adventures on a shoe string. Repeat locations are New Zealand, Hawaii, and Alaska.
All inclusive expenses are NZ under $2,000. Hawaii under $2k. Alaska under $1,000

Where there's a will, there's a way. No skin off my back if you don't believe me.

Check out my you tube channel BreckTaxi

fwafwow

WKR
Subscribed.

FWIW, I recently did my first elk (DIY) hunt and loved it, even though we didn't harvest an animal. While I'm not rich, my challenges are time (in any given year, and at 49 I'm already dreading the day when I won't have as many options due to age). Would be open to DIY like the OP, but also realize there is value to paying someone, especially in certain environments or locations. Would be great to figure out a destination where the wife could go and do something fun.... Heard great things about NZ but haven't done any research.

You can hunt black bear in Ontario for $2-3k depending on travel.

caribou can be DIY. Moose is going to be more money but doable.

Blacktails on kodiak. Just did this trip with my Dad. What an awesome experience. Beautiful country, ample game, not very expensive and no long wait lists for transporters to contend with.

MTNRCHR

Lil-Rokslider
New Zealand was a great adventure hunt. I also enjoyed my auodad hunt last year, very challenging, but very rewarding.

Boiler

Lil-Rokslider
Glass eye, I'd love some details on your method for Hawaii and New Zealand if you can without putting yourself out. A pm with a few details would be much appreciated! That video was awesome!
I am financially poor but rich in time. I'm a self employed taxidermist. Every year I go on multiple adventures on a shoe string. Repeat locations are New Zealand, Hawaii, and Alaska.
All inclusive expenses are NZ under $2,000. Hawaii under $2k. Alaska under $1,000

Where there's a will, there's a way. No skin off my back if you don't believe me.

Check out my you tube channel BreckTaxi

glass eye

FNG
Blacktails on kodiak. Just did this trip with my Dad. What an awesome experience. Beautiful country, ample game, not very expensive and no long wait lists for transporters to contend with.
Kodiak is on my short list. Maybe in 2 years, next year is either Cold Bay for Emperor Goose or Cape Cod for Black ducks and eider.

glass eye

FNG
Glass eye, I'd love some details on your method for Hawaii and New Zealand if you can without putting yourself out. A pm with a few details would be much appreciated! That video was awesome!
The biggest expense with NZ is the airfare and I signed up for email notifications of special discount prices with NZ airlines. Always got RT air from LAX for under $1k with my best price at $734. NZ has plenty of public land and you can hunt big game in National Parks. No license or tags for big game, no limit, either sex, no closed season. Only if you hunt birds or if you fish do you need to buy a license. Helicopter drop camp is cheap, $350NZ RT pp.
In all my hunts I mostly camp out wherever I go. In NZ I rent a camper van for $18NZ per day, converted to $US it's about $12 and split with a friend $6 each.
Alaska: I get free RT airfare with Alaska Airlines mileage program. Only Brn/Grizz, Dall Sheep, and Mt. Goat require a guide for non-residents. I outfit myself and my friends with light weight quality backpacking equipment.
In Hawaii I camp out except for on Lana'i where I rent hunter housing and 4x4. Alaska Airlines from the west coast to Hawaii isn't expensive and Alaska Airlines mileage plan gives you an annual companion fare deal where someone can travel with you RT for $122. Every year I take my wife to Hawaii to hunt. Been to all the islands.
It all depends on your needs. I have a friend who has gone with me but he can't handle sleeping in a tent. We are still friends but we don't plan hunts together unless it involves nice hotels.
I can sleep anywhere and I prefer not to spend a fortune just to close my eyes.