Hunts with a higher percentage to lose your life

MThuntr

WKR
Anything with horses.

Agreed anything with horses seems to be a high risk. I've saw an entire pack string explode in the Bob Marshall because someone stood up too quickly. Gear scattered across the forest. Took 4 hours to find most of it and the animals. Luckily nobody was saddled up

Different trip and outfitter, one horse didn't want this particular animal behind him so he kept bucking to kick the follow horse. Tossed the rider off and luckily there was a hill on the side the rider fell off so he only fell a couple feet. Rider chose to walk the remaining 11 miles to camp. Same trip, the outfitter close fist punched a horse...like Mongo from Blazing Saddles.

I think the most dangerous place to be is the place your unprepared for. My biggest danger is the weather ,everything else i can control. Thar and Chamois are ones that require a bit more thought but thats because the environment they live in .I would struggle a bit over in your country simply because there are so many thing that you guys need to watch other than environment that i never even think about because we dont have anything like bears ,snakes ect. The more you know about where your hunting and the skills needed to hunt that area the better of you will be

TheGDog

WKR
Now can someone explain to me why I need to wear orange so that someone doesn't line up a perfect heart shot on me before figuring out I'm not a deer?
Because a lot of a-holes (especially young hunters) use their rifles optic in place of their binos. And a lot of hunters, young hunters especially are spazzes with twitchy trigger fingers.

Because a lot of a-holes (especially young hunters) use their rifles optic in place of their binos. And a lot of hunters, young hunters especially are spazzes with twitchy trigger fingers.
Have you heard of any statistic of how many hunters are shot by other hunters?

TheGDog

WKR
Have you heard of any statistic of how many hunters are shot by other hunters?
Actually I was basing it on an incident last year when some dudes 15yo daughter pointed her rifle dead-on at me @ 200yds away. You cannot imagine the horror of spinning your 15x binos on the tripod to look over there... and seeing this youth pointing a high-powered rifle... DEAD-ON at you in HD! I didn't want to give up my position in case game was near, which it seemed it was with the way these road hunters hurried to pullover and let them off. But fearing for my life. in a split-second I decided I had to say something. To which I yelled out "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING!? HE'S POINTED RIGHT AT ME!!!" Upon hearing that, the girl then points her rifle a bit more towards behind of me. Approx 2 min later... KAPOW!!...THUD!!! Her shot hit 20yds behind me! Look over and they are jumping up and down! My head sunk.... I already knew what had happened. There was a buck behind me. Upwind of me. If they weren't there, this would have been my buck. Anyway.. the spot is obviously blown now, so I pack up my stuff and walk over there to impress upon the father how dangerous what just went down already is. He apologized.... but it was a cursory apology. Not anywhere NEAR as heart-felt or as apologetic as you'd expect it should be. BUT... it was her first buck... and I figured this troglodytes attention couldn't be split among too many things at once... so I left it alone and proceeded to leave the area.

Michael54

WKR
Not me but a coworkers husband. She was ranting and raving about her husband going on a sheep hunt. She asked me if I've ever went or wanted to. My response was "i'd love to but don't know if i could ever get to the point where i could afford that hunt." her face turned purple, I'm pretty sure her keyboard took the thrashing of its life due to her google searches.....sorry buddy whoever you are....

Michael54

WKR
Also pennsylvania first day of pheasant. Only hunting day where i make sure to have eye protection......

AKBorn

WKR
My closest call was a Bush Plane in SW AK.
Landing on top of a wet, tundra covered ridge
that was apparently not long enough.
I distinctly remember looking down at those big
tundra tires that were locked up, but we weren't
slowing down.........at all.

Back in 2006 I was hunting moose out of Tok Alaska. We flew into the bush late afternoon, and the pilot started trying to land on a specific ridge - the ridge was fairly short, and the winds were NOT cooperating. I remember getting my camcorder out and thinking, if we crash, at least my camcorder can serve as a record of what happened...

Pilot made a good decision and dropped us on a nearby ridge that had more area to take off and land, and that wasn't fighting the crosswinds so much. I have done quite a few bush plane flights, that's the only time I can recall thinking "Not sure we're gonna pull this off".

FLAK

WKR
To He## with horses, I've about give up on tree stands (just not worth it), always wear a life jacket and kill switch in a boat, Orange whenever possible.
The only time I've been "shot" was on a Dove hunt. Somebody couldnt resist a low flying bird. They were prolly 200 yards away. Pellet stuck in the skin on my knee.

FlyGuy

WKR
Interesting topic. I tend to believe less serious injuries happen when you are afraid. Like the saying that “as ling as you are afraid of the motorcycle you’ll be fine”. So there is the danger you are aware of and prepared for, but it tends to be the ones you underestimate that get you.

Folks absolutely get hurt by grizzlies, but most everyone is so keyed in on that danger that I think that keeps a lot of the incidents down. Driving to the hunt probably kills the most I would guess. As others have said, tree stands hurt/kill a lot of people every year. Obviously lots more instances, but so many people just don’t think anything of it and get hurt bad. Anytime you are elevated by 6 feet or more you are at serious risk. I don’t do it often, but I always use a harness these days. Never did until I was an adult tho. Like a for-real adult, post 40.

Duck hunting doesn’t seem dangerous but it truly is. Being in or on water in very low temps is a dangerous situation just waiting for a victim. Then throw in boats, speed, trees and darkness... and then shotguns being moved all around and in very close proximity to one another. Bad shit can happen fast.

Never had the chance to hunt Mtn goats, but I hunted ibex solo earlier this year in the Florida Mtns of NM and the nearly constant fear of falling to my death had me completely exhausted at the end of each day. Next time I draw that tag I’m bringing ropes and light climbing gear to keep it safer. But, I was scared shitless, which limited the areas I would go into and when I did take a risk I was on full alert.

You can’t cheat the mountain

Hunting is fairly low risk. In all of New York there was one fatal hunting accident in 2019.

Discounting heart failure, I'm guessing falls kill more people than anything else. Getting shot in an area with lots of hunters or self discharge second. Lightning third. Grizzlies unimaginably small percentage. Out of over 10 million people who hunt each year, less than 25 per year died by grizzly. That's 0.0002%. Put another way, 9,999,975 were not killed by grizzly.
If that statistic is true then I worked with the one guy that got shot and killed last year hunting in NY. I guess they were mostly new to hunting and doing a drive on state land. His own uncle shot him in the chest with a high powered rifle shooting at a deer between the shooters and the sitters. Personally I've always thought deer drives are dangerous.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

WKR

WKR
Running into a crazy old timer in the Lolo and agreeing to follow him up a two track in the middle of the night in a blizzard.

He had a moose tag and knew no one would be up there with the recent snow, but didn't want to go alone. We thought "what the heck, we'll check out some new ground and help this crazy old man".

Chained up and away we went. Watched him come dang close to sliding his 90s Silverado over the edge twice. Had to scrape around a huge boulder that had tumbled off the mountain. Had to take one chain off my truck and put on his after he threw one. Plowed snow with the bumpers almost the entire way.

That was a butt-puckering ~50 mile, 12 hour ride across that mountain and we didn't even stop to look at the area we went up to check out.

Probably the most scared I've been for a long time. We were glad to get out of the snow on the other side of the mountain.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Well? Did he get his moose?

MattB

WKR
I bet tre stands kill more hunters each year than any other means of hunting.

Mosby

WKR
Three of my coaches growing up died hunting. Two were deer hunting. One was turkey hunting.

All were in their 60's, newly retired and out of shape. All climbed mountains they weren't prepared for and put themselves into cardiac arrest. All hunting is dangerous if you aren't physically up for it.