Hunts with a higher percentage to lose your life

Well? Did he get his moose?
Not sure. We went across the mountain and dropped down out of the snow...slept in our trucks and when I woke up he was gone. I have his daughter's cell number from the message he sent her on my inReach. Always thought about texting her and asking. The guy might've slid his truck off the mountain after he left us, who knows.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Mtnboy

WKR
Idaho is a super dangerous place to hunt, I’d recommend looking elsewhere for your own safety.

ChrisA

WKR
I don't party hunt deer in Iowa anymore, hit the dirt many times driving deer to the standers; not a fan of 12 gauge slugs zinging in my proximity. Ofcourse this group likes to have an eye opener of bloody Marys to start the season and nurse Old Milwaukee between drives. Never again.

Chris

PA Archer

FNG
Horses definitely up the chances on any hunt like has been said on here. In 2010 when I worked for an outfitter in Wyoming we had a hunter get rolled on by a horse and had to get search and rescue to help extract him from the wilderness. He ended up being alright just banged up but also had some other guys come off horses but nothing serious. Also would rise through some cliff sides in the dark and the hunters be ok because they couldn't see the slope only to come back in the daylight and walk the same trail because they didn't trust the horses and didn't want to fall off the slope.

FlyGuy

WKR
Anyone listen to that exo podcast where the airmed helicopter search and rescue team (pilot, nurse & paramedic) was in the wilderness (off duty) and had to call for a search and rescue airlift evacuation for a team member that got rolled on by a horse? Crazy stuff.

I’ve never hunted with horses. I want to one day just b/c of that image I’ve always had in my mind as a kid about elk hunting usually had horses in it. But since I’m not around them enough and I’m still in good enough condition to just walk/pack it on my own, the dangers keep outweighing the benefits. (Plus somebodies got to feed them and water them and tend to them and I’d just rather be hunting or sleeping.)

You can’t cheat the mountain

Mtnboy

WKR
Your comment adds a great deal of value to this conversation.

Almost as much as your comment on my comment.

Sorry I couldn't add anything as riveting as driving on a mountain road, in the snow, with chains on....I mean, how did you even survive? I can't even imagine how scary that must have been.

Last edited:
Almost as much as your comment on my comment.

Sorry I couldn't add anything as riveting as driving on a mountain road, in the snow, with chains on....I mean, how did you even survive? I can't even imagine how scary that must have been.
I hope you feel superior. Have a nice day.

mgacf

FNG
Statistically, you’re probably more likely to die falling out of a tree stand hunting whitetail in your backyard or just having a heart attack in the field. Even out west, I know our local search and rescue teams usually gather at least 1-2 guys up a year, especially if there is significant weather.

Heart attacks, vehicle accidents/rollovers (mostly atv) and horse accidents, just don’t get national attention like a bear attack. But they are happening all the time,

That's the truth! It's when you least expect it and have your guard down.