Husqvarna Rifle Info?

Elite

WKR
Hello I have recently found a Husqvarna in 308 for sale. It has a bell and Carlson stock added and has been fiberglass bedded. Has a 20inch barrel. I am wondering how accurate these are and the weight? Will be used for sheep hunting. I have attached pictures of the model

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Smithb9841

Lil-Rokslider
I am Not sure on the history of when they stopped making them but I have an old 270 that was passed down to Me From my grandpa that he had since the 60’s. And I love it, shoots 1” groups all day. Mine has a shorter barrel and an old wood stock and isnt too heavy not sure how the weight would compare but It is my favorite rifle probably sentimental reasons mostly but I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase another. The action on mine looks very similar to the one pictured so not sure how much they changed over the years or even when they stopped producing them

Saw alotnof those in Germany. It should be just your standard mouser action. The stock is aftermarket. Should be a good shooter. If you can get your hands on it and feel the triggers, that will tell you if it has been to a smith.

Hardly an expert on the Husqvarna rifles but I do know they built some really great ones in the old days. Can't really tell a lot from the picture - if you could get a better picture of the action it would help. Depending on the year it was manufactured, it could have a a model 1640 or a 1900 action. Not sure about which years used which but think the model 1900 was a bit newer. On the weight who knows, depends on the stock but I would guess its no lightweight - Mauser actions typically aren't on the lighter side when comparing actions.

It is a great rifle though, been looking for a clean older Husqvarna for a long time. If you can get this one for a good price get it, you could always have it rebarreled or restocked with something more lightweight??

Forest

WKR
My dad has an old 270. I havent spent much time behind it but he shoots it better than any other gun. Also for whatever reason it is the smoothest bolt I've handled.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
Thanks for all the input guys! Might be worth going to look at it and see how it feels in the hands first

VernAK

WKR
I have two.....a 1600 and a 4100. These are very high quality Mauser action rifles. I suspect yours is the 1600 action
and probably the lightweight with that barrel length. Not enough pics to be sure.

How much $$$$$?

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
I have two.....a 1600 and a 4100. These are very high quality Mauser action rifles. I suspect yours is the 1600 action
and probably the lightweight with that barrel length. Not enough pics to be sure.

How much $$$$$?

Do you know how light the trigger pull is? Are they a accurate gun? It only weighs 5.25 pounds. I’m probably going to pick it up if they shoot good? He is asking $750 CDN

Dirt Wagon

Lil-Rokslider
$750 seems a bit high high to me, but I don't know Husqvarna's go for off hand. I usually just watch Gunbroker items to see what they sell for, there's 3 lightweight models listed there now that are still priced in the $400 range so far chambered in 270 & 30-06.

Unless you're collector of Husqvarna's I'd be hesitant to pay premium money on an older used gun unless there's an absolute need to own it. Being an older gun for that price I'd insist to take the stock off the insure there wasn't any rust that's out of sight. Most people just clean the outside of the guns after use, but getting caught out in the rain and not properly cleaning up inside can lead to a lot of hidden rust issues.

Since it's going to be a hunting rifle, i'd look for something that isn't considered a collectible. And if you're going to be spending that much money there are other options out there.

750 Canadian funds ....I say if you really like the rifle,why not it's pretty lite and a conversation piece to be sure that I bet shoots well to boot so hey why not .

T28w

WKR
Learned something today. I thought it was a typo when I saw husqvarna.

Dirt Wagon

Lil-Rokslider
750 Canadian funds ....I say if you really like the rifle,why not it's pretty lite and a conversation piece to be sure that I bet shoots well to boot so hey why not .

Calculated into US accuracy then that makes it $570, all depends if the gun is accurate enough after all those years of use. Still much of a gamble to see how accurate it is at extended ranges, compared to a new rifle that has the accuracy guarantee included in the warranty.

When I buy older rifles I only consider it a 200-300 yard gun until I can prove it's accurate enough to take longer shots with it. Husqvarna's are good for custom actions and that's why most people will pay a higher price for them, so if you have plans to use it that way then I say go for it.

VernAK

WKR
Do you know how light the trigger pull is? Are they a accurate gun? It only weighs 5.25 pounds. I’m probably going to pick it up if they shoot good? He is asking $750 CDN

Considering it's Canadian Dollars, the price is acceptable if it's in good condition and it's the cartridge/caliber you want. Most that I see are 30-06 and 270W at about $500 USD with beechwood stock. The 9.3x62s bring a premium price and I'd love to find a nice one.......I'd take a 4100 in 270 if I could find one. Usually the trigger is 3-4 pounds. My 4100 had a Timney in it when I bought it. The 4100 is the same as the 1600 with a walnut stock. A very nice traditional rifle.

There are far more Huskies in Canada than in US. Most of the Huskies in Alaska were sold through the military Base Exchange stores. Old retired Vets here paid $75 for theirs back in the 60s. There's a company in Canada that specializes in Husqvarna firearms and I'll post that name when I find it.

If importing to USA wasn't such a PIA, I'd be headed to that outfit to buy some rifles.

The trigger pull depends first on what action it is - the 1640 or 1900. As has been alluded to, the 1640 is an "improved" mauser design (claw extractor) while the 1900 is a completely different, push feed design (introduced in the early 1970s). The 1640 has a non-adjustable trigger that can range from good to barely acceptable. The 1900 trigger is adjustable and nice. I strongly suspect the one you are looking at is the 1640 (more common than the 1900). If so, there are some after-market solutions for the trigger, including one from Huber Concepts. If someone has restocked it and bedded it, maybe they also did a trigger job?

SoDaky

WKR
First rifle I purchased with my own funds.About 1960.Shot my first deer with it.270 lightweight with Schnabel style forend.Great rifle,damn fool to ever sell it.

Can't see the picture but if it is a large ring then it is a FN 98 and there are tons of options for aftermarket stuff.

If it is a small ring (1600, 1640...) then finding stuff can be hard. These "improved Mausers" are awesome rifles though. Simpson LTD is the best place to look for pricing. $570 seems pretty high.

Kent